News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Product description translation dos not work J173 VM20

Started by bmueller, January 21, 2012, 17:26:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmueller

Hi, I have a multilingual shop based on Joomla 1.7.3 and VM 2.
My problem is that I cannot get the product description to be translated/set into any other language than which was entered in the English section.
The product short description does work perfect in Multilanguage mode.
If I enter anything different in the long product description, it is immediatly overwritten with the text of the English version whenever I click save or save and exit.

jjk

Did you update from the VM2 release candidates? I had this problem a few weeks ago, but in VM2.0.0 stable it works fine. Maybe you simply have to click on "Update Tables..." once in the VM2 tools.
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations

jjk

Update
I can reproduce that behavior with the JCE editor and partially with the TinyMCE editor. When using Tiny MCE, it the product description translation currently seems to save after the second attempt. JCE also seems to have a problem with removing dashes (-), i.e. removing the dash from "light-weight". In the editor it does remove it and shows "lightweight", but in the database table the dash is still present after clicking on 'Save'.

Not shure yet if it is a VM2 problem, an editor problem or a Joomla 1.7.3 problem...

Tested with VM2 SVN revision 5296

Update 2:

Meanwhile I had a look at the language cookies. Now I'm pretty shure the the problem is that the language cookie is not set when you select another language for translating the product description.

bmueller

Yes, it seems to be an editor-related problem. I generally use the JCK Editor, where it does not work at all. But using the MCE Editor it seems to work.
So the developers can now search more focused ;-)

mirovic

I have also this problem. Translation of product is not saved. With JCE, but also with Tiny MCE.

majunio

Hi,

I can see this same issue in my installation. I have discovered something more.

My default language is Polish. Products are translated to English and Russian.
Editor - JCE is setup as default one, once I'm trying to edit a description it is open in Polish first, after language change to English: product name, sku, alias and short description is displayed in English, but long description is still in English, once long description is changed to English and saved and open it again and language change to English long description was again in Polish.

Base on previous post I have changed default editor to Editor - TinyMCE and once again I tried to edit English language description was already there.

Any idea how to solve it?

jjk

majunio

Links didnt help me. I do not have any issue with description once I have EditorTinyMCE swithed on.

I have checked Editor JoomlaCK - this same issue.

estruct

I want to report the same issue as you here, using J15 and VM2.0.2. I got both U.S. and Spanish languages.
Short Reminder of the problem: I want my Categories to display diffently in both languages
1/ Creating the Category in default language cat => OK
2/ Creating and "Applying" the same category in the second language => OK but NOK.. I explain
    When you "apply" (joomla button) your changes in the second language the joomla back-end switch back to the default language.
    So you switch again to the second language and it seems in the back-end that your edits have been lost...
    because the default language texte is shown by the backend and not your second language edits.
But in fact in the FRONT-END site this is OK. So ?
So for sure this a bug and must be fixed in later releases.
I don't know what the mean to get back to your edits in the back-end afterward ... I didn't search already... but I guess I can't. So you have to make right at the first time.  It's a one-time setup :-)
Just on thing more... for the image of the category ... this trick is not working.. Only for the "Control Panel" tab.

estruct

I want to share a trick that worked for me...
If your description in base language is not saved...

1/ go to the configuration pane => temporarily remove the additional languages. (be sure to save your additional language edits somewhere ) 
2/ edit and save your product description and others tabs... for the base language
3/ add the additional languages and edit them...

estruct

VM2 should reconsider the design of the language managment under Joomla 1.5 ... it is totally BUGGED

TheLegend

SOLUTION:

1. Save first each product in the different languages.

2. Go to the EXTENSION MANAGER - LANGUAGES.

3. Make the language that you want to input as the STANDARD language.

Go to Virtuemart and you can input the products and the SAVING works!  ;)

Da_Hobit

yep, had the same problem ... tested ALL editors, backend VM, directly in DB and none of them helped ..

thnx for TheLegend -> did the trick !