News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

301 redirection from old site (VM 1) to new site (VM 2)

Started by romeo2die, July 11, 2013, 18:48:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

romeo2die

Hi guys,

I recently moved my old joomla 1.5 site (VM1) to a new domain, same server hosting, joomla 2.5 (VM2). I am just wondering if there is a way to redirect every products from my joomla 1.5 (VM1) to my new joomla 2.5 website (VM2)

My old site is better indexed at some search engine, while my new site is not really. For example, if there is someone find my old page on first page of a search engine, when they click it, they will go to my new website (for the same product)

Can you guys please offer me some suggestion, any kind of help is greatly appreciated

Regards,

PRO

do you have SEF links for your old site?

I created this for my site
http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=97293.0

BUT!!! it only works fro NON-sef links to whatever new link you want.

&&&

The code only does for the same domain, it can be changed if you changed domains though

romeo2die

Yes, I have SEF links on both of my web, and my old web is joomla 1.5, and you said the plugin only works on non-SEF and joomla 2.5

Thanks a lot anyway, I appreciate ur help

PRO

I would carefully do this, take time and do it right

joomla 2.5 has a redirect component, have you thought about using that?

vaskern

Sorry for the hijack, just a quick Q: - Does the redirect component work with VM?

PRO

Quote from: vaskern on August 06, 2013, 15:31:36 PM
Sorry for the hijack, just a quick Q: - Does the redirect component work with VM?

the redirect component will redirect ANY link that has a 404

vaskern

Darn, that woulde be most useful but can't get it to work with VM (though it seems to be working with Joomla).
I have an old product-URL that VM nicely redirects to the category and says 404. But if I add it to the redirect manager nothing happens.