News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Download plugin is not working as I expected

Started by patrik60, March 30, 2012, 18:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patrik60

Hello

I just bought this download plugin. Download after purchasing a product is working. But there are some problems:

I'm selling musical arrangements. Customers can choose between physical shipment of scores/music cd and just download of a midifile. I did solve this with child products (As Milbo explaned: "When you want to have the children working as variants of the parent, use the product custom field "Generic Child Variant", use layout position "ontop", add it to your parent, done.") This means that the parent product is a physical product and the child is a download product. Now I have the problem, that I can't add the Download option to a child. It always changes like the parent into "Generic Child Variant" after saving the Download option in the custom fields tab.

May be a solution could be to use the parent as kind of pattern for the children (first child = physical, second child = download). But I don't want to list two articles for one.

A second problem is, that customers have to choose a shipment method for a download product (I did test this with just a parent product without children). In VM 1.1 this step was automatically hidden when buying a download product. Is this not working in VM 2?

Did I miss anything in the manual? Is there any solution I can't find for the moment?

Thanks for your help.

Regards
Patrik

patrik60

I have solved the first problem: When selcting "Overwrite plugin values of the parent" it works.

Remains the the problem with the shipment method.

EDIT: Solution see http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=99740.msg331662#msg331662

interjos

Hi Patbe60,

I also have child products to sell as downloadable products. Only my parent product is shown, in that product there is a drop down list for the customer to choose... they can choose to buy the product in different formats. Every shown format in the drop down is a child product of the parent.
In the last post you gave a solution for the fact of not being able to  make a child product downloadable... : I have solved the first problem: When selecting "Overwrite plugin values of the parent"

and Yes! this worked for me too, thanks! But.... when I do that... my drop down ' forgets all the other child products to show, so.. when the customer chooses one of the formats, the drop down only shows the current format of the child, the customer can't choose (if he changes his mind or something like that) another format anymore.
Do you have that same problem? Perhaps you know a solution for this problem or any other solutions?

thanks very much!

wazowski

I also encountered the dropdown list issues as interjos mentionned. Any one solve this issus so far?

Best regards,

Csabesz

Hello,

the dropdown issue exist in the latest vm update(2.0.24c) to.
"When selecting "Overwrite plugin values of the parent" drop down ' forgets all the other child products to show"
If anyone have sollution for this please help me out.

thanks!

alexxsav

Quote from: Csabesz on December 11, 2013, 09:07:48 AM
Hello,

the dropdown issue exist in the latest vm update(2.0.24c) to.
"When selecting "Overwrite plugin values of the parent" drop down ' forgets all the other child products to show"
If anyone have sollution for this please help me out.

thanks!

I have the same problem. I lost other child in child page. Any sollution?

csho

I have the same problem, i found this that has more info about the problem.
It's more an action that is being made than a bug.

As noted earlier in this section child products are not completely independent of parent products so there are some caveats:

"By defaults child products will have the same custom fields as the parents. If you would like to change the custom fileds available and/or their values you need to tick the "Overwrite plugin values of the parent" checkbox that appears on top of the "Custom Fields" tab of the product properties. There are a couple of things you should know about his:
Selecting this is irreversible - you will need to delete and recreate the product if you wanted to have the custom fields inherited from the parent again.
The "Generic child variant" field will not display the child.  <------
All other products properties can be changed independently
Be careful which product SKU you assign to the child products. We recommend you that the SKU of the child is different to parent's SKU. This way it will be easier for you to distinguish between products."