News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

child products with different size attributes

Started by dsrpmedia, March 09, 2012, 02:51:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsrpmedia

I know this has been addressed, but I just don `t get it - none of the explanations I`ve found make sense to me.

In vm 1.1 it was so easy to add a child product with a specific attribute  - eg size

eg create a parent, say 'face cream' sku 'facecream' , then you would simply add an attribute 'Size', save then click on the product name in the following page - than add your children ('new item')

eg 'face cream' sku 'fc1' , attribute - size '15ml'   etc. eezee-peezee

someone was kind enough to post simple instructions here http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=41605.0

I `ve been banging my head for days to get this to work in vm 2 but I`m at a loss

if someone could post some very easy to understand instructions for this I would really appreciate it.

Thank you

mortensamon@gmail.com

I have the same problem.

The "new" custom fields thing doesn't make any sence

Bruce Morgan

I agree.  I kind of gave up on this for now until it either getsd fixed or soemone takes e time to eplain much better how the whole thing is supposed to work.

Bruce

dsrpmedia

it is unfortunate - I was so stoked to have the vm2.0 for joomla 2.5 released, but trying to get even the simple things I do in VM 1.1 (eg child products) accomplished has been a nightmare.

I `m really hoping someone who understands the process can step up and write some clear instructions.

Loris

I can create childs with "generic child variant" plugin setting layout "ontop" and display them in product details page. It is also possible to override parent plugin specifying custom attributes like different size ecc ecc but when I overwrite parent plugin attributes in child product, in the dropdown list (in details product page) you can choose this child whit different size but, once done, you have only his entry in dropdown list.

dsrpmedia

thank you for your help Loris.

I just installed a fresh VM 2.0.2 on joomla 2.5.2, and installed the sample data.

included in the sample data the 'hand shovel' has 3 child products - as set up by the development team, one would think as an example of how it should be done.

these child products are not appearing in the hand shovel page http://ch25.rejuvasolutions.com/store/handtools/hand-shovel-detail
- I tried setting the layout to 'ontop' as suggested.

when I set the size attribute of the parent I get a dropdown for the parent - but the children do not appear

also, on the custom fields page, I do not seem to have a 'generic child variant' plugin - this is probably my whole problem - is this supposed to be part of the aio install or do I have to download that from somewhere?

Loris

http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=98648.0

anyway I've read that in the next release 2.0.3x the "chid/custom attributes" core will be almost renewed

dsrpmedia

QuoteThe vm2 system covers 2 systems for you.

When you want to have the childs working as variants of the parent, use the product custom field "Generic Child Variant", use layout position "ontop", add it to your parent, done.

except it doesn `t seem to work that way (for me with the sample data installed anyhow)

how do you add the plugin to the "Generic Child Variant"? I have created a new field as a "Generic Child Variant", but am still not getting the plugin option.

when creating custom fields it seems you must choose one or the other - "Generic Child Variant", or plugin

I created a new custom field with type 'plugin' but that seemed to do nothing - then I resaved the plugin field with a parent 'group of fields' (only option) - still nothing

dsrpmedia

Thank you again Loris, I am slowly but surely getting there - I can `t believe how incredibly difficult this has become - it used to be so easy

ok, so now on the product page I have the drop box - but it is showing the parent as well - I want just the children in the drop box, as the parent is just a shell - like in the old vm 1.1 where you would set up a parent with no price & all the children would be the actual products.

also, it just says the child name, so I have 4 'hand shovels' with nothing to distinguish them - how can I get the drop down to say

hand shovel - this size - $5.00
hand shovel - that size - $7.00
etc

?

(I REALLY appreciate your assistance, I`ve been banging my head on this for months - & I`ve build 50+ virtuemart shops in older versions of VM - it just makes no sense to me)

Loris

With the custom field type "Generic Child Variant" no plugin option to select ... you have to create a custom field like in the picture I've posted?
once done, you have to recall it in the parent custom field tab

here
http://mountainworldaq.net/251/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_category_id=21&virtuemart_product_id=699
perhaps for a few hours, you can see what I'm testing

Loris

I'm still testing and learning this new "damn" system of custom attrb and I'm currently making your same questions...

dsrpmedia

I must admit you are doing a much better job of understanding it than I - so glad I can 'ride your coattails'  8)

I noticed you we able to get the dropdown to say

Peak Performance : Osaka Jacket
Peak Performance : Osaka Jacket Blu

etc instead of just
'Peak Performance '
or
'Osaka Jacket Blu'

I`m assuming that 'Peak Performance ' is the parent & 'Osaka Jacket etc' are the children?

how did you accomplish that?

(great work once again!)

dsrpmedia

also, I notice that both you & I have the text 'No additional cost' underneath our dropdowns.

I `m not sure about you, but that is the exact opposite of the reason for the dropdowns in the first place - any ideas on how to get rid of that?

Loris

unfortunately the parent is "Peak Performance : Osaka Jacket" and I've added "blu" on the name of the child (Peak Performance : Osaka Jacket Blu) but as you noticed I get 2 Peak Performance : Osaka Jacket when I expect only one...
for  'No additional cost' I agree with you

You can even specify some other custom attributes in child tab overwriting parent plugin (flag in the upper left)  but then you can not switch from one child to another in the dropdown list

Perhaps I did not understand at all how they work... these children

Simon Reynolds

I have managed to sort this out with two versions of the same product. Not a problem that the main item has 'No additional Charge'. However, the problem arises when the variant has a different weight and the carriage charge is by weight.

My shop has identical products: 850grams and 60 grams.
If I do a test purchase and select either variant, I am unable to select a shipping method.
If I then select another product that has no variant and add it to the cart, I can now select a shipping method but only for the new product. It seems I cannot charge for shipping for any product that has variants?

No doubt when there is a manual for VM2 we will all know how to do this.

I am just going back to create a new Category for the smaller versions.