News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Fedex Module? Why not?

Started by antcomp, January 09, 2006, 07:38:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

antcomp

I'm just wondering, why hasn't a functioning shipping module been developed for use with Fedex? What is required for this to happen? is it a matter of no intrest or time, or lack of resources (Fedex has an API)? We have a UPS, DHL, USPS, and Canada Post, couldn't we take one of these and simply replace the curent cod with the Fedex API? The one issue I foud was that before you can deploy anything using a fedex API you must submit a working script to Fedex to obtain a meeter number. This is done on a case by case basis, the meter code could be added from the administration panel but a PHP file would need to be sent for fedex for testing that could run without mambo. I have the API and several other free scripts for other carts (i.e. OSCommerce) that are open source to work off of.

Soeren

Hello,

I want to finish the FedEx shipping module for VirtueMart now.

I just did not receive an account from FedEx. Their homepage is pure HORROR.  It's not clear where to get an account and why I should need a customer number that is sent to me via mail (???).

Could someone please send me information about his/her FedEx account? I need an account which is allowed to use the online services (xml, rate service, ... ).

Thanks,
soeren
The future of eCommerce: VirtueMart & Joomla!
http://virtuemart.net

webgobe

Hi, Soeren, I have a client who want the FedEx module and he had allready an account...
What you say?
Denes
Like a fine wine... Good from the start and getting better over time.

Soeren

Please send me a PM with the details if your client doesn't mind.
I won't cause any trouble, but I need access to the FedEx API servers...

Thanks in advice

webgobe

I will put you in direct conmtact, the AIM id for him is  scott4335, will be online today for a hour, but if not, thursday surely will be able to chat with you on this subject, he's opened for this!
Best regards!
Denes

Soeren

The web account number is not enough and I can't access the Test Server with it.
1. I need a testing account for FedEx.
2. I don't want / can't get an own account from FedEx.
3. I need some documentation, but the documentation on their site is worth a laughter.

Can someone help me out please?

Thanks-
soeren

gregr

Soeren, I think I can help you out. My acct # goes live in 12 hours on their test servers. I'll email you everything I got from them, including links to sample code. Sound good?

rightminddesigns

Soeren, if you are still in need, I have my account information that you are welcome to use. ;D

antcomp

I just looked and you may not need an account number, Fedex Zipzones, for OScommerce went arround it by haveing the user get their zone chart from fedex.com and copy the data into text file. the code is then customized by way of a few lines of code  that listed the various fedex services and allowed the user to comment out any service the user did not want to offer telling the script to ignore the rates for that service. This may be the best route to go, it is completely independant of the fedex servers, meaning that if the fedex rate server is down your shopping cart cannot opperate correctly, the down side is that it can only process domestic orders. The issue of only working in the US isn't a huge problem as they only do Domestic shipping in the US and Canada so the only consideration is the Canadian rates (this could be soved by changing the CSV rate files). This allows for easy changes to allow for use of certain couriers for certain areas (i.e other than Fedex)

This could really simplify the process for you soeren, most of it is already in Php and open source. If you do need permission I'm sure the author would be happy to allow you to do it/

the code is attached and can also be found at:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,490

If you need more info PM me.

[attachment cleanup by admin]

antcomp

I just looked at the Fedex.com info on their API's. The Zipzones approach is the only one possible with Virtumart. According to Fedex, the API code only works with Java, C/C++, Microsoft Visual Basic, VBScript, and JavaScript. You can get arround this, but that means coding everything from the ground up and not using their API or any of their codes. There are some more downsides to this approach other then what I mentioned though, mainly returns (the fedex server can process them automaticaly, we'd have to do them manually) and every time the rates go up the rate tables will need to be redone. If it's only the fuel surcharge, this could be done in the admi panel by entering in the field.

gregr

antcomp, you are correct. That's why one would not use the Fedex Ship Manager API. Instead, you would use the XML tools provided in FedEx Ship Manager Direct. I'm not going to explain all the differences, but bottom line, you don't need a .DLL or local "FedEx code" to connect with FedEx.

You can find both of these tools listed at:
http://www.fedex.com/us/solutions/wis/index.html/

Soeren

Hello,

I have finished a first working version of the FedEx shipping module for VirtueMart (which should also run on mambo-phpShop!).
You can find it in the attachment. Installation instructions can be found inside.
Currently the class fetches the shipping rates & quotes from FedEx and lists them just like all the other shipping modules.

Please let me know any bugs.
We need a maintainer for this class! I can't and don't want to develop this class further, because I don't have a FedEx account (and I really can't maintain all the shipping and payment classes).

So please help us...

ciao, Soeren

[attachment cleanup by admin]

webgobe

Thanks, Soeren, you will have a fast feedback on this one!
Denes

rightminddesigns

Quote from: Soeren on January 27, 2006, 17:44:26 PM
We need a maintainer for this class! I can't and don't want to develop this class further, because I don't have a FedEx account (and I really can't maintain all the shipping and payment classes).

So please help us...

ciao, Soeren
What would  be involved? I may be able to help.

webgobe

The module is working, there are some small issues - I solved for myself, but for inclusion in VirtueMar these need to be addressed:
1. In VM lang file must be added the following tokens:
FEDEX_ACCOUNT_NUMBER
FEDEX_METER_NUMBER
FEDEX_URI

2. Also in Shipping Carrier selection screen during the checkout the carrier name does not displays, but in the rest of the pages is present (Order confirmation page, e-mail etc.

Thanks for the great piece!
You can see it live here: http://www.tofutorch.com/index.php