Suggestion needed on how to use categories, products and items.

Started by Ton Machielsen, December 05, 2004, 23:04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ton Machielsen

Hi all!

Soeren, great tool. Too bad you don't get too much support from your users in your development.

I want to use mambo-phpshop to build a catalog for selling used cars. I am playing a bit with categories, products and items and i cannot get it right. Maybe i need some help.

If i want to sell Audi's, Mercedeses and Rovers (e.g. category is Audi), i can create categories for those brands. Then i can create products for every car that i sell (e.g. Product is Audi A4 Avant TDI). But what do i create as items?

I can create a category (what do i call it, \"cars\"?), a product Audi and items for every Audi i sell. But what do i do with the price of the Audi's? All Audi's have a different price. Ok. product price is optional according to the documentation, so i could leave that out. Another problem is that i have to assign products to categories and in this setup i should assign items to categories.

I think i need a bit of advice here.

Thanks,

Ton.

Post edited by: toontje, at: 2004/12/05 23:07

Post edited by: toontje, at: 2004/12/05 23:25

Ton Machielsen

Ok, what i have so far is:

Categories: Luxury cars
Product: Audi
Attribute: A4
Item: Audi A4 Avant 2.5 TDI

Now i have to get the catalog on the right position on the screen. I have no idea what the area below the titlebar (the main screen) is called.

Ton.

Soeren

Hello,
please separate both issues: The Style (right align) is one point, the Items are another one.

Please don't use A4 as attribute, but take \"Model\".
Now you can assign different models (each being an Item) to the Parent Product.
Step 1: Parent Product
* Audi (Category \"Cars/Audi\" )

Step 2: Items
* Item 1: Attribute \"Model\": A4 2.5 TDI
* Item 2: Attribute \"Model\": A4 2.2
* Item 3: Attribute \"Model\": A6 3.3 TDI

Each one of those items has it's own price, description and images, but is assigned to the category of the Parent Product.

For right align: Please upload an image of your page...

ciao, soeren
The future of eCommerce: VirtueMart & Joomla!
http://virtuemart.net

Ton Machielsen

Ok. I will try to figure this catalog/product/item thing out.

The second item is not about right align, but i just cannot get the catalog on the screen.

I added the catalog component to the top menu of the standard Mambo 4.5.1 template. I published the module, but i don't know where to put it on the screen so that it shows up.
I understand that top, banner,left and right are not the correct places, but where do i have to put the module then?
I think i just have the problem that i don't know where are user1, 2,  3 and 4, pathway, etc.

I know it's something simple that has nothing to do with the shop but everything with Mambo itself.

Ton.

Ton Machielsen

Ok, so this is what i've done and i feel OK with it:

One category called Our cars
Products per brand (Audi, Mercedes)
Items per model.

Added the module to the left menu without the title and it looks ok. There is only a little arrow between the little square and the text on the button, but i can live with that.

You can see the preliminary result on http://d588454.u47.fabelhosting.com/index.php

Thanks for the help,

Ton.

Francisco Echauri

OK I understand this example but I need other similar thing:

(Sorry, my english is too bad)

I'm building a car-store site, and I need a form to load the cars in the catalog, simply and easy to use, with input fields to capture the car attributes like:

(PHOTO)
> Category: CARS
   > Product: AUDI
      > Model: A3
      > Year: 2004
      > Doors: 2
      > Color: RED
      > Engine: V8
      > Aditional Equipment: DVD player and TV 7\"

and more custom attributes.

My question is: How can I customize the other extra fields to capture my products (cars) ?
And: What I have to do for view this new captured fields in the page for my clients?

Thanks to everyone and HELP ME PLEASE !!!

Soeren

Hello,
I'm sorry - but mambo-phpShop currently doesn't support \"Product Types\" - templatable products with custom fields for each \"Type\". This is a future feature for the To-Do-List.
You will have to add this attributes to the text of the Product Descrition.

ciao, Soeren
The future of eCommerce: VirtueMart & Joomla!
http://virtuemart.net