News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Need help with a unique situation

Started by dannette, February 24, 2023, 21:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannette

We are a little behind on our Joomla 4 updates waiting on some extension updates. In December, I cloned our Joomla 3.10.11 site (currently running Virtuemart 4.0.6) and updated to Joomla 4 (currently 4.2.8) running Virtuemart 4.0.12. In the meantime, there have been orders and new products on the Joomla 3 site. Is it safe to download all the Virtuemart tables from the Joomla 3 site and update all the Joomla 4 site tables? Has anyone else had this issue? Any other suggestions? We are hoping to go live with the new site within the next 2 weeks.

Jörgen

Take a backup of the new site and transfer the data from the old site. Test and you will see if anything gives you any trouble.

Do this before going live.

Jörgen @ Kreativ Fotografi
Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x
Olympiantheme Hera (customized)
This reflects current status when viewing old post.

Jumbo!

Quote from: dannette on February 24, 2023, 21:49:19 PM
We are a little behind on our Joomla 4 updates waiting on some extension updates. In December, I cloned our Joomla 3.10.11 site (currently running Virtuemart 4.0.6) and updated to Joomla 4 (currently 4.2.8) running Virtuemart 4.0.12. In the meantime, there have been orders and new products on the Joomla 3 site. Is it safe to download all the Virtuemart tables from the Joomla 3 site and update all the Joomla 4 site tables? Has anyone else had this issue? Any other suggestions? We are hoping to go live with the new site within the next 2 weeks.

Yes, you can safely copy the data from VirtueMart 4.0.6 tables to VirtueMart 4.0.12 tables, but you should not replace the database tables themselves. Export only the data and import it in the Joomla 4 tables. There have been structural changes in the database tables that should not be changed while importing the data.

And yes, you must back up the new database before doing the imports in case you break something.

dannette

Got it. Should I truncate all the before importing the info or should I look at the db table by table and update by importing just the new stuff? I hate being in this mess but ...

Jumbo!

Yes, truncating the tables before importing the data would be best to avoid duplicate primary key errors.