News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Next release?

Started by hemona, March 23, 2004, 19:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemona

Hi Soren,
Thanks for all your efforts. I am trying to find out how I could make use of some elements of the shop in an production environment. I is not far off... I think that like me a number of people are wondering the following questions:
- 1/ Could you please let us know when is the next release of the shop due?
- 2/ What will be the new features released in the next release?
- 3/ When do you think that the shop will be ready to production? (In my opinion the most important thing is to remove the "Payment Information" step in the checkout workflow). All the rest can be either managed with workarounds or easily modified in the code).  

Regards,
Antoine

Soeren

Hello,

that's a good question.
1. The next release will be next week. This version will be a stable one.
2. For security reasons i will modify the mambo - phpshop authentication interface. A not logged in user gets demo permissions. That's not much, but allows to execute some functions which have demo permissions by default....
Other changes are cosmetic - some small bug fixes.
(The Payment Selection step may be not useful for you, but for others. I'll think we keep this step.)
3. production-ready will be reached with stable status.
But remember: this app's security hasn't been tested enough. Search for potential security leaks in this phpShop version. If you find any way to make this app more secure, PLEASE post it in this forum or contact me.

ciao, soeren
The future of eCommerce: VirtueMart & Joomla!
http://virtuemart.net

hemona

Hi Soren,
Thanks for you feedback.

With regards to the payment step in the checkout process, there might be something that I do not understand. The payment screen shows that we can input the credit card number and the expiry date but I am not sure what is done with this details afterward as eventually to pay the order the customer needs to fill a paypal form. This is the reason why I beleive that one of these two steps is redundant (but I might be wrong). Moreover I doubt that the majority of the customers will be willing to input the credit cards details in a none secured (i.e. none Paypal branded and none https) environment.

More questions then: :)
1/ Why is the checkout process proposing a phpshop payment then a Paypal payment at the end of the checkout process. If there any kind of links in between these two steps?
2/ Could you please shed light on what is done with these credit card details that are input in the phpshop payment step?
3/ Would it be possible to make the phpshop payment step optional. If not could you please let us know how we could remove the phpshop payment step from the checkout workflow?

Many thanks for your support.

Regards,
Antoine

Soeren

Hello,

QuoteMoreover I doubt that the majority of the customers will be
willing to input the credit cards details in a none secured (i.e. none
Paypal branded and none https) environment.

Your shop is only "unsecure", thus non-https if you have no Secure Server / no ssl-certificate. But if you have, just change SECUREURL to https://mambolivesite and the whole checkout process is via https!

Quote1/ Why is the checkout process proposing a phpshop payment then a
Paypal payment at the end of the checkout process. If there any kind of
links in between these two steps?

The Paypal button is optional!! Disable it in the configuration panel. It's for those, who add a payment method called "Paypal" - "adress only". If the customer takes this one in the payment select step, he can then quickly go to paypal and pay. There are only those payment methods you give. If you disable PayPal, fine. The customer won't see anything regarding PayPal on the Thankyou page.

Quote2/ Could you please shed light on what is done with these credit card
details that are input in the phpshop payment step?

The credit card details are stored in the databse - securely encoded with the ENCODE_KEY from the configuration panel. You as the store owner can see the credit card details in the Mambo backend phpshop admin. So you can get the money from your bank by using the credit card details.
The customer does only see the last 4 digits of his credit card number in the order view.

Quote3/ Would it be possible to make the phpshop payment step optional. If
not could you please let us know how we could remove the phpshop
payment step from the checkout workflow?

Of course is this possible. Just go to checkout.index.php and change the corresponding lines to this:

EDIT: (SimpleBoard sucks)
Just add a line with (change to html standards)
input type = hidden name = payment_method_id value = YOUR PAYMENT METHOD ID!!!

in the section with
elseif ($checkout_this_step == CHECK_OUT_GET_SHIPPING_METHOD) {

Now go to ps_checkout.php and change process() that way:

case CHECK_OUT_GET_SHIPPING_METHOD:

// The User has choosen a Shipping method
           if (!$this->validate_shipping_method($d)) {
             return false;
           }
           $d["checkout_this_step"] = CHECK_OUT_GET_FINAL_CONFIRMATION;
           $checkout_this_step = CHECK_OUT_GET_FINAL_CONFIRMATION;
           break;

Tell me if it doesn't work.

bye, soeren

reem jacob

QuoteThe credit card details are stored in the databse - securely encoded
with the ENCODE_KEY from the configuration panel. You as the store
owner can see the credit card details in the Mambo backend phpshop
admin. So you can get the money from your bank by using the credit card
details.
The customer does only see the last 4 digits of his credit card number
in the order view.

i am trying for the last two days to see the credit card numbers with no success.
i have installed the v1.0 RC3 on a mos1.0.5 and been doing some testing and debuging with it.

of course, thank you for all the hard work, and i am amazed by all the effort you put in to it.

first of all, the credit card number....   i have tried all the payment methods posible (with and without checking the "is cc?") with no success. all i get in the admin backend is the name of the method and a fauls date. there are two fields which are empty  "Account Name" & "Account Number"  (did you meen " CC owner Name" & "CC Number" ?).
so, there is something i must be doing wrong !!!  :(

is it permissions? maybe i am in the demo permissions? but i have checked, and i log into the backend office of MOS as the Superadministrator and in the phpShop i have added the admin as admin user.

there are othere things i like to mention, since it will be a Stable version next.
are you aware that when a costumer login the MOS website and then using the phpShop module, trying to buy anything, it through him out, empty the cart and tell him that he does not have enough permission. when he tries again and log inusing the phpShop login prosses, only then it works. (when i tried to add an address for delivery duering the checkout proccess, it got out of control....)
same thing happen in the administrator backend. after logging in and and going to see on of the pages of phpShop you are throughn out of the backend office andasked to login again. after that it's ok.

should i continiue? am i helpful? or am i just talking to much.....

well, just a bit more....

i couldent figure out the "bank account" thing, maybe it is to give people back there money?! anlight me, please

i tried my best to add another shipping method with no success, i did everything by the book, twise. nop. th DHL stood still as the only method. and in the order there is no information on the shipping method, just how much it costs.

last thing, I am from Israle, and we speak in hebrew. but it is not enough that we are a small country and no one else besides us speaks Hebrew, we also write from right to left. so in order to customize the shop i need to re-write all the "align=right/left/center" in all the files for each version. as a sugestion, please try to use more the css style option attached to the code.
maybe something like a class for .right { align;right; }...............

thanx a boundle   B)

Re'em Jacob

Soeren

Hello Jacob,

1. The credit card number not displaying:

that's a bug in a function of phpShop for Mambo. I've fixed that. Please be patient for the stable version coming soon.

2. your session and login problems with no permissions / empty cart

This seems to be related to the "empty cart" problem which will too be solved in the stable version. I can't exactly tell you, if your specific problems will be gone then....

3. Bank Account
is a payment method where the people give YOU their bank account data and then YOU can GET the money from their bank account by telling the shopper's bank that you are allowed to get the money. Works well in germany.

4. Add a carrier
This is one of the simplest forms in phpShop. If you couldn't add anything it's maybe a problem with your browser/server or whatever. I've tested the functions and they all worked properly to me and Marco.

5. Add a shipping rate
see point 4.

6. align < - > CSS
Please understand, but I will not change all align=left/center/right to css. That would be a little bit too much....

ciao, soeren

reem jacob

thanx for replying to all of my questions.

i think i can help you with the 6 one, if you pass to me all the files before you go on to stable, i can do it (i am doing it anyway for my self)

only if you like me to help.....

thanx again

maddog

Soeren, I noticed you said you had the bug fixed so that admin can see the card info of the people who submit orders. Could you please tell me as usual in detail what file, where to put it and the exact code, :) so that I can see the card info somehow to manually process. Also, this site will be getting a security certificate isntalled probably this weekend. COuld you please explain where I am suppose to make the change to something that tells the system to go to https:. In other words once the cert is installed what all do I have to do to make it live and get the actual card info. BTY once this guys project is completed I will make sure I instal the new VM on another site and take my time and learn it top to bottom so that I can continue to use VM in the future instead of phpshop. I am switching if anything because your help and knowledge is second to none. I will also make sure you guys get some traffic from some of my sites. If there is any certain part of your project you need traffic for, let me know and I will do everything in my power to help you out. It's about time I do something for you guys :).
PS. I have to go on a business trip and will not be back online for about 3-4 hours, if you need a reply for something sorry I will get back to you as soon as possible. The site was www.pharmacyorders.ca, not that you did not remember by now :)
Thanks
Maddog