News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Pricing Insanity - How do I display category prices net of tax

Started by Christopher, January 31, 2014, 14:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher

Hello

J 2.5.17 / VM 2.0.26d and yes, I've dug around on the forums and found dozens of pages of results with partial answers.

The weird and wonderful world of Virtuemart strikes again. Please can anyone give me a straight answer to this question, or should I try taking acid to put my brain into the same state as the developers appear to be sometimes?!

1) All I want to do is display products in a category without tax - in my case, VAT @ 20%.

For the avoidance of doubt and 79 half-answers, here'swhat I want my shop to do:

a) The client clicks on a category and X number of products are displayed
b) Each product should display its price without tax - so, if the net (base price?) of the product is £10.00 then that is what I want to show - nothing else - it currently shows £12.00 (including 20% VAT) or nothing, depending on what I have tried clicking/selecting so far.
c) When you click on a product to order it, the price is STILL shown net of taxes - ie, £10.00 and NOT £12.00
d) When you add the product to the cart and visit the checkout, the NET prices are totalled and the tax (VAT) is added

I understand about shopper groups and have 'Anonymous' and '-Default-' shopper groups. I also understand that the developers may need to drop more acid before being able to answer Point (d) above.

Attached is a screenshot of the "Show Following Prices" interface.

For the love of [Insert Deity Here] will someone please tell me which checkboxes need to be checked and which checkboxes need to be unchecked and whether I apply these changes within the 'Vm/Configuration/Pricing tab, the "Anonymous" shopper group, the "-Default-" shopper group, all three or a combination of the above.

Do I need to stand on one leg, or wear purple underpants while changing the settings? Would it help if I changed the language settings to Aramaic? Do I need to say three "Hail Marys" and stick my index finger in my left ear while pressing 'Save'?

Does anyone out there have a straight answer? Please?

Thanks in advance

[attachment cleanup by admin]
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand binary and those who don't

jenkinhill

Pretty simple. Install Russian language, immediately followed by Spanish language. Check the level of oil in your car, then remove both new langages. Next go to your Tax & Calculation Rule and change the Type of Arithmetic Operation to Tax per bill.

If necessary you can omit the language changes before setting the tax rule, but an oil check is essential........
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

Christopher

Thank you, Jenkinhill

Half way there - I do want the VAT to be displayed in the shopping basket/checkout - it's not showing there now:

www.safetyposters365.co.uk/index.php

... the '/index.php' bit is essential to avoid a re-direct to the existing live site

Thanks in advance

t68

Love to se where this thread is going. I'm also struggling to grasp the wonders of the pricing settings. Especially with that present wonky Swedish translation.

What was that expression again...  trial and error?

Skickat från min HTC One via Tapatalk

jenkinhill

@Christopher looks like you may be using a template override for the checkout?  Attachment is how the tax shows in the default template in VM2.0.26d

[attachment cleanup by admin]
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

Christopher

OK.... I think I've found an answer to displaying the tax (In my case, VAT @ 20%) as a separate item at the Checkout Page,  - please see this message:

https://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=105673.msg354133#msg354133

...Written by esixtyone:

"OK, so setting up another tax rule the applies to the -anonymous- shopper group (and leaving the country blank) worked for me."

... I've just made this change and finally... FINALLY, I can see the tax as a separate item in the checkout. I will continue to test and report back any more issues I discover.

No doubt on the next page in the checkout process, or following login/registration, VM will display a three-legged purple giraffe on Tuesday afternoons, but I guess that will be for another forum post. Why on earth do the VM development team exhibit such an obtuse attitude to what should be a basic - and essential - setting/configuration for 90% of all e-commerce systems their software is used ??.

TFI Friday... I'm going to open a beer :)