News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Upgrade to 2.0.2 loses the VM link in admin

Started by Bruce Morgan, February 25, 2012, 22:38:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce Morgan

This is more of a nuisance than anything but I have updated VM 2.0.x multiple times on my test site installed over J2.5.1.  On every occasion I have lost the menu item under components in the admin anel and I have to add it back manually.  The menu for VM AIO remains each time but it does nothing.  Is this a VM bug or is it something unique to my test installation?  Many others have reported this issue and I thoug it would be fixed by now.

Bruce

jenkinhill

On all the tesing of versions that I have done not once have I lost the admin menu item. Updates installed always using the Joomla Extension manager, with no uninstall of the previous version.

I recently had two people with missing admin menu component links, solved in one case by simple re-install and in the other the link appeared after the fourth re-install. They were both on GoDaddy servers so I'm not sure if using overloaded servers with VM2 is a good idea, but in any case I advised them to use a better hosting service.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

Bruce Morgan

I am not with go daddy.  I did use the extension manager to do the updates in each case.  This is only a test site so it is not important now.  Now that the 2.0.2 id offcial i did use the version check and it confoirms that I am using the latest version.

Bruce

digimate

I also lost the link again within Components to Virtuemart after updating from 2.0.1.N

Joomla 2.5.1
Virtuemart 2.0.2

Re-installing Virtuemart didn't solve this problem.

No errors noticed.

evano666

I also lost the menu when doing an upgrade from 2.0 to 2.0.2

I have tried multiple re-installs however this does not restore the menu link...

Bruce Morgan how did you add it back in manually?

thanks

evano

Bruce Morgan

Yes I have added it back manually half a dozen times.  The SQL syntax may be found in post #95542.  Just be sure to modify the command to include the proper dababase prefix as well as the menu number.  If you are confused about the "next avaiable number" do a sort by "id" ansd select a number that is not in use or one greater than the highest number.

Bruce

Milbo

Which language do you use? maybe it is connected to it. In case you do not use english, take a look on the english virtuemart.sys language file and compare it.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Milbo

It is really very strange, I think at least 10 people installed during the testphase virtuemart quite often on different versions and we thought we finally solved it. BUT it is also just a joomla problem for me. It is just not robust written.

Our method is atm to delete the link in j1.6+ always and then to add it again. When you have already two times an entry for it in the table, then we delete only one row, and joomla does not check for this.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

evano666

if it helps at all i am using a brand new version of Joomla 2.5.1, no DB upgrades or anything like that, just a straight up fresh install...then doing a fresh install of VM 2.0.2 on top of that...

i had the same issue when i did an in place upgrade of VM 2.0 to 2.0.2 on the same install base...had no issues with the menu entry on VM 2.0 on a fresh install...

Milbo

evano666

Database Version    5.1.56-log
Database Collation    utf8_general_ci
PHP Version    5.3.6
Web Server    Apache/2.2.21 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.21 OpenSSL/1.0.0-fips mod_bwlimited/1.4 PHP/5.3.6
WebServer to PHP Interface    apache2handler
Joomla! Version    Joomla! 2.5.1 Stable [ Ember ] 2-Feb-2012 14:00 GMT
Joomla! Platform Version    Joomla Platform 11.4.0 Stable [ Brian Kernighan ] 03-Jan-2012 00:00 GMT

Milbo

samstaley

I discovered that the installation puts the wrong component_id in the database so the menu item does not display since it cannot find the component info.

If you go to Extension->Manager then click the Manage tab and search for 'Virtuemart' you can find its Component ID.

Compare this id to the value in the 'component_id' field in the '[your table prefix]_menu' table in the Joomla DB. Update the value in the DB with the correct Component ID from the Joomla backend and you should have the Virturmart link back in the admin Menu.

ocean1

I also lost my virtuemart menu link in the backend after one of the last updates
I realy don't now when but I lost it also.

I was able to recover it by changing the component-id in the SQL table
go to prefix_menu
find virtuemart
change the ID in 10007

also check http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=95542.0

So jenkinhill it is possible
Quote from: jenkinhill on February 25, 2012, 23:47:55 PM
On all the tesing of versions that I have done not once have I lost the admin menu item.