News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

duplicating virtuemart store with different domain

Started by ICWater, February 04, 2013, 22:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ICWater

i have a store set up and i want to make a functioning copy of it on the same server just with a different domain. i have multiple companys selling the same products and i just want to copy this site and slap a different logo and domain on it. how would one go about doing this?  ???

jenkinhill

Make a full backup of ther store files & db using Akeeba, then install that backup under the new domain, telling it to use a new database. You can change sitename etc if you need to in Joomla config. 

Plenty of documentation on https://www.akeebabackup.com/

I do this all the time moving development sites to their final domain.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

ICWater

reinhold

Quote from: ICWater on February 04, 2013, 23:46:32 PM
so there's no product info in the database?

Of course there is. But Akeeba backup is a Joomla component to create a backup of your whole joomla (and thus also virtuemart) installation (including the database), and the kickstart script will install it on any domain you want, so you have an exact copy (modulo the different domain name) of the original installation at the new domain...

ICWater

jenkinhill

Yes you make a new database on your server - and enter its name/user/password when installing the Akeeba backup and you new database gets populated with the products etc.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

vladivlad007

I also had this thoughts.
I never tried it, but it may work i think:

1. Copy all your joomla files to another domain.
2. Refer DB connection to the same DB
3. make new design.

this way you manage the products only ni 1 DB and can be selling from many domains.

for joomla part this will for sure work, but for  VM i think you may need to do some modifications.
Also messages sent to users .. i am not sure what domain they will show, where they are sent from.

please let us know how you succeeded or if you found another approach.