News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

registering optional

Started by banderson, October 19, 2015, 23:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

banderson

Joomla 3
Virtuemart 2.0.10

My website is set right now to have people always sign in.  I would like it to be optional.  Also the captcha is not working properly.  How do I fix it?  It is not making them do a captcha. 

jenkinhill

VirtueMart 2.0.10? Are you sure, as VM2 versions will not work with Joomla 3.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

jimleeder123

Why would you make registering optional? Its good to have customer details for order records or where to deliver the order to surely (if its not a download).
Web Developer and blogger

Joomla 3.4.8  (2.5 on some)
VM 3.0.12
PHP 5.6 (5.4 on websites with Joomla 2.5)

http://jimleeder.co.uk

jenkinhill

Jim, very few of my sites require registration, and you seem to misunderstand how guest checkout works. The shopper still needs to enter their billing & shipping addresses so they are available to the retailer. Experience with these shows that shoppers prefer not to register the first time they use a store, but if they use it a second or third time they are likely to register then. The important thing is not to put too many obstacles in the way of them hitting the confirmed order button. ;-)
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

jimleeder123

That sounds true enough for that then. My company's clients usually prefer customers to register so they can communicate new offers to them.
Web Developer and blogger

Joomla 3.4.8  (2.5 on some)
VM 3.0.12
PHP 5.6 (5.4 on websites with Joomla 2.5)

http://jimleeder.co.uk

lindapowers

Quote from: jenkinhill on October 20, 2015, 12:29:56 PM
Jim, very few of my sites require registration, and you seem to misunderstand how guest checkout works. The shopper still needs to enter their billing & shipping addresses so they are available to the retailer. Experience with these shows that shoppers prefer not to register the first time they use a store, but if they use it a second or third time they are likely to register then. The important thing is not to put too many obstacles in the way of them hitting the confirmed order button. ;-)
Can't agree more.

Quote from: jimleeder123 on October 20, 2015, 12:36:01 PM
That sounds true enough for that then. My company's clients usually prefer customers to register so they can communicate new offers to them.

Yes is better to spam customers with emails, but that is really not needed.

There are plugins that add customers to acymailing list just for buying, guest or not.

Quote from: banderson on October 19, 2015, 23:39:49 PM
Joomla 3
Virtuemart 2.0.10

My website is set right now to have people always sign in.  I would like it to be optional.  Also the captcha is not working properly.  How do I fix it?  It is not making them do a captcha. 
[

As far as I know there is no catpcha for the register on vm account page. This one works well for that http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/extension/access-a-security/site-security/keycaptcha

The default joomla register has a captcha if you enable it in joomla global config, it even works with recaptcha 2 from google.

And at least rupostel's opc has a captcha, dont know about default checkout has and for ask a question you do have an optional captcha.

jenkinhill

ReCaptcha can be used on the registration page, but why put yet another obstacle in the way of shoppers? It must be turned on in the Joomla plugin and the Google keys entered for the site, then switched on in VM Configuration/Shop. BUT most commercial Joomla/VM templates do not include the ReCaptcha display code in their overrides.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

lindapowers

Quote from: jenkinhill on October 20, 2015, 16:09:39 PM
ReCaptcha can be used on the registration page, but why put yet another obstacle in the way of shoppers? It must be turned on in the Joomla plugin and the Google keys entered for the site, then switched on in VM Configuration/Shop. BUT most commercial Joomla/VM templates do not include the ReCaptcha display code in their overrides.

Ah I see, so is my template then not including it.

We hate it jenkinhill but we had a lot of SPAM bots recently and had to turn it on at least in joomla register.

banderson

Thank you for all of the responses but I am still totally confused.   :-\  I would like to make it optional because I for one do not like to register on accounts for the first time.  I am still not sure how to fix this.  I am so frustrated with virtue mart at this point.  This is one more obstacle. I am new to all of this so please make it really simple.
Thank you.   :)

GJC Web Design

It is dead basic IF you are using a proper compatible template.. IMHO so many are simply rubbish .. full of eye candy, bugs and non-compatible over rides that break on the first update...

the settings below give the user the choice to register or not...

I wouldn't bother with captcha unless you later proof to have a lot of machine spam registrations
GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation

banderson