News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Warning, the Safe Path is not accessible

Started by TomaG, August 09, 2012, 14:33:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomaG

I am new to virtuemart. I am running into a few problems in getting it going.

VM version 2.0.8e
Joomla Version 2.5.6
PHP Version 5.2.14 (http://salmontrollinglures.com/phpinfo.php)

I have created the suggested folders for the safe path but I am still getting this message with debug on. (How do I fix it?)

vmdebug self::$_jpConfig->lang en_gb
vmdebug vmTime: loadConfig db no: 0.00320601463318
vmdebug vmTime: loadConfig db no: 0.00153708457947
Configuration Saved
vmdebug vmTime: loadConfig db no: 0.00296211242676
Warning, the Safe Path is not accessible (does not exist or no permission), for safety reasons it is very important to create a folder in a path not accessible by an URL, create also a folder invoices in it to store your sensitive data secure. Our suggested path is for your system home/salmotr/vmfiles/MLP

The folders exist and permissions are set to 777

baysidemk

I am having the same problem.   The suggested path is actually the path i specified and the permissions have been set to 777.  but, it still gives the error message.

jenkinhill

Quote from: baysidemk on September 14, 2012, 17:54:31 PM
the permissions have been set to 777

Never use 777 unless you are on a really badly configuired server, in which case move on. 755 is all you need. Anything higher is just inviting hackers in.

Some shared servers, such as nogodaddy, will not permit users to access directories below root, so make it above root with an unguessable directory name.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

maryswave

I am still getting that error message and have added the folders and set the permissions to 755

TomaG

Finally I found an answer to why the safe path message would not go away. I contacted the host where the webpage is hosted, SiteGround.

This was the solution:

In order to resolve the issue I changed the "Safe Path" variable from:

home/salmontr/vmfiles/

to:

/home/salmontr/vmfiles/ - please note the extra slash. (forward slash at the front of the string)

The warning message disappeared and you can check the results on your end.

kjw66

I've been working on our new site for weeks and knew I had this error message and have searched high and low for an answer.

Found this answer on another forum - worked perfectly. Am not taking the credit, just sharing.

"Warning, the Safe Path is empty, for safety reasons it is very important to create a folder in a path not accessible by an URL, create also a folder invoices in it to store your sensible data secure. Our suggested path is for your system /var/www/vmfiles"

I get this notification when I've finished installing virtuemart. In my opinion, VirtueMart is not allowed to leave Safe Path empty.

I try to find it's solution by search it on virtuemart forum and actually, there is an easy way to resolve this notification. Just copy log folder to virtuemart safe path.

Following these steps:

1. Open Joomla Global Configuration -> System.

2. Copy the path in path to log folder textbox.

3. Open VirtueMart control panel and go into Configuration -> Templates.

4. In Safe Path textbox, paste the path you've copied before.

5. Then, save it.

That's all how to resolve VirtueMart notification about "Warning, the Safe Path is empty ...".
VM 2.0.18a on Joomla 2.5.9 PHP 5.4.11

jenkinhill

Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

Glock

Quote from: kjw66 on February 09, 2013, 11:53:38 AM
I've been working on our new site for weeks and knew I had this error message and have searched high and low for an answer.

Found this answer on another forum - worked perfectly. Am not taking the credit, just sharing.

"Warning, the Safe Path is empty, for safety reasons it is very important to create a folder in a path not accessible by an URL, create also a folder invoices in it to store your sensible data secure. Our suggested path is for your system /var/www/vmfiles"

I get this notification when I've finished installing virtuemart. In my opinion, VirtueMart is not allowed to leave Safe Path empty.

I try to find it's solution by search it on virtuemart forum and actually, there is an easy way to resolve this notification. Just copy log folder to virtuemart safe path.

Following these steps:

1. Open Joomla Global Configuration -> System.

2. Copy the path in path to log folder textbox.

3. Open VirtueMart control panel and go into Configuration -> Templates.

4. In Safe Path textbox, paste the path you've copied before.

5. Then, save it.

That's all how to resolve VirtueMart notification about "Warning, the Safe Path is empty ...".

kjw66 I have registered just to tell you that even though the instructions are there - posted by jenkinhill, I followed it to the letter and it STILL would not work.
Your solution worked flawlessly!
It was bugging me for 3 days.

Thanks very much, and to the mods - you should add this under your guide as it DOES work and after 3 days, this was the only solution that did work as unfortunately with all the others I kept getting the same error
"Warning, the Safe Path is empty ..."

Cheers kjw66

maxispin

Thanks TomaG,
your writing catched my eyes, and solved my problem.  Simply adding additional / at front of path solved the problem
VM 3.0.17.6 | VM 2.0.24c | VM 1.1.9

Zke

I have tried all these suggestions and still get the error.

• I have used the suggested path that was listed in the error message - /smhhome/f-web/fc/9b/[webaddress]/public/vmfiles
  • I compared it to the tmp path folder in the Joomla global configuration and it is the same
  • I tried with and without a / at the beginning and end of the path
  • The folder has permissions 777

maxispin

Quote from: Zoekatherine on December 18, 2013, 05:38:40 AM
I have tried all these suggestions and still get the error.

• I tried with and without a / at the beginning and end of the path

Both beginning /  and end   /   [vm settings/layout]

/home/XXXXXXXXX/public_html/vmfiles/

jenkinhill

You should never need 777 permissions as that leave an open door for hackers etc. If the server needs it then change hosts ASAP.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

maxispin

Kelvyn, you could put 777-statement on your signature ;) 

Seriously, what is a good (and the right) value? 755 ?

jenkinhill

Files 644 (or 444 for read only, such as for config files)  and directories 755
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK