News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Attributes/Custom Fields Thread

Started by PRO, September 12, 2011, 15:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRO

Quote from: jltalavera on March 11, 2012, 11:16:54 AM
Hi there

Starting with Virtuemart 2.0.2, some problem with pricing calculations.......

1.- Product with 2 prices, no price in the price section. Price introduced in custom field-cart variant. 1 price is 1600, the other is 1675, why is showing in the drop-down 1920, the other 2010??

2.- Is there anyway that the lowest price shown in custom filed - cart variant is shown as main price?

Thanks for your help

Cheers

Jose

change your rate to "tax per bill"

jltalavera

Thanks! Sorted

Now, how can I automatically bring the lowest custom field price to the main price screen, to show at least the cheapest?

Cheers

Jose

dsrpmedia

In vm 1.1 it was so easy to add a child product with a specific attribute  - eg size

1) create a parent, say 'face cream' sku 'facecream' ,
2) then you would simply add an attribute 'Size', save then
3) click on the product name in the following page
4) - than add your children ('new item')

eg 'face cream' sku 'fc1' , attribute - size '15ml'   etc. eezee-peezee

someone was kind enough to post simple instructions here http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=41605.0

I `ve been banging my head for days to get this to work in vm 2 but I`m at a loss

if someone could post some very easy to understand instructions for this I would really appreciate it.

Thank you

John2400

This is what I did and it still does not work but you can see my steps -
1) I created a parent product called shirts -
2) I created two child products from the shirts product and called them , small and large .
Thus I have now three products.
3) I created a custom field using the Generic Child Varient and called it size of shirt
4) I went back to my parent product and >> custom fields and chose two custom fields I just created.
5) I then went to the myparent >>product information and there appeared two child products within the parent product.
6) I then went to the front page and looked at my product -
7) - yes I could see the drop down boxes and the costs >> I thought I only needed one drop down option (as you can see in the image I have two)??so I went back to the parent product and deleted one custom field hoping that I would end up with one drop down box and two options.
8) What happened was that I then ended up with just one varient small shirts and one button - that was no good.
9 ) I replaced the varient in the parent >> now back to where I was. a product with too many buttons and options.
10 ) Besides the prices adding and driving me crazy - I then tried changing price option in the child products(inside the parent product) , the custom fields, and then in the actual chilld products themselves.

Then I took all the T shirts placed them in a pile and jumped on them. ( or I thought If I washed the large T shirts in hot water)) they would all be small and I wouldn't have to sell big ones or use varients.)
* I only used T-shirts as a test - I do not sell them at all.

I have put up images of each of the options I spoke of - I know they are not correct but at least it might create a discussion. or others might try for suggestions.
10)

[attachment cleanup by admin]

TBoele

Can someone from the VM team give an reaction about this discussion here.

Bruce Morgan

Steve Jobs should be rolling in his grave.  He excelled with taking complicated features that were virtuaallu impossible to use and simplifying them until a child could use it.  VM seesm to be gpoing the opposite direction.   The 1.1.x attributes and parent/child features were simple to understand and implement.  The new version is as complicated as Rubik's cube, so much in fact that i have not seen a single instance where anyone has been able to make it work as intended, in fact the intentions are even unclear.  This seems to be the Achilles Heel of VM2.x

Bruce

dsrpmedia

I agree

One of the things I LOVED about virtuemart was the ability to show it to a client with no computer skills & a half hour later they could do anything they would ever need to do as far as running their shop. (I`ve built well over 50 virtuemart shops)

With VM 2 I have been trying since January to recreate a simple parent/child relationship which took me less than 5 minutes to set up in VM 1.1 -and I`m beginning to suspect that it isn `t even possible - and even if it is possible the required procedure is so convoluted & complicated I can `t imagine trying to show someone without programming skills how to do it.

In fact I may need to hire a programmer just to show ME how to do it.

TBoele

I also agree.

We are now at version VM 2.0.3E and i think it's still not possible to create what everyone wants.
That's why we don't hear anything from the VM team.

corymp

1. Create a parent product called Shirt and give it a category.
2. create children products of shirt (small, medium, large) Do not give these children a category.
3. create your custom field, type = generic child variant. Title = Size. Cart Attribute= Yes.
4. add this custom field to your parent product.

When you view the product, all children will show in one dropdown. when you select an item in the dropdown, it will send you to the product details page of the child product selected.

The major issue still present is that the dropdown box is wrapped in a radio button element. which don't make sense.
VM 2.0.4 Stable
J2.5.4

chiappa

Quote from: corymp on March 17, 2012, 22:44:43 PM
When you view the product, all children will show in one dropdown. when you select an item in the dropdown, it will send you to the product details page of the child product selected.

AFAIK, this technique has a major flaw. Now let's say you want to sell a shirt sized A, B & C. Because you have to set one of these items as the parent item, also the name containing one of these attributes will be shown when viewing the list of products.

I simply want to have the name "Shirt" shown when browsing products and A, B, C options shown only when viewing the product details.

I invented a crazy work-around as I was very desperate, I can post it if needed. Please let us know if you have a good solution for this!

dsrpmedia

that`s the theory - but hasn `t worked so well in practice.

here`s an example

here is a parent/child setup in vm 1.1 http://nutrawholesale.com/nutra-organic-plant-acids-opa/opa-daily-protection?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_default.tpl&product_id=30&category_id=44
notice how you can see the prices / sizes in the dropdown
- and how the parent is not being added to the dropdown
-and how the parent itself has no price

now here is a vm 2.0 setup http://ch25.rejuvasolutions.com/store/handtools/hand-shovel-g02-detail

-there is no way of discerning between the various options (no size info or price) and the parent is being added to the dropdown

- there does not seem to be a way of having no price on the parent, with all the pricing options on the children - if you remove the price from the parent the children disappear altogether.

also for some reason there is a line 'no additional charge' being added - I can `t figure out where that comes from either

do you know how to resolve this?

John2400

dsrpmedia ,
The actual line 'no additional charge'  lives in the language files - you can just delete this line
in en-GB.com_virtuemart.ini
(or the language you use) --
* the rest I am still working on as you can see my posts - previously.

corymp: you know I tried in my post to just add the varient like you said- It must be the order that I add the varients.
I'll try again and use the order you set.

corymp

Quote from: John2400 on March 17, 2012, 23:30:31 PM
dsrpmedia ,
The actual line 'no additional charge'  lives in the language files - you can just delete this line
in en-GB.com_virtuemart.ini
(or the language you use) --
* the rest I am still working on as you can see my posts - previously.

corymp: you know I tried in my post to just add the varient like you said- It must be the order that I add the varients.
I'll try again and use the order you set.

see http://test2.firenl.com/store/eliquid/fruit-flavors/almond-detail as an example
VM 2.0.4 Stable
J2.5.4

dsrpmedia

how did you get the size attribute in the dropdown?
would be nice to get the price there as well

I notice all sizes are $30.00 - is that the way you have it set, or is the dropdown not updating the price?

dsrpmedia

by the way corymp I really like that product info tabs box - where is that from?