News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Import Products from CSV or txt (I need a PRO)Help me

Started by nemmy, June 28, 2011, 22:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nemmy

Hello and sorry about my language!
I need a pro to help me in that project, and if he is good then ill give him more jobs because i have more eshops that needs customization.
---------------------------------
What my customer want?
---------------------------------
He want a tool to insert new products or update the existings into the SQL, from a txt file or CSV.
Every time that he will upload a CSV, that CSV will contain ALL the products of his store (about 2.000-3.000 products).
SO during the upload of the CSV:
- if a product are not exist into the SQL, then CREATE them.
- if a product is already in the SQL and some fields are different then UPDATE them.

--------------------------------
Insert a new category
compare the category by name (not id) and if a category from the csv is not into the SQL then CREATE THAT NEW category.

problem with the images
the CSV will contains the basic fields of the product.
+ 1 field that reffers to the path of the image of the product.
but here is the problem, that image path is reffers to the hard disk of he pc (D:/images/eshop/product.jpg).
how can we convert that and insert it into the SQL like path of the site? (product.jpg, and in the thumbs field thumbs/product.jpg)

iam uploading a testing file like this one that we want to import.

please help me, not for free... :)

[attachment cleanup by admin]

nemmy

i have already paid 3 extension like this one and they didnt do my job.
I cant spend more money in extension that i can test them first!

blans

Reading your request fastly we do all that with CSV Improved. But I can already tell you that this will still be a big job for your client to do himself if he's not a Joomla handy person. Also CSV uploads are a bit dangerous because you can easily wipe out a lot of data in one upload. So back-up! is my best advice.

For the uploading of the pictures there is no easy fast way as I know of. Just give all your pictures good SEO friendly names and make the thumbs yourself too (Irfanview) then upload them all with FTP. In your CSV you give them the correct name in the fields. That is a hell of a job but it will come back to your client. Having bliddyspam-predator-soccershoes.jpg instead of 2777465.jpg pays off!!!

The good thing about CSV is that you can do bulk rename actions with Excel (I prefer OpenOffice for CSV). But let me warn you... This is going to take time.  :)

Good luck,

Blans
Multilingual VM Webshop
Joomla 1.5.26
VM 1.1.9
Joomfish 2.1.7
Artio JoomSEF 3.8.2
CSVi VM 3.8.1

VM2 has the power of Magento and the usability of Opencart. I just can't get it to do what I managed to do with VM1 for so long...