How to use Custom Field stockable variant (Explained) (video) (photos page 4)

Started by HG, March 30, 2012, 15:43:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zactan

Quote from: Muhannad on May 30, 2012, 12:34:09 PM
Hi everyone,

I have managed to get a drop list of sizes for my product, but when I choose a size and click 'add to cart' I get a message 'Product out of stock' and 'Product not successfully added'. The parent product does not have a quantity, but each of the sizes has its own quantity. Any ideas?

I'm facing this issue. The stock deduction at the child side is working fine though...

OpenGlobal

realistix

Hi Openglobal,

first of all I would like to say a big thanks for all the work you have put into this. I'm in desperate need of having this working for a client of mine. Having read through this and other threads I understad but am having difficulty ensuring that I have the correct / most up to date versions of the files you have provided. Could you perhaps attach the most up to date versions in reply to this so I don't screw up?

Thanks

OpenGlobal

I've attached the latest versions.

[attachment cleanup by admin]

Marykity

Hello everyone :)
First of all sorry for my English - my native language is Russian.
I am really the beginner in the site administration, but now i have serious issues with the plug-in VM custom stockable variants - I can not find it anywhere  :P :o :o ??? I follow the instruction on the first page of the present conversation till the point 15 and can not find any VM plug in. Actually there is no plug-ins to choose from. Please help  :'( :'(
My Joomla is 2.5.4
My VM is 2.0.6

OpenGlobal

That looks like a corrupt installation to me. First thing to check is that the plugins are published. Go to the Joomla Plugin Manager and find the three plugins "Vm - Custom ......" and publish them. If that doesn't help, I guess a reinstall is necessary.

Also, make sure you've install the VirtueMart AIO part if they don't appear in the Plugin Manager. I can't remember whether these are part of the VM base or the AIO installer.

OpenGlobal

OpenEyeMedia

Hi folks,
So I have managed successfully to add custom variants to my parent product (size and colour), and overcame the issue of the pricing by going into each child and giving it a specific price...all seemed good, but then I noticed that all the children are visible!

There are ways of ensuring a person navigating the site will never see them by not associating them to a category and not using the page format which shows all the categories and the items within them. But they can still be crawled by Google et al. and so people can land on them via the search engines. It also means there are numerous duplicate pages, which on a large site may be perceived negatively from an SEO perspective.

I thought of redirecting the child pages to the parent page, but sh404SEF and Virtuemart don't like each other and so I have had to let Joomla handle the URLs instead of sh404SEF, and so I have no means to redirect them

Unpublishing the child removes it from the dropdown in the parent detail page, so that's not an option. So what could the solution be?! Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your time and help.
Chris

OpenGlobal

Quote from: OpenEyeMedia on June 26, 2012, 17:01:44 PM
...the issue of the pricing...

Which issue?

I think the problem with the child products showing up as duplicate products if you navigate to them manually is something which would need to be addressed in the core. I don't think the plugin has enough access to return a 404 error on a child product (I may be wrong).

I guess that if a child product doesn't have a category, it should possibly return a 404 in the core. However, there may be other functionality that requires this is not the case. It's worth taking up with the core developers.

OpenGlobal

Marykity

Quote from: OpenGlobal on June 26, 2012, 15:37:39 PM
That looks like a corrupt installation to me. First thing to check is that the plugins are published. Go to the Joomla Plugin Manager and find the three plugins "Vm - Custom ......" and publish them. If that doesn't help, I guess a reinstall is necessary.

Also, make sure you've install the VirtueMart AIO part if they don't appear in the Plugin Manager. I can't remember whether these are part of the VM base or the AIO installer.

OpenGlobal
Thanks a lot! I just twisted my brains to find this plug-in  :) So I reinslalled and everything now is working.
Now I am trying to solve the other problem - the repeated words "Price" and "Size"

kelseyatkdhx

I must be missing a step, in my attempt to configure the Plug-In the options just aren't there. Could this be a browser issue? I have attempted with both Firefox and Chrome to no avail.

I have located several step-by-step forums on how to add variants and child products but so far none have a fool-proof explanation that winds up working in the end. Bottom line is I have not seen a single variation (or my attempts to create variations) appear on the front-end of the store.

Here is what I need:
I want to add a T-shirt to the store with size and color variations. The t-shirt is available in black, white and grey in sizes Small through 3X-Large.
Ideally the t-shirt is just one item with children or variations (this language is tricky). I want shoppers to find the solo t-shirt and then choose the size/color they need when adding it to their cart.

is there a step-by-step process or instructions on how to do this?

Does virtuemart have a support line of some sort so I could talk with the source?

I greatly appreciate any insight and assistance you can provide me with.

OpenGlobal

Have you opened up the dropdown list and physically clicked on the "Available size and colour" option. It's a strange interface, because the default option in the dropdown list does nothing until you click on it.

Then the javascript should pull in the options that you've configured in the custom fields area.

OpenGlobal

OpenGlobal

Quote from: Marykity on June 28, 2012, 13:13:28 PM
Now I am trying to solve the other problem - the repeated words "Price" and "Size"

Where are they repeated? Can you post a screen shot of the config and a link to the site?

OpenGlobal

kelseyatkdhx

Quote from: OpenGlobal on June 28, 2012, 18:16:48 PM
Have you opened up the dropdown list and physically clicked on the "Available size and colour" option. It's a strange interface, because the default option in the dropdown list does nothing until you click on it.

Then the javascript should pull in the options that you've configured in the custom fields area.

OpenGlobal

REPLY: I have clicked and selected all the of the different options and not a one makes anything appear in the Plug-In menu.

All I see is "No Custom Fields. Please use select list to add some new fields."

OpenGlobal

Do you want to PM me your username/password and I'll take a look. Sounds like there's something very wrong going on.

OpenGlobal

Marykity

Quote from: OpenGlobal on June 28, 2012, 18:18:03 PM
Quote from: Marykity on June 28, 2012, 13:13:28 PM

Where are they repeated? Can you post a screen shot of the config and a link to the site?

OpenGlobal

At the present moment the site is here http://www.mamochki.myjino.ru/index.php
As soon as it will be ready i will put it here http://www.mamochki.vl.ru/

And i have noticed that my children are visible and when i mark them unpublished - the sizes on the just disappear.   
I made all children without any categories, but still they appear in the new products and best products.
The best variant for me is to show only parent product without duplicating (child products). But i have no idea how to do this  :-\