Unable to create new categories or publish/unpublish them?

Started by blackrat999, January 17, 2018, 10:29:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackrat999

Update i have tried a couple of other Admin templates, both do the same as ISIS.
Still I cant create new Categories in VM.

Jörgen

What are your css and java settings  in configuration?

Jörgen @ Kreativ Fotografi
Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x
Olympiantheme Hera (customized)
This reflects current status when viewing old post.

blackrat999

As below, i am using Vmuikit on this installation (and others like it) again I have updated it to the latest version (the issue was present before i upgraded it)
thanks

Jörgen

Shot in the dark, if You untick extern Google Jquery?

There is some kind of Jquery conflict on Your site.

Jörgen @ Kreativ Fotografi
Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x
Olympiantheme Hera (customized)
This reflects current status when viewing old post.

blackrat999

thanks i tried that and installed jquery easy and tried a few different settings but still no change

Studio 42

blackrat999

thanks i tried that and installed jquery easy and tried a few different settings but still no change

blackrat999

I really appreciate any help guys, looks like it isnt easily fixable and i need it sorted so i have made a start at rebuilding the site and migrating the content across, i should be able to get it done in a day and will test the categories at every step!

blackrat999

I have just migrated the old data to the newly built site this morning and immediately after doing this i am unable to do anything with the categories again. everything was fine until after the migration. I will get onto Daycounts.com again to see if they have any ideas what is causing this, i can see they have logged in but they havent got back to me re the issue, i will report back.
again thanks everyone for help so far.

blackrat999

Ok update!
The issue relates to the content of DB table

xxxxx_virtuemart_category_categories

If i remove all the rows then i can create new categories again. Obviously i dont want to do that so im trying to figure out which rows are actually in use.

I have 13 categories on the site but there are 52 rows.
In Admin the only clue to each row is the ID at the end but at the moment i cant figure out a correlation between this ID and the column heading in the DB as the one titled ID doesnt seem to relate to the admin.

can anyone advise please ?

jjk

Did you ever try to click 'Tools' > 'Tools & Migration' > 'Install or if necessary update tables' in the VM administration?
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations

blackrat999

yes tried that a few times, it doesnt make any difference to the tables in my database im afraid :-(

jjk

Quote from: blackrat999 on January 21, 2018, 11:23:21 AM
xxxxx_virtuemart_category_categories
I have 13 categories on the site but there are 52 rows.
Looks to me like you have a number of subcategories. Perhaps compare the category ids with those in the table xxxxx_virtuemart_categories_en_gb. There you  can see the category names assigned to the category id numbers.

In addition to that, you could open and 'Save' each category in use once. That should give you a new 'modified' date in the db table, so you can see which ones are active.
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations

blackrat999

thanks for the tips.
the issue is definitely in the table xxxxx_virtuemart_category_categories
on a test site i removed 5 rows and all of a sudden everything worked again. Now replicating the original fully so i can test on that database before adjusting the live site. Confident i can fix it now just need to take it slow and backup a lot!
thanks for help.

blackrat999

Cracked it!!

There was a category listed in Admin which didnt have any description/products etc and wasnt showing an ID or published button etc, once i found it in xxxx_virtuemart_categories_en_gb and removed the row all my subcategories came back and i can now edit the categories again!

Thanks for each of you that tried to help i am really grateful to you all.