News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Attributes/Custom Fields Thread

Started by PRO, September 12, 2011, 15:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Studio 42

Hi,
Zip your file and post it(attach). it's more clear, because some line change from one release to another and we can do a file compare to see the changes you made.
If this is a right solution we try add it in virtuemart.

OpenGlobal

Attached.

[attachment cleanup by admin]

dsrpmedia

QuoteIf this is a right solution we try add it in virtuemart.

I`m not sure I`m quite following - this will allow us to have parent products as a template (not orderable, not in dropdown) and the children as the actual products? (like in VM 1.1 - which was AWESOME)

Studio 42

forgot VM1.1, can be this display the same but the method is not same.
Sure for now the gui is a little to enchance but the code is only 1 year old, Vm1.1 was herited from 8 year dev.
BUt i found you can do more then vm1.1 but it's only not finish in some case. And many enchancement are simply not "visible".

dsrpmedia

I guess

I`m trying very hard not to be tooo bitchy, but it does get frustrating.

I `ve been trying for several weeks now to replicate a basic vm 1.1 site with parents/children etc & as far as I can tell - and from what I`ve been able to discover spending time every day in the forums is that it`s just not possible - so I have several sites I cannot upgrade from joomla 1.5 to 2.5 because there is not a viable ecommerce option.

see this page http://nutrawholesale.com/nutra-organic-plant-acids-opa/2-step-anti-flu-program?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_default.tpl&product_id=27&category_id=43

do you think you could replicate in vm 2.0?

main points:
-parent has no price /  cannot be added to cart
-child has to be selected before the 'add to cart' option is available
- child product name + attribute (size) + price are all included in the drop down (parent is not in drop down)

----------------------------------
also, in many cases (every host I have tried) the stockable variants plugin (as limited as it is) causes errors & does not work.

when I load the site locally the plugin works but I get weird anomalies like the price in the cart being different than the price on the product page (eg on the order page it is 48.00 + tax, in the cart it shows up as 59.00 + tax) etc.

& I haven `t even gotten to the next level (shipping, taxes order email etc) - can `t wait to see what I find there
-----------------------------------

If you could make 1 sample product (parent with children) work as described on godaddy
- even just a clean joomla 2.5.4 install with sample data only, and a clean vm 2.0.4 install sample data only - say the 'ladder' and it`s children

I would gladly pay you for your time

Bruce Morgan

I agree.  You combine software that is complex and extemely difficult to use, coupled with numerous bugs and weekly updates and it is almost impossible to know where the dividing line is between "difficult to configure" and "just plain broken".  I can afford to wait a few more months to find out which it is, but it has been an inauspicious beginning.

jjk

Quote from: dsrpmedia on April 13, 2012, 22:04:35 PM
main points:
-parent has no price /  cannot be added to cart
-child has to be selected before the 'add to cart' option is available
- child product name + attribute (size) + price are all included in the drop down (parent is not in drop down)

In your case I would just create one parent including the attribute and price and one child product into which you only need to enter the title (what you want to see in the dropdown) and the price. Attach a custom field labled "Please select an item" which is set up as 'Generic custom variant" to both. The result will be an automatically generated dropdown selection of your two product variants in the product details page.
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations

dsrpmedia

In your case I would just create one parent including the attribute and price and one child product into which you only need to enter the title (what you want to see in the dropdown) and the price. Attach a custom field labled "Please select an item" which is set up as 'Generic custom variant" to both. The result will be an automatically generated dropdown selection of your two product variants in the product details page.

couple questions
- are these 'Generic custom variants' stockable?
-would this parent have the price on the main page / be addable to the cart, or could it be set so that you had to choose one of the children?
- so the child product name would have to include the price?
(if so then wouldn `t the price be displayed twice once the child product was selected?)
-I would have to create a custom field set for every product?  ( I was rather hoping to be able to have some preset custom fields - one for products that come in 10ml, 15ml, 30ml, another for products that com in 100g 200g 500g etc)

bunglehaze

I too am having difficulty with custom fields which is getting hugely frustrating now as a large section of my site has effectively been broken since v2.0, initially I migrated to the new version and had to re-input prices for each attribute, annoying but no dealbreaker, essentially though I could set a zero price for the parent product and then a set price per variant in the custom fields - this is a very basic requirement for ANY e-commerce shop and I am gobsmacked it is still not working.

As far as I can see I cannot have an absolute price for each of my variant's in the product, I have to setup a rate for the product and then +/- price for each variant, if I set a zero rate the products prices are all hidden. I first reported this issue after updating to one of the development releases between 2.0 and 2.0.1.

If any of you guys know of a way that makes this work as it should (ie in the very much working 1.1) I would be grateful, I am all for software being developed differently but missing out key functions is plain stupid.

dsrpmedia

I hear you bunglehaze - it is astonishing to me that they did not think to give vm 2.0 the ability  to replicate a vm 1.1 site.

Steo

I'm experiencing a big problem since I updated from VM 2.0 to 2.0.4.
I'm selling pictures printed on canvas, and for each product i have 16 custom sizes eaxh one with a price modificator.

If with the previous version I was easily able to set this thing up from the back end, now i'm not anymore

In the back end, when trying to add custom sizes with price modificator as I use to, nothing happen, no new field is created.
I tried also creating plug-in, but same problem.
I can create the rule, but when i go to apply it to the product, can't anymore

Here is the link of what I want to achieve: http://www.annybarlowimages.com/test/collections/my-favorites/colorfulvisions-shop

And I attach a back-end picture of this product (with all the custom fields)

Please help
Joomla 1.7
VM 2.0.4
Mac
Firefox

[attachment cleanup by admin]

dsrpmedia

Join the club Steo

your link - is it a vm 2.0 site?
are those children products stockable?

Steo

Quote from: dsrpmedia on April 17, 2012, 19:21:46 PM
Join the club Steo

your link - is it a vm 2.0 site?
are those children products stockable?

VM 2.0.4

I don't hold any stock

[n]atalie

I haven't been able to find an answer for this so I'm hoping someone can help or link me to the proper documentation.

In VM 1 when you had an attribute you could do +/-5 to add/subtract $5 to/from the price if the option was selected, which still seems to work fine, but there was also an option to write =5 which would change the base price of the item to $5. I this option still available? Maybe the syntax is just different?

Any help would be really appreciated.

dsrpmedia

no, another awesome feature from VM 1.1 which seems to have been removed