News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

VM2.5 PRODUCT EDIT - lets be more user friendly!

Started by AH, February 24, 2014, 17:42:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AH

After looking at the new layout for product edit in VM2.5

I think a small amount of change might make things simpler and quicker for the site administrator.

Milbo, I tried to help with this some time back but the changes were overlooked, but with the addition of MPN and GIN, IMHO the layout is getting more confused and less user friendly, even with the addition of the new tooltips

Screen shots and template files below

Summary
1) Adjusted the size of the name input fields so we can see more of the name we have typed rather than just 32 chars
2)Moved stock information to Tab1 ( I like for admin to see this and be able to edit straight away)
3) Simple stock available and alert (Highlights where stock is below the notify level)
4) Moved dimensions to Status tab and removed redundant dimensions tab and sorted the layout
5 ) Used tables (within tables) rather than killing myself trying to get TD's to align across a large page of data and allowing for easier styling if required
I can see what a pain it must have been to sort out the addition of just 2 more fields to the top section in the current layout!

Comments and suggestions are always welcome  :)

[attachment cleanup by admin]
Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

AH

Milbo - could this possibly make it to 2.5.2??

:'( :'( :'(

Or do I just keep my overrides going?

Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

Milbo

Regarding the alias, I prefer the philosophy that the thing should not bother a user. The slug filter is just and allows now | and just removes `,ยด,' .

I placed the multidropowns at the bottom so that the design looks always the same way.

The idea to add the stock there, hmm ... .
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

AH

Milbo, yes I think the alias is also not required to be so large

I know design changes can get crazy with everyone wanting their own "perfect" solution that , of course, will not work for others.

I think I understand what you mean by the multiple dropdowns, but shopper group selection could be placed next to category and the labels moved above them.

Removing a tab and consolidating the information for the dimensions and status also seems a simpler way to organise and get info quickly

Stock is good there, one less click and  I did change the product listing to show similar stock information to save ever having to click each item (saves so much time!)

I can work on the drops being on bottom row if you think it might make it into core, but as I said, I am happy to keep applying my own overrides.

I just thought, in the spirit of open source, it was good to share.

Thanks again for taking the time to look.

[attachment cleanup by admin]
Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

bunglehaze

I agree that the layout could be simplified in this way - there is no need to have stock control boxes on a seperate tab IMO. Also it would be much, much simpler if stock control could be altered from the product list rather than having to enter each product seperately to do so, this would speed up admin time immeasurably