Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

What am I doing wrong when migrating to VM 2.0

Started by Edward, February 15, 2012, 07:54:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edward

I am using Joomla 1.5.23
I am trying to upgrade on localhost from VM 1.1.9 stable to VM 2.0.0
I followed all the instructions here to the tee http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=95389.msg313121#msg313121
Detail 1: I copied the entire image directories including hidden files and index.html
Detail 2: I imported all jos_vm tables as is into the database. No renaming or other mods
Detail 3: I made a multitude of migrator runs until I couldn't find a change in results

1: the migrator produced errors in migrating the images and no images were migrated. It's always the same error vmError: Couldnt resolve mime images\stories\virtuemart\product\
2: All the shop information did not migrate
3: The control panel keeps staying blank. I have to (for example) click on "Statistics" first to see the Control Panel options. Same if I'm in on of those options.

I found a threat saying that I should install VM2.0.1. I can't find that version in the download area.

Any hints pointing in the right direction are greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Edward

xdoktor

Hi,

the latest VM2 version is always linked to in this thread :-)
Currently Viretuemart 2.0.1 H

http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=96945.0

Edward

Thanks Xdoctor,

I get out of this thread that VM2.0 is still buggy and kind of experimental. I'll monitor the development then a little bit longer before migrating. Thanks for the reply.

Regards,
Edward

Edward

Quote from: xdoktor on February 15, 2012, 23:27:45 PM
Hi,

the latest VM2 version is always linked to in this thread :-)
Currently Viretuemart 2.0.1 H

http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=96945.0

Hi Xdoctor,

I can let go and trief VM 2.0.1. Now I get the error message that the site can't be displayed because of a non-supported compression -method.

Could it be that I have to update my Xampp installation? What version are you using on localhost? Any clue why the migrator has these mime-issues? I also get the error message when uploading an image.

Cheers and thanks for your support,
Edward

xdoktor

@Edward

IMHO - My feelings on VM2 are mixed so far....a lot of confusion seems to come from the underlying fact that VM2 should of never(remember readers I did use IMHO at the beginning! lol) been touted as any kind of 'final release' and should of stayed in BETA...whichj would of caused lees confusion for users old & new....however releasing VM2 allows for a lot more user interaction with the new VM2 software for the coders/testers/forum gurus (Milbo, Banquet T Pro, Jenkinhill et al!) to try to work out the bugs...from what i see there are significant changes in VM2 and one would hope this will lead to a more productive version of VM in general for the future.....and I thank the programmers for their continued hard work :-)
My sadness comes from VM2 getting a 'bashing' from users not getting and 'out of the box' solution for their needs...my argument will always be 'but this is free/evolving software for goodness sake' and lets try to fix the problems together for the benefit of all...

re 'XAMPP' - In my experience it seems to missed a lot that J1.5.x DOES NOT LIKE latest versions of XAMPP...
I use an older version - XAMPP 1.7.3  - http://sourceforge.net/projects/xampp/files/XAMPP%20Windows/1.7.3/xampp-win32-1.7.3.exe/download
This version works fine with J1.5x installations to localhost.
***readers please feel free to correct anything here that is wrong!****
I have NOT tried as yet to migrate to J2.5.1 and then intall a newer version of XAMPP on my system that J2.5.1 is friendly with....anyone know? I will be trying this out over next few days.

I myself am having difficulties with the whole VM1 to VM2 migrate process but also understand that all users setups are different and you have to find what works for you....
I have only tried to use JUpdate so far for updating Joomla to 2.5.1, I believe there are some 'paid' plugins that can achieve some better results...however my JUpdate Joomla migration seemed to go quite well.
Migrating data from VM1 to VM2 is proving tedious at best so far but again I will...try try try, test test test!! lol

I am lucky that the option to build a completely new fresh Joomla 2.5.1 & VM2.0.x installation is there for us as we only have 30+ products so the most important thing to us is getting 'order & user' data etc out of our VM1.x installations' MySQL...but that defeats the whole point IMO, trying to get a 'final migration method for all' to use is what all user experience & issues on these forum threads should really be leading us to....

best of luck
Dok