News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Why is frontend blank

Started by Agaton, September 12, 2013, 22:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jenkinhill

We have to wonder why you are the only one apparently with this problem. Since the release date of VM2.0.22b there have been over 60,000 downloads of that version and 2.0.22c/d and apart from gantry related display problems nothing else has been reported in any way similar to what you describe.

There were no important changes to templates that affect display between 22a/22b

This has to be a host environment or configuration issue. Or interraction with some 3rd party plugin, but you will have checked for those.

If you are running on localhost only then it is not so easy for any of us to see the issue live - that's why we always ask for a live site url. You can always lock it down with .htaccess password protection to restrict SE access - that is what I do for many of my development sites.

If you want to ask if the lead developer, Milbo, will take a look at the problem then I suggest you drop him a pm.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

Agaton

Thank you for coming back to me.

Quote from: jenkinhill on September 20, 2013, 16:55:36 PM
We have to wonder why you are the only one apparently with this problem. Since the release date of VM2.0.22b there have been over 60,000 downloads of that version and 2.0.22c/d and apart from gantry related display problems nothing else has been reported in any way similar to what you describe.

There were no important changes to templates that affect display between 22a/22b

This has to be a host environment or configuration issue. Or interraction with some 3rd party plugin, but you will have checked for those.
This has been happening since upgrade to 22b, it does not happen in 22a so that discounts server configuration issue. I have installed 22c using the same template structure but as a fresh install that is fine. I have now upgraded 5 sites from 22a to 22b,c,d and the issue exists on purchased templates and my own template. various configurations and plugins installed. The only vm addons I use are those purchased on the extension directory on the vm site.

Currently I am investigating the upgrade procedure and whether that is causing some issue.

If you are running on localhost only then it is not so easy for any of us to see the issue live - that's why we always ask for a live site url. You can always lock it down with .htaccess password protection to restrict SE access - that is what I do for many of my development sites.

I am not running on localhost, but run my test sites on a dedicated server ( I run three optimized for Joomla and VirtueMart ) . My hosting is set, as if live, to enable only me to access the site by making a change to the hosts file on my network. This allows me to work on a site in the same environment as live sites, test and develop without the danger of getting my sites indexed incorrectly by google. As most of my sites rank high that is very important. Then the DNS is set or files moved at live date. Working on a site in localhost can be problematic.

If you want to ask if the lead developer, Milbo, will take a look at the problem then I suggest you drop him a pm.

I will, as I always do, find a solution. I only post on here as a last resort normally and thought I would see if things had changed with the help process on this forum. Unfortunately it has not. But I thank you for reply.

jenkinhill

To check if it is your update procedure make a vanilla install of J2.5.14 in the same server environment and install VM2.0.22d using Joomla's extensions installer. If that works then I guess it points to how you update. I assume you used Joomla's extensions installer for the updates and not the live Akeeba installer?
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

Milbo

Quote from: spike1968 on September 13, 2013, 10:46:41 AM
Notice: Undefined variable: logoImage in /var/www/vhosts/testdomain.co.uk/httpdocs/templates/thathelped/config.php on line 165
Warning: getimagesize() [function.getimagesize]: Filename cannot be empty in /var/www/vhosts/testdomain.co.uk/httpdocs/templates/thathelped/config.php on line 165

This is definitly something in your template.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Milbo

Spike1968 it is really strange what you do. You claim to have an error, you refuse the simpelst thing to help you, give the live page.

There are people who try to help you, but you get aggressive and start to blame the people who give you support, that there is no support. ???

You did not what every professional does, the good old Sherlock Holmes method. "Exclude every possibility and what is left, must be the problem". So you never post your live URL, you do not give BE access, the problem is not so worse, that you write a pm to me (with 100 posts you should know about this possibility) and you did not try your best to determine if it is a server config issue (for example php version), a template issue or somehow connected to the db.

So we need our glasbowls to help you. Yes we have some and we even used them, but sorry that it is not enough.

PS: I had lately some errors, which just happened, because the people used an outdated php version. You should always use at least the last version of a mayor version. So php5.2.17, php5.3.25, or php5.4.19
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

franzpeter

Spike, maybe a silly question. Do you use an updated database with the page, where blank screen occurs, or does it happen with a vanilla install and only the virtuemart example products? Did you use the Tools ->Migration: install or if necessary update tables? My suggestion is if it is a live database to first backup the database to keep the original database and then use the suggested way with the migration tools.

stAn99

I would recommend to check the source code when error reporting is enabled. Sometimes once some html is rendered, the actual fatal error which causes the blank screen may be hidden. Pls check if you see a message like: Fatal error.... If not, for anybody on this forum to be able to help you, you should check your php error logs to see the actual problem. (not joomla logs and not apache logs, but php error logs)

This is my thought from my experience:
- most of the fatal errors that are not shown to you are caused by memory problems, especially when they concern the GD (creating the thumbnails). You should check your Site -> System information -> PHP Information -> search for memory_limit.

If it says 32MB or 64MB and you are not running a pure VM2 demo site with clean installation of Joomla, but rather you have SOME 3rd party extensions installed, make sure that your system handles your needs - it is recommended to have 128MB for an avarage CMS site (regarless of the system) and if you are having many 3rd party extensions, plugins or products, you should have 256MB or even 512 MB memory limit.

Please ask your hosting if it is possible
- to raise/change the limit with php functions (virtuemart already does this in some cases when needed), but it may not be supported by your hosting
- to raise it generically to something higher like those 128MB

If your hosting blocks any of the core php functions such as ini_set or similar with suhosin.

Some hostings may also encounter problems with creating thumbs as they may not have proper libraries installed or they may not be available to you.

Best Regards,
Stan, RuposTel.com
----
RuposTel.com
www.rupostel.com
Your customized checkout solution for Virtuemart

Agaton

Quote from: Milbo on September 22, 2013, 15:44:29 PM
Quote from: spike1968 on September 13, 2013, 10:46:41 AM
Notice: Undefined variable: logoImage in /var/www/vhosts/testdomain.co.uk/httpdocs/templates/thathelped/config.php on line 165
Warning: getimagesize() [function.getimagesize]: Filename cannot be empty in /var/www/vhosts/testdomain.co.uk/httpdocs/templates/thathelped/config.php on line 165

This is definitly something in your template.

Yes it is, but has no bearing on the problem at hand....

Agaton

Quote from: Milbo on September 22, 2013, 15:55:31 PM
Spike1968 it is really strange what you do. You claim to have an error, you refuse the simpelst thing to help you, give the live page.

Live page is not an option, as I explained.... That's why I gave the details to alter the host file a normal process in web development, this allows proper testing on the same environment without Google accidentally indexing the pages and ruining positioning of the existing live site. I cannot believe that help cannot be provided just because a host file cannot be altered.

As for the problem at hand the issue is definitely within the upgrade process as a fresh install works fine.

Agaton

Quote from: stAn99 on September 23, 2013, 18:38:50 PM
I would recommend to check the source code when error reporting is enabled. Sometimes once some html is rendered, the actual fatal error which causes the blank screen may be hidden. Pls check if you see a message like: Fatal error.... If not, for anybody on this forum to be able to help you, you should check your php error logs to see the actual problem. (not joomla logs and not apache logs, but php error logs)

This is my thought from my experience:
- most of the fatal errors that are not shown to you are caused by memory problems, especially when they concern the GD (creating the thumbnails). You should check your Site -> System information -> PHP Information -> search for memory_limit.

If it says 32MB or 64MB and you are not running a pure VM2 demo site with clean installation of Joomla, but rather you have SOME 3rd party extensions installed, make sure that your system handles your needs - it is recommended to have 128MB for an avarage CMS site (regarless of the system) and if you are having many 3rd party extensions, plugins or products, you should have 256MB or even 512 MB memory limit.

Please ask your hosting if it is possible
- to raise/change the limit with php functions (virtuemart already does this in some cases when needed), but it may not be supported by your hosting
- to raise it generically to something higher like those 128MB

If your hosting blocks any of the core php functions such as ini_set or similar with suhosin.

Some hostings may also encounter problems with creating thumbs as they may not have proper libraries installed or they may not be available to you.

Best Regards,
Stan, RuposTel.com

These aren't concerns as I am the host and the dedicated servers I use are configured to operate Joomla and VM properly, but thank you for your input. Also the sites work fine on 2.0.22a.

Agaton

Quote from: jenkinhill on September 20, 2013, 18:17:33 PM
To check if it is your update procedure make a vanilla install of J2.5.14 in the same server environment and install VM2.0.22d using Joomla's extensions installer. If that works then I guess it points to how you update. I assume you used Joomla's extensions installer for the updates and not the live Akeeba installer?

It is all fine in a fresh install. The update is the problem.

When I first installed 2.0.22b I used the Akeeba Installer first and when that didn't work I installed via extension manager...

Would this be the reason for the problem? Answering my own question I am sure that it won't be as I only used this process on one site and the issue exists with multiple sites that are being upgraded.

Agaton

I have been reading more and more forums about the issue at hand, it seems it is a problem that exists for other users as well...

Can anyone expand on this phrase "template overrides probably need updating with the 2.0.22c security code".... is there a link to explain this?

I have used 2.0.22c default templates and my own overrides and the issue does exist but if there is something to read about this issue it may help me find out the cause.

jenkinhill

Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Agaton

After months of working on a solution and coming up with nothing, it miraculously fixes the problem with the upgrade to 2.0.24c... Nothing has changed in my install the only change is the upgraded version... strange !!