News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

copying old order details to new site

Started by garwoodengear, September 30, 2011, 06:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garwoodengear

Hi,
Could someone tell me in detail if it is possible to copy orders and user details from our old site using joomla 1.5.23 and VM 1.1.9 to a new site using joomla 1.7 and VM 2, as I don't want to loose any of that information.

Thanks in advance

Milbo

Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

garwoodengear

Hi Milbo,
Thanks for  the advice but the problem I have is I have started rebuilding our site, as a testsite inside our main site and have done lots of work on it, now I just need to add the orders so the site is ready to put up. Then we are thinking at some stage we should upgrade to joomla 1.7.  If someone could tell me the best way to accomplish this, I would appreciate it.

Regards A

Milbo

Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

garwoodengear

Hi Milbo,
Sorry I did look at your link, but I thought it was going to be just about migrating a single site, and I needed to join to 2 site and keep the orders. I guess I need to go through the whole article. sorry again, I did read the link you had given me.

A

Milbo

This can be nasty. The problem is that you have two database with maybe the same products just with different product id and things like this. In your case, I would copy the vm1 tables into your new shop and do the migration, then delete the old vm_ tables and import the tables of the other shop, press updateMigration again. That may work. But you can also get trouble by setting wrong relations.

Or you combine first the data of the two shops, import then all vm_ tables to your new shop and use migration.

Hammerhead

Milbo, I'm pretty much in the same situation.  Still not entirely clear on a couple things.

When the instructions talk about disabling 'plugins and modules', does that mean things like ACYmailing and AWOcoupon? 

Remember I want to port data from an old site (J1.5/VM1.15) to a completely fresh installation of J1.7 and VM2.
I do NOT need any old items, categories or manufacturers. 

All I want are: users, and orders if possible, however if the old product IDs conflict with the new products that I will be creating, then I can even leave that behind.

Is there a procedure for this?  IOW, is there a way to create an export file to bring to the new installation that contains only the data I need?

Thanks again in advance!

Milbo

Quote from: Hammerhead on October 10, 2011, 19:01:13 PM
When the instructions talk about disabling 'plugins and modules', does that mean things like ACYmailing and AWOcoupon? 
of course, but awocoupon is soon or already available for vm2. It is like updating mambo to j1.5. All the vm1.1 stuff wont work anylonger and must be deactivated or it throws errors.

Quote from: Hammerhead on October 10, 2011, 19:01:13 PM
Remember I want to port data from an old site (J1.5/VM1.15) to a completely fresh installation of J1.7 and VM2.[/b] I do NOT need any old items, categories or manufacturers. 

All I want are: users, and orders if possible, however if the old product IDs conflict with the new products that I will be creating, then I can even leave that behind.

Yes this is very easy, just copy your user relevant tables into the new installation and copy the old producs.

In vm2 is a migrator, this means the old data is taken and inserted completly new. You can can have 1000 products and categories in your store and migrate then. Should also work.

Just follow the page. The migrator only needs the old tables. with the prefix vm_ and creates everything new and inserts it into the tables with prefix virtuemart_

I wonder why you just not try it, that would be much easier then discussing about it.

The tools are full with extra stuff to help people with it and it seems that people dont use it, strange.

Hammerhead

QuoteThe migrator only needs the old tables. with the prefix vm_ and creates everything new and inserts it into the tables with prefix virtuemart_
Milbo, that's the piece of information that is missing.  There was no explaination about how the migrator worked.  Now that I know all I have to do is export/import the old VM tables to the new installation and run the upgrade, everything will be fine.

Milbo

from the page:
"Because the migrator does not just copy the db data. The migrator gets the information of the old "_vm_" tables and adds them to VM2 using the VM2 models. This means for example, when your old products used the ids from 100-500, they will have the ids 1-401 in VM2."

?? Afaik even better explained. Btw you should know your most used flypage and enter it, in other case you will get problems that the layout was not found.