News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Joomla 2.5 End Of Life

Started by alanzever, September 29, 2014, 17:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanzever

Hi,

Being using Virtuemart for Joomla 2.5 for about two years and you guys are doing a great job.

Love how easy it is to use and manage my shop using Virtuemart.

I am getting a little worried at the moment due to the recent Joomla 2.5.25 announcement made on 23/09/2014

http://www.joomla.org/announcements/release-news/5563-joomla-2-5-25-released.html

"As previously noted, the 2.5 series will reach end of life at the end of 2014, which will mark the end of support for this series. At this time, we project that 2.5.26 will be the last scheduled maintenance release, due in approximately six to eight weeks, the typical timeframe between Joomla! releases"

I have been testing all the latest versions of Virtuemart 2.9 for Joomla 3 but don't feel confident enough to migrate my 2.5 site to Joomla 3 yet.

It would be great to have a date from the Virtuemart developers when the stable version of Virtuemart is ready for Joomla 3 so i can start planning the move from 2.5 to 3.x

Thanks again for creating Virtuemart i love it and would really like to use it on Joomla 3.

Thanks
Alan

John2400

Hi Alanzever,'

This question is about how quickly we can all iron out the small issues we see in the millions of computers in the world.

The real answer to this is , the more we test the faster we come to a better version.

We need more people to think of ideas and test new versions. I see that you say you have been testing the new versions.. I ask that you let the forum know what you see works and what does not.

Everyone has certain areas they concentrate on when testing.. No one can test everything by themselves. Please I encourage you to post what you find works or does not work for you. Or even just comment and say .. I had the same issue or I did not find that. 

People who post or answer are not paid for their time here.

AH

IMHO I would not be too concerned about jumping to Joomla 3

Unless you have a significant business requirement that cannot be met with your current versions

Many people are still using joomla 1.5.26 without issue

By all means have an outline plan/strategy for your move to a new versions

And please keep testing the latest VM version and post any things you find that do not function as expected (based on your current understanding)

Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

GJC Web Design

Agree with Hutson - I see no reason to go to J3 for many moons if your happy with your J2.5...

J3/VM2.9 is intended (IMHO) for new projects
GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation

Milbo

Please support us

http://extensions.virtuemart.net/support/virtuemart-supporter-membership-detail

"We will ensure the fixing of all security related bugs in the delivered Joomla, VirtueMart core and VirtueMart extensions."

This includes joomla 2.5. Atm we do not recommend for big shops j3, because some performance tests show that j3 is slowing down the store. The only thing we have todo for vm3 are one migrator script (stockable plugin to the new child variants) and to adjust the sample data to show the new features.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

franzpeter

I did a benchmark with 70 000 products and about 720 categories with the upcoming VM 3. Did create two websites on my localhost, one with VM 3 and Joomla 2.5 and one with VM 3 and Joomla 3.3.4. So the virtuemart tables do contain the same data and: Joomla 3.3.4 sucks. It is much slower than Joomla 2.5, about 30 - 40%. While calling for example category pages with J 2.5 and VM 3 it is fast and snappy, with Joomla 3 it takes a while. Pretty bad result for Joomla 3, for which I would expect better performance. Or does Joomla goes the same way like some other software: offering a few new gimmicks but at the price of slower performance?

kmeyer

Franzpeter, is the performance drop due to the large quantity of products? Would the 30%-40% slower performance occur with only 50 products, and if so would it even be noticeable? Thanks in advance for your insights.

alanzever

Hi,

Thank you everyone for coming back to me.

Joomla 1.5 is not really an option for me as my site depends on other 3rd party extensions which are only compatible with Joomla 2.5 or 3.x

It is more of a worry that the Joomla! community will no longer support or release security patches for Joomla 2.5 once it reaches end of life and with all the recent security updates announced it i am very worried at the moment, hence the reason why i would love to get started on moving the site from 2.5 to Joomla 3x and VM 3.

From the post by Milbo "The only thing we have todo for vm3 are one migrator script (stockable plugin to the new child variants) and to adjust the sample data to show the new features" it sounds like you are very, very close to releasing a stable release of VM3 which is great news not just for me but everyone who is looking forward to using this great e-commerce extension for Joomla 3

I have downloaded VM 2.9.9e which seems very stable, i am going to do some detailed testing today and post my finding in the forum.

Thanks
Alan

Milbo

Quote from: alanzever on October 01, 2014, 11:10:00 AM
Joomla 1.5 is not really an option for me as my site depends on other 3rd party extensions which are only compatible with Joomla 2.5 or 3.x

Hutson meant that regarding joomla 2.5, which is in some years similar as j1.5 now.

Quote from: alanzever on October 01, 2014, 11:10:00 AM
.... with all the recent security updates announced it i am very worried at the moment, hence the reason why i would love to get started on moving the site from 2.5 to Joomla 3x and VM 3.

Actually j2.5 is definitly more secure than j3. Just check the list of fixed security issues.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member