News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Problem with custom fields

Started by nillew, February 29, 2012, 12:38:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nillew

Hi,

I can not save a new custom field. After Saving the new custom field VM give me information that it is saved. But the newly created field was not applied.

I tried to edit a existing custom field and it also did not work. All changes were not saved.

Please help me.

AngelaACS

I am also having this problem, has there been any resolutions?
I'm at my wits end trying to figure out what to do next. I've reset permissions, checked the log files, and there are no errors. I've just updated everything to the latest versions. I'm running VM Version 2.0.6. 

What happens: I successfully created the custom fields, they do appear in the product under custom fields tab, in the dropdown area. I apply the information I want, and click save. It states that the information was saved. When I open the product, it's back to where it was before I applied the custom field.

PHP Built On    Linux webserver2 3.0.0-17-server #30-Ubuntu SMP Thu Mar 8 22:15:30 UTC 2012 x86_64
Database Version    5.1.61-0ubuntu0.11.10.1
Database Collation    utf8_general_ci
PHP Version    5.3.6-13ubuntu3.6
Web Server    Apache/2.2.20 (Ubuntu)
WebServer to PHP Interface    apache2handler
Joomla! Version    Joomla! 2.5.4 Stable [ Ember ] 2-April-2012 14:00 GMT
Joomla! Platform Version    Joomla Platform 11.4.0 Stable [ Brian Kernighan ] 03-Jan-2012 00:00 GMT

rvillela

I am having the same problem. I see the custom fields in the dropdown (see attachment), but there seems to be no way of adding it to the list of custom fields for the product.

VM Version        2.0.6.
PHP Version    5.3.10
Web Server    Apache
WebServer to PHP Interface    cgi-fcgi
Joomla! Version    Joomla! 2.5.4 Stable [ Ember ] 2-April-2012 14:00 GMT
Joomla! Platform Version    Joomla Platform 11.4.0 Stable [ Brian Kernighan ] 03-Jan-2012 00:00 GMT

[attachment cleanup by admin]

PRO

rvillela,

are you opening the dropdown, and clicking one?

ALSO; are there javascript errors?

what browser?

rvillela

Yes, I am selecting one of the options from the dropdown list with no effect. The only javascript error I see is a missing gif file (/administrator/components/com_virtuemart/assets/images/admin_ui/icon_external_link.gif).
When I use VM 2.0.0 the dropdown looks slightly different (see attached), but still does not add the options selected. It starts with "Select an Option" where as VM 2.0.6 just starts with the list of options.

I have tried this on Firefox and Chrome. On IE 8 the Product Tabs in general do not work for me.

[attachment cleanup by admin]

AngelaACS

Yes, I'm selecting the dropdown. I've applied the settings to that drop down's custom fields, click save... and it appears to save, but then goes back to it's original.
Before I posted, I tried it on Mac Firefox, and Safari. As well as Firefox in Windows 7.

I've just done further testing and here are the results.

Windows XP: IE 8 - no navigation at all for the top tabs inside of products. You can see the top tabs, but they will not click at all, for any of them. I can't even get to the custom fields to see if I can save the item. (I can navigate everywhere else inside of VM, but once I open the product the top tabs will not work. I've also checked these top tabs inside of the configuration, and it's the same, not able to click on the top tabs).

Windows 7 IE 8 - (same as XP IE8)

Windows XP: Firefox 11, Chrome 18, Oprera 11.62, - back to the original issue, able to browse everywhere, top tabs work fine, but custom field items will not save.
Mac OX 7.3:  Firefox 11, Safari 5.1.5-  back to the original issue, able to browse everywhere, top tabs work fine, but custom field items will not save.

No Javascript errors using Firebug on Mac Firefox 11.
Only when using Windows XP Firefox 11, do I see this error.

Timestamp: 4/18/2012 11:03:24 AM
Error: event is not defined
Source File: http://d3m5drat5m0ays.cloudfront.net/items/loaders/loader_1086.js?pid=1086&systemid=136c1743dc95edb924d70c32a05b2067&aoi=1334685368&crr=1334764980&zoneid=30764&cid=US&rid=MN&ccid=Faribault&dma=613
Line: 1

PRO

rvillela

Yes, jQuery and jQueryUI are loaded (ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.6.4/jquery.min.js and //ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jqueryui/1.8.16/jquery-ui.min.js).

I also tried it on Safari with the same results. What I noticed with IE8 is that the tabs do not work, but the page is all inline (scroll down several pages) and not hidden behind the tabs. Still get the same results, no action when items are selected from the dropdown list.

I have JomSocial 2.6 installed which uses it's own jQuery as well.
Are you able to get it working on your environment?

PRO

Quote from: rvillela on April 18, 2012, 18:55:01 PM

Are you able to get it working on your environment?

yes,
Most people do have it working

and there might be a conflict with the other jquery

AngelaACS

I didn't have Jquery loaded, unless it's being loaded by something else that I'm unaware of.

PRO

Quote from: AngelaACS on April 18, 2012, 21:08:38 PM
I didn't have Jquery loaded, unless it's being loaded by something else that I'm unaware of.

the dropdown uses jquery to load the custom field via ajax

AngelaACS

Ok, gotcha.

The dropdowns are working, I can select items that are being pulled from the previously set up custom items, etc, they all appear to work just fine.

I can enter the information for any of the custom fields available, within the product. It fails during the save. It will not store the information that I'm entering for the custom field. Any other info in the product is saved properly, except the custom area. Any ideas?

rvillela

Ok, so it appears that JomSocial was the culprit  :-[ in my case . I uninstalled JomSocial and now the custom fields work as expected. They also save when I save the product. What is really strange is that the Community jQuery files are still being loaded, but it works.

Thanks for your help, now I just have to figure out why JomSocail is causing this issue and how to prevent it from happening.

AngelaACS

I was able to get it to save!

I just stumbled across this by complete accident ... (I've not uninstalled anything).

Located at the upper left of the "custom field" tab area, is "Overwrite plugin values of the parent". If you check this option, then magically, I can save the custom field information for that product.  After the save, the Overwrite plugin values of the parent option disappears.
what is Overwrite plugin values of the parent doing to make it save the custom field information??
I've also looked in an older version of VM that I have installed on a different site, and this issue is was not happening on the products on that instance at all. (same webserver, only difference is older version of Joomla (2.5.1), and older version of VM (2.0.2). HOWEVER... if I add a child item to the product, then it will not save again, until that check box is checked.