News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Combining digital and 'real' products

Started by Hawker, April 20, 2019, 16:39:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawker

With e.g. the 'Shipment for Virtual Products' plugin, is it possible to combine real and virtual products into a single product?
- For example to sell a downloadable PDF and a hard copy of a book as the same, bundled product.  ???
Thanks in advance for your advice guys.
VM v. 3.4.2
Joomla v. 3.9.5
PHP v. 7.2.1

Studio 42

Of course, the plugin only add the ability to download file(s).
You have perhaps to add a specific order statut when the file is downloadable, but nothing hard to do.

Hawker

Merci Studio 42.
How do I 'add a specific order statut' using VM3's interface, to make a saleable item comprise both a digital download and a sent product?
I am not a programmer, but have learned to use the VM3 interface as it is.

Thanks to all for their advice at this questions board.  :)
VM v. 3.4.2
Joomla v. 3.9.5
PHP v. 7.2.1

StefanSTS

My easy approach would be to have three products.

1. hardcopy
2. downloadable
3. combination of the two.

So product 2. and 3. use the download plugin.
Product 3 is just called: Bundle of hardcopy and downloadable! You just have made a combined product by using language.

No tweaks necessary, you can display the other two products in product details as related products, so all is visible in one view, if you want to sell separately too.

Regards
Stefan
--
Stefan Schumacher
www.jooglies.com - VirtueMart Invoice Layouts

Please use only stable versions with even numbers for your live shop! Use Alpha versions only if you know what risk you are taking.

Hawker

Thanks Stefan. Yes: this would be 'three products', but still confused though...

1. The download plugin does not collect customer address (because it doesn't need to, it's designed for downloads).2. I'm not sure what you mean by 'by using language' - do you mean programming code, or just text of product description?3. How can the download plugin be used to sell hardcopies?
Thank for your advice guys.  ???
VM v. 3.4.2
Joomla v. 3.9.5
PHP v. 7.2.1

StefanSTS

Hi Hawker,

a little more detailed.

Product 1: "Moby Dick - Hardcopy"
Product 2: "Moby Dick - E-book" -> custom field download plugin
Product 3: "Moby Dick - Hardcopy and E-book bundle" -> same custom field via download plugin.

1. Customer chooses Product 1, goes to Checkout, pays, you send the product via courier.
2. Customer chooses Product 2, goes to Checkout, pays, he gets a download link for the E-book via download plugin.
3. Customer chooses Product 3, goes to Checkout, pays, you sen the hardcopy, he get's the download link. 1 + 2.

The download plugin does not collect the customer address, the checkout process does. You need a billing address for your invoice.

With languge I mean the description of the product or the product name. The product is what the name says.
Moby Dick Hardcopy, Mobi Dick E-book, Mobi Dick - Harcopy E-book bundle, Mobi Dick newsletter subscription, Mobi Dick Haircut.

I hope that was easier to understand.

Regards
Stefan
--
Stefan Schumacher
www.jooglies.com - VirtueMart Invoice Layouts

Please use only stable versions with even numbers for your live shop! Use Alpha versions only if you know what risk you are taking.

Hawker

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question StefanSTS.
That's the key thing then: checkout process collects customer address for invoice.
Problem solved. You're a star! Thank you  ;D .
VM v. 3.4.2
Joomla v. 3.9.5
PHP v. 7.2.1