News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Virtuemart 2 and Joomla's built-in language switcher

Started by Artanis, March 19, 2012, 11:23:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artanis

Hello!

I'm pretty new to Joomla 2.5 and to VM2, but as far everything was going great. Installed Joomla, draw design, made new template from scratch (that is really easy with some CSS knowledge - Joomla is really great), installed VM2, configured all taxes, shippings, etc, added all my products - evertyhing is great. BUT - as in my country there are multiple main languages, I have to use some kind of language switching tool.

At first try I used extension called Falang, but it turned out to be incompatible with VM2, so I desiced to start from scratch and build site only using Joomla's built-in language switching support hoping that it will work good with VM2. But there is problem - it seems that VM2 is not switching languages together with rest of site. As you can see in screenshots attached - built-in language switcher in Joomla makes no impact on VM2's language. Only changing default language in Admin panel changes VM2's language.

Why is this problem? Is there a way to correct it as it should be - that VM2 langage changes together with rest of site?

Best regards, Arthur

[attachment cleanup by admin]
Animus Project - Design Studio
Running Joomla 2.5.6, Virtuemart 2.0.6a, PHP 5.3.10

Artanis

UPDATE:

Seems that I've solved this problem. So the thing is that localisation in my language wasn't quite complete, and there were syntax error in VM2 translation (found under the pageroot/administrator/languages/xx-XX/com_virtuemart.ini ). Corrected the syntax error, and now languages are switching normally.

Nope, problem partially still there - now just VM2 translation itself switches normally - products are still shown only in site's default language. What the hell?

jjk

See here:
http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=95970.msg317893#msg317893
First you need to get your Joomla multilanguage setting correct. You need Joomla language files for all your languages and also at least all VM2 frontend language files.
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations

Artanis

Although I've installed language packs for VM2 and Joomla, there is no dedicated Multilingue Shop tab under my VM2 settings...  ??? See attached below.
As far as I checked through phpMyAdmin, all necessery tables in database is there (en-GB, lv-LV, ru-RU) for all 7 parametrers (categories, manufacturers, etc.) . Also there is at least few products and categories in each language published.

So the problem remains - switching language by using Joomla's built-in switcher just changes site and VM2 interface language. Products changes only by changing default language in Joomla's Language config.

P.S. besides - this language mess comes with additional problem - Add to cart now glitches. :(

Just to let You know - I'm using Joomla 2.5 and VM 2.0.3e.

jjk

The VM2 language selection is here:
(See Screenshot below)

Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations

Artanis

Oh, man, great! Now it seems to keep language even when switching to cart and back to shopping and prod! Many thanks!  :)

And, whats great - I found solution for my second problem - that first product added to cart after language selection was made didn't show up. It seems that after selecting language you have to wait couple seconds (maybe some cache rebuild or JavaScript execution in background), and if you don't click on "add to cart" button right second after language selection, than it works ok. My solution - simple Javascript, that fades "Add to cart" button three seconds after product detail page is loaded!  ;D

Thanky You very much, jjk - I very appreciate your help!
I'll write some kind of short illustrated manual for others like me, so there are less problems with VM2 and Joomla 2.5 multilanguage solutions.

osp

Artanis, do you have translation of the product that disappeared entered in the VM2?
If no, you'll not see the product...