Started by freaz, October 18, 2012, 12:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freaz

Hello guys,

we have a problem with our cart/minicart on steel-vintage.com

Joomla Version 2.5.4
Virtuemart Version: 2.0.6

There is the following problem:

If you press "add to cart" button, then there is an iframe popup which shows the name of the product and "continue shopping" and "show cart" buttons.
If you quickly press "show cart" button, then the cart is usually empty. But if you wait until the cart picture is updated (it takes about 5 seconds), then the product is usually in the cart.

Where can I identify the problem and what may cause it? I generally would like to speed up the shop.

Thank you very much for your help!

jenkinhill

The Gavick template you are using is probably best described as "heavy" as it loads a lot of resources on the cart page (although it looks good).

Yslow lists the following as contributing to load speed:
This page has 18 external Javascript scripts. Try combining them into one.
This page has 21 external stylesheets. Try combining them into one.
This page has 10 external background images. Try combining them with CSS sprites.

You can check that the template is responsible for slow loading by switching to the beez template and seeing how fast that runs.

Also check the PHP version on the server. For example 5.3.14 runs a lot faster than 5.3.1 on most servers.

Joomla 2.5.4 has known security issues, so should be updated to 2.5.7. Current version of VirtueMart is 2.0.12b (with 12c soon to be released) so you should consider an update of VM, too.  Try on a backup first.

Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

CrS27

As to add to cart not working, maybe it has something to do with your hosting provider, like jenkinhill said.
Concerning the speed issue, other than dedicated or VPS server, I would recommend to optimise your HTML. Apart from CSS sprites, try minifying your Javascript and CSS, avoid inline CSS, and also you can try enabling compression on your server, but if it's a shared one, might be troublesome to do.