News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Can the search feature be removed

Started by diana8760, July 24, 2012, 15:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diana8760

I am using VirtueMart2 with Joomla 2.5.  I would like to remove the search box from the top of the product pages.  Is this possible?  Could this be accomplished by removing the mod_virtuemart_search/tmpl/default.php file or will I mess something up royally if I do this?

jenkinhill

You must be new to Joomla? Just unpublish the module in Joomla's module manager.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

diana8760

Yes, I am new to Joomla.  I usually code my own sites, but a client has and existing Joomla site that he wants improved so I am teaching myself Joomla.  Thank you for your quick response--when I first read it I said "DUH", but unfortunately, that did not fix my problem.  I unpublished the module, I disabled the plug-in and the search box was still at the top of my page.  It's very frustrating for me when I can see the section I want to remove using firebug, but I don't have access to the actual code.  I solved the problem by finding the CSS that pertained to the divs in question and just added display:none and the search section disappeared.

jenkinhill

Are you sure that was the VM search module? Joomla has a search module too. So (especially in a commercial template) you could have two, or even more search modules.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

diana8760

I'm absolutely positive.  I unpublished  "VM-Search in Shop" in module manager, and disabled "VM-Search, VirtueMart Product" in the plug-in manager.  Once I did this the search function was still at the top of the page.

My Categories are set up with parents and children, for example: 
Fireplaces
     -Wood Fireplaces
        - MFG 1
         -MFG 2
         -MFG 3
   -Gas Fireplaces
        - MFG1
         -MFG2
         -MFG3

When I chose the link for each individual manufacturer I would get a page with all my product thumbnails for that category and the search function was at the top of each of these pages.  I don't know if the location where it was showing up makes any difference at all, just wanted to be thorough.  I'm just happy I could get rid of it using CSS.