News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

One Click Checkout

Started by sscheidegger, November 01, 2011, 18:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sscheidegger

Hi all

I'm modifying the cart view (as an output override) trying to achieve a One Click Checkout procedure. My idea would be to see the cart on top, below follows the form to fill in name and address and below a button to order. To do this, I copied and adapted the code from user/edit_address.php to cart/default.php. Atm this is working, but the user needs to press the "save" button after entering his address and then he can press the "checkout" button. Is there a way to do this two tasks with one click?

I thought of two possibilities: Either I can find a way to make a button that sends the two forms one after another and in the correct order (which I didn't manage so far). Or is there a way to combine those things into one form? Is it possible to send in one form several tasks to several controllers, i.e. task1 = savecartuser, controller1 = user, task2 = confirm, controller2 = cart ?

Any ideas how to achieve this?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Greets,
Stefan

mcflause

Hey, did you find a solution to this? I am trying to achieve the same thing and it seems that the developers aren't interested in helping with One Page Checkout

Thanks.

sscheidegger

No, I didn't find a way. Sorry!

@VM developers out there: A hint whether this is possible or not would be appreciated!

Greets,
Stefan

PolishedGeek

We develop a One Page Checkout Module extension, so this is something we're very familiar with handling.  The challenge is that real time shipping and location-based tax calculation modules in VM require that the user record be in the database before they can be successfully run, unless you hack them. And after those modules perform their calculations, then you usually need a decision or some sort of confirmation from the user before proceeding to the final place order step (for instance, they might need to choose their shipping method, or perhaps review their revised total cart amount).

Anyway, in our extension it also is a two-step process when these things are necessary. When you don't have any calculations that need to be made (let's say for digital goods with no taxes or shipping involved, or just flat rate shipping) then you should be able to successfully code a single click checkout. 

Hope this helps,
~ Deb Cinkus, CEO of Polished Geek
~ Deb Cinkus, CEO
Polished Geek, LLC   |    www.PolishedGeek.com

Creators of JoomLister - eBay Lister for Joomla!

JtouchMobile.com

@sscheidegger: how about ajax submit? when user done step 1, the script (js) will check if all fine then will call step 2 automatically :)
Author of Jtouch - Mobile solution for Joomla & VirtueMart
http://www.jtouchmobile.com

sscheidegger

@MobileMeWs: Thanks for the hint, I'll have a look at it. I have never used ajax myself, but somehow I thought this might be a solution...

drizzt99

Ajax is not the only solution, but the cleanest one as far as I can see.
Another solution can be to use cUrl in the next page (the page that handles the form).  The page will "split" the $_POST info from the form with the needed params for each form and send them to the relevant pages with the relevant tasks twice.
Anyway, I'll be happy to know if you did the Ajax solution.  It would be helpful.

bunglehaze

I must admit, since migrating over to VM2 I have had loads of complaints from customers and most involving the checkout process. Why there needs to be so many clicks before payment I really do not understand. I for one would welcome a more intuitive solution.

jjk

@bunglehaze
Perhaps you have checked "Show checkout steps" in VM2 Configuration :-)
Can you post a link to your shop - I'm curious to see a VM2 shop the customers complain about  ;D
( My old shop uses a 3-4 step checkout and I didn't receive a single complaint about that within the last 5 years or so)

BTW - "One click checkouts" usually don't work (and in some countries they are even forbidden), because online shops are still not intelligent enough to automagically enter:
1. Customer's Country/State, in order to calculate the correct tax
2. Customer's location, in order to calculate shipping cost
3. Customer's prefered Payment method, and i.e. enter and check the validity of credit card details.
Also, the cart eventually has to add a surcharge for certain payment methods selected by the customer.
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations

bunglehaze

@jjk, Show checkout steps makes zero difference - only shows text before the login area unless I am mistaken.
Erm, you are curious to see a VM2 shop customers complain about - really? Customers can and do complain about every software and expecting VM2 to be 'perfect' is a little arrogant - it really is not perfect and as I have helped locate and fix a few of the bugs during the RC stages I am not some noob user who cannot configure correctly (as is often implied on this forum)

One click checkout or in my opinion a more intuitive checkout can work very well if done properly, I preferred the 4 stage checkout of VM1 to the new one as it is trying to be like a one click checkout but not managing any real control.

ie:

Why not have the option for a checkbox in the payment and shipping select area rather than enforcing a new page load for each, a customer will look down the page and choose the relevant option but if they miss it they then go to the shipping/payment select screen. I would like the option to choose to show the checkboxes as I am sure others would like to hide them - the current system is not basic enough to be intuitive.

If you have logged in and then checked the check out button, why are you then taken to the same page again to confirm again? This is not required at all and adds a confusion to customers - remember, we are not providing a shop for developers and coders to use but customers who can be as thick as two planks and need the simplest solution.

What would have been good to include is  To choose a default payment system - customer clicks the button to change - this is missing and IMO an important function, for 99% of my customers Paypal or Credit Card is applicable so by having the option to choose a default you are removing the need for another click for most customers - the same can be true for shipping on other people's shops so why not include the option to choose a default or not?

As I say though it is not intuitive enough, perhaps it is just down to styling and layout but IMO a customer will login or register, click checkout, be taken to choose shipping, click continue, back to cart, click checkout, be taken to choose payment, back to cart, click checkout, confirm, back to cart, click checkout and FINALLY checkout

jjk

Quote from: bunglehaze on January 02, 2012, 13:57:31 PM
Erm, you are curious to see a VM2 shop customers complain about - really? Customers can and do complain about every software and expecting VM2 to be 'perfect' is a little arrogant - it really is not perfect...

Excuse me, but with my post I just wanted to trigger some more details from you describing what you think needs to be improved.  :)

Concerning customers complaining about a shop's checkout - in my old online shop the checkout is quite comfortable, except occational hickups with paypal, but the complete rest of the shop, designed approximately 7 years ago, is - in my opinion - more or less a nightmare compared to today's standards. But for some reason, I now and then still receive compliments about the "good design" from customers rather than complaints.

bunglehaze

What I meant by my post is that customers complain about many things in even the best software, VM2 is not a smooth system yet, VM1 worked really well but was badly coded and dated and I think too many areas of VM2 have been overthought to make it up to date but losing the old simplicity in use - a delicate balance, I was not inferring you were arrogant but rather the usual approach of developers to think their product is perfect when it is not.

As you say my old shop checkout worked perfectly smoothly, customer enters cart, is told what to type and what to tick, clicks checkout and Voila! The new system is far too fussy and seems to have no option to pare it all down to a more simple solution.

I just did a test order based on being a new customer and have found a workaround to the default payment system in that I choose a country for the second choice and no country for PayPal (as an example) so PayPal is automatically highlighted, this will not work with my shipping though. This is what I found:

Customer clicks cart > either login or in this case register which means clicking the Bill To/ Add/Edit address - no label under bill to explain as there is in shipping:
COM_VIRTUEMART_USER_FORM_EDIT_BILLTO_EXPLAIN="Why not have this added to state that new customers enter their details here or click through checkout"
In my case I then click to checkout as Paypal is highlighted already, opens Add Edit Address page > fill in details and click save > back to cart where you then have to login > taken to edit address page again where nothing needs doing just click save > back to cart > click checkout, opens select shipping page, shipping selected > back to cart > click checkout (third time now as a new customer) and you are taken back to cart with a checkout completed message > click confirm order (essentially checkout button for a fourth time)

If you look at it in this way it really is easy to see why people would get annoyed and abandon a purchase, if the shipping and payment selections have to be seperate why not have them load in a modal box after you click checkout the first time? You would click the button, popup would nag for shipping and payment selections and once saved the confirm order page could load.

maks

@jjk maybe you should read this ;)
The checkout proces is one of most important things in webshop. Maybe you dont have complaints on your shop...just less customers.
In old VM you manage to config checkout in 3 or 4 steps. Now is twice as much. You can not say its good or even better.
I realy hope that devs will see that to and improve that.
Otherwise will just use onepage extension by polishedgeek.

jjk

I'm not saying that a single page checkout is bad. (bunglehaze's points are more about the customer being redirected away and back to the main cart page several times). If I remember correctly there are a few long discussions about that in the forum already.

QuoteGoogle Website Optimizer concluded that the single-page checkout outperformed the out-of-the-box checkout by a whopping 21.8%.

That just states that Google's Website Optimizer thinks there is a 21.8 percent improvement. I wouldn't trust that without testing it myself, because the "Website Optimizer" sometimes comes up with rubbish and the writer of that "Case Study" didn't say whether or not their conversion rate actually improved.

trankhanh89

This is the answer for VM 1.x: https://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=78854.0. But not work for 2.0 because some files has changed their structure. Can someone help me to work with 2.0 version. Many thanks.

Học Lập Trình PHP
Học Lập Trình Javascript
Học Lập Trình Ruby