News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

child products with different size attributes

Started by dsrpmedia, March 09, 2012, 02:51:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsrpmedia

arghh

this is so frustrating - so close yet so far

all I am trying to do is recreate what was easily done in Vm 1.1 - see for example http://www.nutrawholesale.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_images.tpl&product_id=30&category_id=44&vmcchk=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=34

it seems that it is almost impossible to create this simple setup in vm2

dsrpmedia

that is actually very close - so those are not 'children' they are 'cart variants'

does each cart variant have it`s own SKU - is stock control available?

also, I notice on your page when you choose an item (variant) in the drop box it does not go to that product variant (page does not refresh), it just stays on 'Peak Performance: Tactic Zip Women' - so i suppose there is no option for variant specific-images, decriptions etc?

Loris

ok, then you have to play with custom attribute plugin "VM, custom stockable variant" but I can not show the variation of the amount (but in the cart the amounts are correct)

look http://mountainworldaq.net/251/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_category_id=21&virtuemart_product_id=700

dsrpmedia

I still don `t get how to work with the plugins either do you have to create a customfield with type 'plugin' & parent 'group of fields'?

also, on your link - the image of the product should change when you choose the variant should it not?

(eg when I choose either the green or red option it is still showing the black jacket)

that is because the variant is not an actual 'product' so no variant specific descriptions / images are available?

Loris

not exactly: the red, size L stockable variant has her own image, avalaibility and SKU ecc ecc and you can see in the cart after add to cart action, but up until now I cannot show related image and overprice with this method...
I've some other ideas but here in Italy it's dinner time  :o

JaumeQuerS

Hi,

BASICALLY : If you don't need different stock for each variation DON'T make it with STOCKABLE. Do it creating a CART VARIATION.

It's VERY easy, follow step by step and you'll see http://dev.virtuemart.net/projects/virtuemart/wiki/Product_custom_fields_without_stock_control.

Stockable child products are more difficult to get working (as it envolves more things).

borty

Quote from: crealogica on March 16, 2012, 12:33:59 PM
Stockable child products are more difficult to get working (as it envolves more things).

Well.... more difficult ? ???

Stockable child products are IMPOSSIBLE  to get working (also with last 2.03d release)!!

Or you can?
----------------
Borty - ITALY
----------------

dsrpmedia

unfortunately, different stock for each variant is kind of the whole idea... thanks for the tip though

TBoele

@dsrpmedia : Do you get this working ? different stock for each child product.

dsrpmedia

no

in fact I`ve been searching through the forums & it appears that no-one has got this working fully - lots of people seem to have make-shift kinda-sorta solutions, but nothing that just flat-out works

karbono

One more waiting for the stockable variants.

Is there any way to just prevent people from ordering quantities that don't exist in stock? We'll be synchronizing stocks from our ERP software frequently, so I would be able to keep a table with available stocks for all the variants. It would just be a question of verifying the stock levels and not letting larger quantities be added to the shopping cart.... later on, the quantities would be synched from the ERP software.
I can see the database structure, but I don't know enough of virtuemart to implement that.

davidwrightson

Ok, in hopes of helping others, here is what I did to get something working after a few frustrating hours.  First, at this point I do not care about different product numbers for different variants, all I want to get this thing working.  So, I have a t-shirt site that I just want the user to be able to select S, M, L, XL for shirt size.  Price doesn't change and I don't care about quantity on hand, stocked, etc.
1) Create custom field called "Size" of type "Cart Variant", Cart Attribute=Y, Is a List=Y
2) Create product and in custom fields tab, select "Size" from Custom Field Type dropdown.
A row should appear with Title=Size. Enter "Small" for Value.  Blank out the Price box if you do not want the "No Additional Charge" phrase to appear (default is 0) in the cart.
Select Size from Custom Field Type dropdown again and another row should appear.  Repeat for Medium.
Select Size from Custom Field Type dropdown again and another row should appear.  Repeat for Large.
... you get the picture.

Not sure if that helps anyone but just thought I'd throw it out just in case.
David

karbono

Quote from: davidwrightson on March 22, 2012, 03:38:42 AM
Ok, in hopes of helping others, here is what I did to get something working after a few frustrating hours.  First, at this point I do not care about different product numbers for different variants, all I want to get this thing working.  So, I have a t-shirt site that I just want the user to be able to select S, M, L, XL for shirt size.  Price doesn't change and I don't care about quantity on hand, stocked, etc.
1) Create custom field called "Size" of type "Cart Variant", Cart Attribute=Y, Is a List=Y
2) Create product and in custom fields tab, select "Size" from Custom Field Type dropdown.
A row should appear with Title=Size. Enter "Small" for Value.  Blank out the Price box if you do not want the "No Additional Charge" phrase to appear (default is 0) in the cart.
Select Size from Custom Field Type dropdown again and another row should appear.  Repeat for Medium.
Select Size from Custom Field Type dropdown again and another row should appear.  Repeat for Large.
... you get the picture.

Not sure if that helps anyone but just thought I'd throw it out just in case.
David

Thanks, but if you don't care about stock control, I think you'll find this method works:
http://dev.virtuemart.net/projects/virtuemart/wiki/Product_custom_fields_without_stock_control

jochem8

What are the steps to be taken when you do want to use stock control?