News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Key Folder not being created in Safe Path

Started by Melch777, February 28, 2016, 19:44:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melch777

Hi,
      I'm using Virtuemart 3.0.8 and Joomla 3.4.3. I am trying to setup the Safe Path to my folder that I created in my root directory on my hosting account I have with my hosting provider. I have all my files synchronized to Virtuemart and also was able to get the invoices folder created through the Safe Path. However, the key folder is not being created. I'm getting the following error message," alterColumns alterKey not finished, please rise execution time and update tables again

compareUpdateTable alterKey not finished, please rise execution time and update tables again". For some reason Virtuemart is not able to created the key for the Safe Path, it just endlessly runs and goes nowhere.

I contacted my hosting provider about it and have a feeling it might be on there end.

I was wondering if anyone who knows Virtuemart good might get a few lightbulbs going off by reading my post. Thanks for any help

jenkinhill

The error message is not related to setting the safe path.

The "compareUpdateTable alterKey not finished" error has been reported as a regular issue with shared Hostgator servers. Are you using Hostgator?

For information on the error see the following:
http://docs.virtuemart.net/manual/general-concepts/218-installation-updating.html
http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=131568.msg453922#msg453922
http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=132261.msg457242#msg457242
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

Melch777

No, I'm using ipower.com and I'm pretty sure it has something to do with them. Thanks for the links

jenkinhill

Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

Melch777

Yes, I just emailed them and they got back to me but I'm thinking of changing hosting providers.

I'm pretty sure that they outsource all their tech work to India, so I don't know if they have any in-house tech people that are up on subjects like this. The guy I talked to, didn't seem to know anything at all about Virtuemart, just about the error I told him about and that he said he couldn't duplicate it.

I looked at the list of providers recommended by Vitruemart and was thinking of changing to one of them. Can you recommend a hosting provider that is current with all the changes that take place with Virtuemart,

I just looked at that list you provided and everyone there is slamming ipower. I havn't had that many problems with them but a few issues like this one with Virtumart over the past few months.

Thanks for your help Jenkin!

jenkinhill

The host does not have to be "current with all the changes that take place with Virtuemart" they just have to be reliable, keep servers secure and up to date, provide the PHP/MySQL resources that modern site software needs and have great support.  I have used www.unitedhosting.co.uk for over 10 years now with no issues (and I have a lot of Joomla sites). They have servers in the UK and the US and their support replies to any queries usually within a couple of minutes 24/7 and are extremely helpful - they will even move entire customer sites from another host to their servers. Others may suggest somwhere like Bluehost or CloudAccess.net   
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Melch777

I was thinking of siteground but if you've had such good success with them. I just looked at their site, what's "performance disk space" mean on their site. I can't find how much storage space you get?. I'm looking at their gold plan and it says 1,000MB for performance space

jenkinhill

Performance disk space is marketing speak by United Hosting which they introduced new very high spec servers (last year I think) which showed a measurable increase in site speed. They keep the speed up by never overloading a server, unlike the "pile em high and sell em cheap" host you currently use. With that plan you get 1Gb (1,000Mb) disk space. I usually reckon that the average Joomla/VM site can manage easily on 500Mb.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Jörgen

Hello,

Ehrrrm, I think You have the numbers a bit confused. I don´t think You find a normal host that just gives 1 GB of space. I use approx 5GB for my small shop. Siteground starts at 10 GB space.

regards

Jörgen @ Kreativ Fotografi
Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x
Olympiantheme Hera (customized)
This reflects current status when viewing old post.

Melch777

Thanks, but that's not enough disk space. I get 15GB on ipower and I need at least a couple of gigs for what I'm doing. I have about 3 gbs of audio files that I sell with Virtuemart, so I wouldn't be able to do it. I guess I'm stuck with ipower. :'(
I appreciate your help. Thanks

Melch777

Quote from: Jörgen on February 29, 2016, 17:44:04 PM
Hello,

Ehrrrm, I think You have the numbers a bit confused. I don´t think You find a normal host that just gives 1 GB of space. I use approx 5GB for my small shop. Siteground starts at 10 GB space.

regards

Yeah, that does seem a bit low for disk space

Melch777

Quote from: Jörgen on February 29, 2016, 17:44:04 PM
Hello,

regards

How has siteground been with using Virtuemart? Have you had any problems since being with them?

Jörgen

Hello Melch777

I have a Gogeek account, right now 30 GB of space. The reason for choosing Siteground was speed, not size. As I said I only use around 5 GB of space including email. I have used On.com for seven year with good experience. But the speed was not enough for VM3. In the mean time One.com has changed and now offer higher speed, but I have switched and am satisfied with Siteground. They give excellent support and have 24/7 chat support. Siteground even helped me moving my old site in minutes. Their cpanel offers a lot of possibilities, but what I like the most is the staging. In a couple of minutes You can get a password protected working copy of You site. Nice and very useful for testing upgrades and template changes. Staging is included with Gogeek and also with their more exclusive accounts.

I You like to see my site please go ahead. This is a live site. I am working on a template change for the whole site. Right now I use a JoomlaXTC template, which was not the best choice. The site is in Swedish.

http://cms.kreativfotografi.se

regards

Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x
Olympiantheme Hera (customized)
This reflects current status when viewing old post.

Melch777

Quote from: Jörgen on February 29, 2016, 19:17:48 PM
Hello Melch777

I have a Gogeek account, right now 30 GB of space. The reason for choosing Siteground was speed, not size. As I said I only use around 5 GB of space including email. I have used On.com for seven year with good experience. But the speed was not enough for VM3. In the mean time One.com has changed and now offer higher speed, but I have switched and am satisfied with Siteground. They give excellent support and have 24/7 chat support. Siteground even helped me moving my old site in minutes. Their cpanel offers a lot of possibilities, but what I like the most is the staging. In a couple of minutes You can get a password protected working copy of You site. Nice and very useful for testing upgrades and template changes. Staging is included with Gogeek and also with their more exclusive accounts.

I You like to see my site please go ahead. This is a live site. I am working on a template change for the whole site. Right now I use a JoomlaXTC template, which was not the best choice. The site is in Swedish.

http://cms.kreativfotografi.se

regards

ipower has been working out for the past year with Virtuemart perfectly, until a couple of weeks ago. Not sure what happened to them but all things Virtuemart, from plug-ins to setting up the Safe Path in a new site, all of a sudden don't work. Thanks for the info.

Melch777

Just to close this topic out or at least my end result from it, here's what happened with the tech person from ipower.com. I gave him my login info, so that he could go into my Joomla site and see for himself the problem with the key folder/key, not being created for the Safe Path.

Well, I just heard back from him and he tells me he setup the safe path to the public_html directory and it was all set. The safe path is supposed to be in the root directory and had been working fine for the past year but I went to look at what he did.

He setup 2 folders by himself in the public_html directory and then he setup a folder for my files in my Joomla directory, under the public_html directory.

He didn't setup the Safe Path, even though I explained to him the process. He had no idea about anything to do with Virtuemart or about the simple process of setting up the Safe Path.  I went to the configuration and then tried to do it to the folder he setup. Still doesn't work, so I guess I'm done with ipower and will probaly try my luck with Site Ground.

Also all the people I have dealt with on the tech side from ipower are not in-house people. I think there doing their tech work from India, they all have Indian names. Nothing against them but the quality of service has hit a new low.

Everything had been working fine until a week ago and then this. They must of done something on their end, don't know what and know I have to definitely find another provider for my hosting