News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Product link suffix, yes or no?

Started by EvanGR, July 29, 2019, 09:53:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EvanGR

The default VM product link suffix is "-detail".

I am thinking of changing it, or even disabling it completely. So a product URL ends by the pure alias string.

Is this a bad idea?

Thanks

GJC Web Design

it can be anything or nothing  -- it is there basically to guard against a category and a product producing the same SEF url..
assume this can't happen if u have  Use full category tree for product links checked
GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation

PRO

Its a bad idea to CHANGE them if you have been indexed.

doesnt hurt , or help SEO

I have mine set to -p   so a short url.

EvanGR

Yes... it's a new site, so that won't be a problem.

Robin166

The URLs you assign to products and categories play a major role in determining how well your site is indexed by search engines. Before you start building your catalog is an ideal time to consider the available options

Mod edit: spam link removed

PRO

Quote from: Robin166 on August 06, 2019, 08:16:42 AM
The URLs you assign to products and categories play a major role in determining how well your site is indexed by search engines. Before you start building your catalog is an ideal time to consider the available options.

they do NOT play a major role anymore.
You want nice urls yes, readable, short, easy to share.

Keywords in urls mean nothing anymore.