News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

child products with different size attributes

Started by dsrpmedia, March 09, 2012, 02:51:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jochem8

mowgs

Hi, thanks to everyone so far for adding your workarounds - VM has become a nightmare to work with!!!

Loris - Thanks for posting your variants with the fleece jacket.  I'm trying to come up with a similar pattern.  Our next client runs a lingerie business, and creating a Bra/Brief Set is looking like its going to be virtually impossible in VM.

We are going to need variants for colour, and 2 seperate sizes for Bra and Briefs - I've pretty much given up on the idea of stock control as that seems to be unlikely to happen in the near future, but has anyone made any headway with images?

i.e. having a different image for each variant (so that if user chooses Blue then the image shows a blue bra).

Have been using the Banquet Tables Plugin, which works really well for variants, its just when you start getting child products involved that everything appears to go to ratsh!t.

Cheers!

spyderwebdesign

Quote from: davidwrightson on March 22, 2012, 03:38:42 AM
Ok, in hopes of helping others, here is what I did to get something working after a few frustrating hours.  First, at this point I do not care about different product numbers for different variants, all I want to get this thing working.  So, I have a t-shirt site that I just want the user to be able to select S, M, L, XL for shirt size.  Price doesn't change and I don't care about quantity on hand, stocked, etc.
1) Create custom field called "Size" of type "Cart Variant", Cart Attribute=Y, Is a List=Y
2) Create product and in custom fields tab, select "Size" from Custom Field Type dropdown.
A row should appear with Title=Size. Enter "Small" for Value.  Blank out the Price box if you do not want the "No Additional Charge" phrase to appear (default is 0) in the cart.
Select Size from Custom Field Type dropdown again and another row should appear.  Repeat for Medium.
Select Size from Custom Field Type dropdown again and another row should appear.  Repeat for Large.
... you get the picture.

Not sure if that helps anyone but just thought I'd throw it out just in case.
David

Thanks David for the help. This has gotten me really close to where I need to be. The problem I have is I can not enter the values for my size. There is no box for me to enter "Small" in.

meltingpotdesign

ive installed and started playing with vm2 today after having made loads of vm1 sites.  first reaction was wow, how easy is it to theme now! then I hit this brick wall of child product with stock control creation.

This seems crazy - such an essential part of any modern ecommerce software.  On first glance it looks like they were trying to ape the brilliant magento product architecture - but it feels broken.

Why cant you predefine a list of variants rather than having to free type them for each product - and what on earth is with having to add a child selector on the parent product itself - if it has children, show the damn children!

Nice to see im in good company, but does anyone know how long it will be before this gets fixed - im hoping to go live mid april - if this isnt a go-er, then Ill restart in VM1 & j1.5 - id rather not but on the clock.

Also, how could the VM team have missed the always always asked for feature of filtering on price, attributes etc (there are some excellent exctensions like Cherry Picker for VM1) - another show stopping ommission imo.

sorry for posting without actually offering anything!

karbono

Quote from: meltingpotdesign on March 25, 2012, 20:58:16 PM
ive installed and started playing with vm2 today after having made loads of vm1 sites.  first reaction was wow, how easy is it to theme now! then I hit this brick wall of child product with stock control creation.

This seems crazy - such an essential part of any modern ecommerce software.  On first glance it looks like they were trying to ape the brilliant magento product architecture - but it feels broken.

Why cant you predefine a list of variants rather than having to free type them for each product - and what on earth is with having to add a child selector on the parent product itself - if it has children, show the damn children!

Nice to see im in good company, but does anyone know how long it will be before this gets fixed - im hoping to go live mid april - if this isnt a go-er, then Ill restart in VM1 & j1.5 - id rather not but on the clock.

Also, how could the VM team have missed the always always asked for feature of filtering on price, attributes etc (there are some excellent exctensions like Cherry Picker for VM1) - another show stopping ommission imo.

sorry for posting without actually offering anything!

It can't be soon enough  :( I'm also anxious about it. The only thing keeping me from going to Drupal is the lack of something like CSVI. I'm also considering picking up previous versions.  :(
It's nerve-racking not even having a decent response from the development team. I understand they're not obligated to do anything, but they should also understand that a lot of people's work is depending on theirs. If they won't do it, "fine", but at least tell us.

BonaFide

Quote from: spyderwebdesign on March 25, 2012, 09:00:57 AM
Ok, in hopes of helping others, here is what I did to get something working after a few frustrating hours.  First, at this point I do not care about different product numbers for different variants, all I want to get this thing working.  So, I have a t-shirt site that I just want the user to be able to select S, M, L, XL for shirt size.  Price doesn't change and I don't care about quantity on hand, stocked, etc.
1) Create custom field called "Size" of type "Cart Variant", Cart Attribute=Y, Is a List=Y
2) Create product and in custom fields tab, select "Size" from Custom Field Type dropdown.
A row should appear with Title=Size. Enter "Small" for Value.  Blank out the Price box if you do not want the "No Additional Charge" phrase to appear (default is 0) in the cart.
Select Size from Custom Field Type dropdown again and another row should appear.  Repeat for Medium.
Select Size from Custom Field Type dropdown again and another row should appear.  Repeat for Large.
... you get the picture.

David

Thanks David for the help. This has gotten me really close to where I need to be. The problem I have is I can not enter the values for my size. There is no box for me to enter "Small" in.

Agreed. This is the closest I have seen to a solution to my issue (need 3 different weights for 1 product with a different price for each), but cannot enter the weight value under Custom Fields (it gives a drop down box for selection under Values, but there are no options to choose from nor an ability to input a value, only a price).

MissyW

Quote from: spyderwebdesign on March 25, 2012, 09:00:57 AM
Agreed. This is the closest I have seen to a solution to my issue (need 3 different weights for 1 product with a different price for each), but cannot enter the weight value under Custom Fields (it gives a drop down box for selection under Values, but there are no options to choose from nor an ability to input a value, only a price).
Quote from: BonaFide on March 26, 2012, 12:07:45 PM
To be able to input a value, e.g. the weight or size, you have to set Is a List=N in the custom field settings.  Then go back into your product and add the custom field again.  You will get a blank text field under the "Value" column.

... you get the picture.

David

Thanks, David, it was very good of you.  It was a relief to have something (anything!) that actually works after bashing my head against the wall of how to set up parent-child structure in 2.02.  If you don't need price changes, as you said, your method probably works.  But it doesn't work with price changes.  For example, if the product price is $20 but if I charge $30 for a Medium size and add it to the shopping cart,  then both prices are added together and the product price for the Medium item in the cart becomes $50.00. 

I need the parent-child structure to keep track of stock levels of the children.   I'm beginning to wonder if I should look at an alternative to Virtuemart that will integrate with Joomla, as this is a nightmare. :'(

meltingpotdesign

Like vm1 ;) I've scrapped my vm2 project and gone back to
Vm1.1.9 - If it ain't broke etc.

dsrpmedia

yes, I`ve done that with all my current cart projects - unfortunately the fact that joomla 1.5 is about to be outdated is a concern though.

meltingpotdesign

I take your point, and it doesn't look good to clients to be given a new site in perceptually dated software - but equally, j15.25 is rock solid

dsrpmedia

that`s how I`m looking at it - if there is no cart involved I set up on joomla 2.5, but if the client requires a functional cart then vm 2.0 is simply not an option at this point.

I figure I can probably hold on for another 6 months or so before I have to abandon VM altogether - which I REALLY don `t want to do - I`ve been using Virtuemart for a very long time, & over the years this is the first time I`ve ever been so stuck that I was unable to find / create some sort of solution.

I haven `t even gotten into the stock control yet - other than to notice that the 'notify' option does not seem to work.

just getting a basic child + attribute + price in a dropdown like in vm 1.1 has proved impossible

argh

oh well this is a brilliant community - hopefully someone will come up with some sort of solution.

enock

Seems much hard than it really is - after a couple of hours and reading the forums here is a quick summary (as a picture).

BTW tried child products and after corrupting the DB found this worked

[attachment cleanup by admin]

TBoele

Ok. And now try to create the same dropdown with stock control.

jochem8

Quote from: TBoele on March 29, 2012, 06:53:07 AM
Ok. And now try to create the same dropdown with stock control.

Exactly, that's the same problem I'm facing.