News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Virtuemart to show multiple products in the same page

Started by JaviG, April 28, 2015, 01:11:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaviG

Hi, a client wants a website made with Virtuemart, as you know normally with Virtuemart you can browse categories which show products with the price and a little description and then you have to click on said product to actually choose how many you want to buy and then click the "add to cart" button.

But...the client wants that when you choose a category it shows the products in a list but with the functionality of the product page. As example this website http://www.etherealconfections.com/bean-to-bar.html Here you see the categories in a module on the left and you can buy the products right away in the main portion of the site.

So is it possible to achieve this layout with VM?

Thank you
JG.

Jörgen

Hello JaviG

There may be another solution, but here is what You can do.

• Create Your Products.
    • Assign all the products to one or more categories.
    • Make sure You have assigned Virtuemart start page to a menu item.
    • Create a Joomla menu that You Place in the left sidebar.
    • Create a new menu item of the type: VIRTUEMART->PRODUCT DETAILS LAYOUT for each Product You wish to display in that menu.

regards

Jörgen @ Kreativ Fotografi

Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x
Olympiantheme Hera (customized)
This reflects current status when viewing old post.

jenkinhill

@JaviG you mean something like this?  http://demo.virtuemart.net/headpiece

That is VM3.0.8 with the default VM template. 
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

JaviG

@Jörgen, thanks for the tip, but i´m picturing it like that would only show one item for every menu I create and not a list of all the products?...I´ll try it to see how it works.

@Jenkinhill, Yes thats what my client is looking for, with the difference to show only 1 product per row AND... that he is already using VM 2.6.10 (updating to VM 3 is not feasible because many extensions have been bought for this shop with VM2), so is possible to achieve that with VM2?

Regards
JG

Studio 42

Hi,
If you have only simple products(no customfileds), it's possible to add an overide to add the product form.
Perhaps you have to rewrite some javascript too.

JaviG

Quote from: Jörgen on April 28, 2015, 07:54:28 AM
    Hello JaviG

There may be another solution, but here is what You can do.

• Create Your Products.
    • Assign all the products to one or more categories.
    • Make sure You have assigned Virtuemart start page to a menu item.
    • Create a Joomla menu that You Place in the left sidebar.
    • Create a new menu item of the type: VIRTUEMART->PRODUCT DETAILS LAYOUT for each Product You wish to display in that menu.

regards

Just tried your advice, I don´t know if i am missing something, i have now a menu with some products listed on the left module of the website, if i click those it will show the single item, but how do I make it to show various items of the category?

@Studio42

Hi Studio, well the products do have custom fields (different box sizes), so should I create an override of the category page so it shows products like the product page?...got to say  i´m not a developer, my programming knowledge is limited.

JG.

Studio 42

If you don't have any programing knowleg, then it"s hard to change. Sorry check with a developper, the javascript have to be updated and for sure the add to cart form and customfields.
If you need this design without any code changes, then upgrade to virtuemart 3.0.8, But do not try to update on your live site, you have many chances you get bugs on update and some plugin does not work anymore.

Jörgen

@JaviG

I was to Quick to reply. When I looked att the example You gave it just displayed one item at a time.
The page You referred to has the upper level assigned to show one category. I missed that, principle is the same though.

• Add all the Products you want to display into one category
  • Create a new menu item of the type Virtuemart-> Category Layout
  • Assign this category to the created menu item
  • Add the single product menu items You made before as Childs to this menu item

Now You will have the functionality that the site You referenced to has.
You could of course skip the single Product items, but since You pointed to
that example I thought this was important.

This should be it :)

Regards

Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x

jenkinhill

There is a long thread here covering add to cart in the category list for VM2 - http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=90961.0

But I don't believe it can handle custom fields properly. For that you would need to use VM3.x
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

Studio 42

hi Jörgen,
How this answer can work in vm2 ?

Quote from: Jörgen on April 29, 2015, 07:52:25 AM
@JaviG

I was to Quick to reply. When I looked att the example You gave it just displayed one item at a time.
The page You referred to has the upper level assigned to show one category. I missed that, principle is the same though.

• Add all the Products you want to display into one category
  • Create a new menu item of the type Virtuemart-> Category Layout
  • Assign this category to the created menu item
  • Add the single product menu items You made before as Childs to this menu item

Now You will have the functionality that the site You referenced to has.
You could of course skip the single Product items, but since You pointed to
that example I thought this was important.

This should be it :)

Regards

adding the add to card button is not possible withouth rewriting the code and in he's case certainly the javascript.

Greets,
Patrick

JaviG

@Jörgen, thanks for info, ill check if I can make it work like that.

@Jenkinhill.  thats what i need, ill try it anyway and see if it works thanks for pointing me to that thread.

Regards
JG

Studio 42

Second time :
Quote from: JaviG on April 29, 2015, 18:25:38 PM
@Jörgen, thanks for info, ill check if I can make it work like that.
This answer is for VM 3+ only.

THis link  (thanks  jenkinhill) http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=90961.0
Is what i answer and is the code to insert for the addtocar button, if you have no javascript problem, this can be a solution.

Jörgen

@JaviG
Sorry but i missed that You wanted a solution for VM2, this only works for VM3

@studio42
Sorry that I missed that it only works for VM3. The original post didn´t say that it was for VM2. I have been using VM1. I customized this and has been used to have this functionality for almost 8 years with VM1 ;)

regards

Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x