News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

VM 1.9.8.RCA 2 and sef router

Started by franzpeter, July 15, 2011, 10:34:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

franzpeter

First of all thanks to the developers. VM 2.1 will be an amazing shopping cart component. Did install it on my localhost without any problem and I am truly impressed.
VM 2.1 will allow a lot of flexibility and integrates very well into Joomla. The idea to allow to create different menu entries (like categories, cart a.s.o) provides a lot of flexibility, especially together with the Joomla modules, no hacks or metamods to display or hide something together with virtuemart, high flexibility in displaying product price a.s.o..

There remains one question: the SEF router. Will it be possible in the final release to create better URL. Now, with SEF router, Virtuemart RCA 2 creates url like: yourwebsite/component/virtuemart/hand_tools/Hand-Shovel.html. Will it be possible with the final release to have that thing a little bit shorter like: yourwebsite/hand_tools/Hand_Shovel.html (without /virtuemart/component/...)?

If I create a menu link (virtuemart default layout), I get rid of the /component/ but not off the /virtuemart/ (or shop).

Studio 42

HI franzpeter,
The router work as you mean
If you see component/virtuemart then you don't have set a menu for the option(as all joomla componant).
You can do link to category porduct or whatever.
If you don't want set all the link, you can simple do a link to the Main Shop View.
eg. You set Myshop as main shop then all your route must begi with Mysite.com/Myshop

BYe ;)

franzpeter

Hi electrocity,

and what, if I do not want to have Mysite.com/Myshop. Instead I would directly start with the categories. Say I have tree categories: Hand Tools, Garden Tools, Power Tools. So the url should look like: Mysite.com/hand-tools.html, Mysite.com/garden-tools.html, Mysite.com/power-tools.html (and not Mysite.com/Myshop/garden-tools.html, Mysite.com/Myshop/power-tools.html a.s.o.).?

Milbo

Hmmm download it,...

add a config setting to the the right panel and change the line in the router. :-)
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Studio 42

YOu can add categories link in the joomla menu.
then you have mysite/powertools ...

PRO

If you create a default virtuemart link to vmart. ALL the categories will have the default alias BEFORE the category.

BUT: if you create a menu link to EVERY category the /shop alias is not in the url

cas

Hi,

I don't understand why I need to build separate menu items to all the categories & subcategories to remove the 'category/virtuemart' from the url.  I use the menu component 'VM Categories Layout' in the component area, and the 'VM Category Module' in the sidebar area to link to the categories and products.  With these two existing VM access methods, why would we want to build separate menu items for all the categories?  I'm confused.  Shouldn't VM handle the URL properly when using the VM access methods?   If you want to see the site, here's the link: http://www.designerfurniturecenter.com

Thanks,
Chuck   

PRO

Try the default layout. That should get rid of most of it. It should just leave the alias the main linkto vmart

cas

I fixed the URL problem by switching the main menu type from 'VirtueMart Categories Layout' to 'VirtueMart Default Layout'.  Thanks!

Now the only question is the URL when in the shopping cart... should it be: www.mysite.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=cart
or is there a way to simplify that URL?

PRO

what you mean? sef is turned on, but it still shows like that?

cas

When I checked it today, now the url is fine.  It must have been something in cache or some other temporary fluke.  The good news is all is fine.

I do have a question... now that I switched the menu type to use the 'VirtueMart Default Layout' to fix the url, the page is now showing 4 sections: Categories (which I want), but it's also showing Featured Products, Latest Products, & Topten Products, which I don't want.  How can I turn off the display of Featured Products, Latest Products, & Topten Products?  If I switch back to the menu type 'VirtueMart Categories Layout' to only see the categories, then the url looks bad.   You can see the page here: http://www.designerfurniturecenter.com/furniture

Thanks,
Chuck

cas

Thanks Banquet Tables Pro.   I can do that as a temporary fix, but shouldn't the menu type 'VirtueMart Categories Layout' be fix to have a clean URL?

PRO

is there a config in the backend of number of features products to show?

YOU could move the main shop component menu item to a hidden menu.

THEN, create a new one to categories

BUT, you should change the alias to reflect what you want in the url

cas

Good news!  I found in the VM admin on the Template tab in the VirtueMart Home Page Settings, we can turn on/off the display of the Featured Products, Latest Products, Recent Products & Top ten Products.  It works like a charm!  Thanks VM team! :)

Chuck