Joomla 2.5 outdated => How to update Joomla 2.5 and VM System ???

Started by lostmail, February 12, 2015, 20:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lostmail

Joomla 2.5 is outdated now.
My Joomla installation has VM 2.x installed.

What is the complete step by step order to upgrade Joomla to 3.x and VM to 3.x ??
Is there a workaround ?
Joomla 3.x | VirtueMart 4.0.12 107771 | HORME3 PRO 1.9.6 / 2.0
VirtueMart 4.2.4 | Joomla 4.4.1 | PHP 8.1 | Vp_neoteric 1.3

AH

Stay with Joomla 2.5

It is not outdated and unless you really need any of the "new" functionality in joomla 3, I would stick with Joomla 2.5
Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

jenkinhill

Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

conlippert

I'm in the same situation - I have a site with Joomla 2.5 and am going to a new site with Joomla 3. Also have Virtuemart 2.6.6 on old site. Should I update Joomla first then how do I convert my Virtuemart 2.6.6 to Virtuemart 3?

GJC Web Design

Did u search???  This has been answered sooooooooo many times on here!!!!!
GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation

lostmail

Quote from: Hutson on February 12, 2015, 23:26:15 PM
Stay with Joomla 2.5

It is not outdated and unless you really need any of the "new" functionality in joomla 3, I would stick with Joomla 2.5

It´s not only a matter of features offered in Joomla V3 - it`s a matter of security.
Joomla 2.5 gets no security updates anymore.....

So you recommend to use a basic system without security patches ????
Joomla 3.x | VirtueMart 4.0.12 107771 | HORME3 PRO 1.9.6 / 2.0
VirtueMart 4.2.4 | Joomla 4.4.1 | PHP 8.1 | Vp_neoteric 1.3

jenkinhill

But VM2.5.27 does not suddenly become insecure. There are still so many users on VM2.5 that if there were to be a problem found then a patch would be forthcoming, in the same way that a patch was issued for J1.5 a long long time after it was declared EOL.  A lot of people got scared into updating to J3 after they installed J2.5.28 and saw a message in the security warning in the BE and advised to update ASAP. Strange that  the only significant change from J2.5.27 was the introduction by the devs of that warning plugin into the code.

I develop new sites on J3 as long as all the extensions the client requires are available for that version. Otherwise I use J2.5 and like my already existing J2.5 sites, I'll probably update at some time in the future, but certainly won't be rushing.  ATM J3.4 looks to be more stable than J3.3 which still has some problems.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

AH

QuoteSo you recommend to use a basic system without security patches ????

Yep - that is what I recommend at this current moment in time.

Plus don't install loads of components and plugins to make your site more secure and even easier to upgrade to joomla 3
Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

balai

Sorry guys but i think that this approach is like looking behind while the track goes too fast

J3 (especially 3.3 and then) has many advantages comparing to J2.5.
It is much more secure, much faster and has a series of new features.
Maybe some bugs come from time to time but that's normal even for much more tested versions

From my point of view all users should encouraged to use the J3 version.
This is good for joomla itself and the VM project as it can tested even further against these versions and adopt more practices from that.

AH

Balai

QuoteFrom my point of view all users should encouraged to use the J3 version.

A developers view of the world?  If there is a sound business reason and the costs can be justified then maybe the economic buyers will move - but just because a new version exists does not automatically create such an imperative

QuoteMaybe some bugs come from time to time but that's normal even for much more tested versions

Hence why I use a mature tested and stable platform .

Much faster - show me the results that make it a must have!

A series of new features - try listing those that matter to a store owner!

QuoteThis is good for joomla itself and the VM project as it can tested even further against these versions and adopt more practices from that.

Most store owners do not wish to test out an immature platform - they want a robust platform that they can use to sell items

Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

balai

QuoteHence why I use a mature tested and stable platform
As a coder you possibly know that there is no application without bugs.
Have a look at magento or drupal to see how often they have security releases

As for the how much tested it is, the 1st stable version of Joomla 3 was released more than 2 years ago.
Also the unit testing of J 3 introduces a much more advanced way of testing comparing to the user testing of J2.5

If you need more than that to migrate to a new version there is always J1.5

QuoteMuch faster - show me the results that make it a must have!
This is a benchmarking of the j2.5 router vs the j3 router done back in 2012
https://gist.github.com/mbabker/5544011
1st the old, 2nd the new
You can see a 0.542 seconds difference and some KBs of memory.

New data refer more than 10% increase in site speed and 2.5 sec faster page loading
http://community.joomla.org/blogs/community/1821-its-amazing-how-easy-it-is-to-do-more-with-joomla-33.html

QuoteA series of new features - try listing those that matter to a store owner!
Let's start from Security:

1. Abolish of the md5 encryption (J2.5) for BCrypt (J3) which is much more secure, for the password storage
2. Two Factor authentication. A hacker has less than 30 sec even if he manages to intercept a system and steal credentials. Almost impossible task
3. PHP 5.3 and higher

Content display and management

1. Cloud Storage API
2. Microdata. A very usefull feature for an eshop
3. More types of databases
4. Tagging system
5. Content Version Control

Web Design and Uability

1. Native Bootstrap
2. JQuery over Mootools
3. Responsive backend
4. LESS

Others

Front-end module management
Unit-testing
Better search

I need 1 reason to continue using j2.5

AH

Oh this is fun!

You keep quoting technical reasons that are not issues or imperatives to move.

no application without bugs.
But they are only bugs if they are a problem to your business/store operation and because joomla keeps being "improved" new ones keep getting introduced.

1. Abolish of the md5 encryption (J2.5) for BCrypt (J3) which is much more secure, for the password storage
But md5 is NOT insecure, so try selling this one to the users as a MUST have reason
2. Two Factor authentication. A hacker has less than 30 sec even if he manages to intercept a system and steal credentials. Almost impossible task
Yep for a store owner that does not use registration to slow down customer sale or lose them - this is a "real" loser.
Script kiddies will find alternative routes

3. PHP 5.3 and higher[/quote]
Since when did VM3 require anything less! (New minimum requirement for VirtueMart is php 5.3.10)

Router speed is maybe better
But stick a couple of sliders and large images on any product page and that renders these sort of tests pretty irrelevant

1. Cloud Storage API
Whoooa - I thought we were talking about a business imperative?
2. Microdata. A very usefull feature for an eshop
Agreed - but microdata for VM is NOT provided by joomla, your VM template needs to support it and as VM3 runs on both version of joomla the version is irrelevant
3. More types of databases
Seriously, this matters to your average store owner? I bet we all select lots of different databases when we install VM and move to a new one when we upgrade (hmm.....)
4. Tagging system
Modules are available and have been for ages to do this for all joomla versions
5. Content Version Control
LMAO

http://www.joomlashine.com/blog/6-highlight-features-of-joomla-3-3.html
This expands on the "must have" shop features

Web Design and Uability

1. Native Bootstrap
2. JQuery over Mootools
3. Responsive backend
4. LESS

Others

Front-end module management
Unit-testing
Better search

And still I see no significant business advantage to warrant a move and the upheaval it causes. When will coders learn that "just because you can, doesn't mean you should!"

QuoteI need 1 reason to continue using j2.5
1. If I already have my site bringing in good sales - I can keep focusing on my business (which after all is selling goods) And use the money saved on messing with the site to lower some prices and grab even more sales.
2. VM3 works well on it so I can upgrade VM if required.
3. The joomla team won't keep messing with it.
4. The VM team have said that they will provide (where possible) critical security fixes
5. I don't have to test my site every time joomla decides to update

Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

jenkinhill

Quote from: balai on February 23, 2015, 16:02:55 PM
I need 1 reason to continue using j2.5

As I so often hear from my clients. We have no budget for an upgrade at the moment. Incidentally that is why one of my oldest clients is still using J1.5 and very happy with it.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

AH

The economic buyer calls the shots and the economic buyer is, usually, not a techie.  (For a good reason!)
Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

balai

No MD5 is not secure at all according to it's inventor
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MD5#Security
http://www.zdnet.com/article/md5-password-scrambler-no-longer-safe/

As for the 2 factor authentication, seems that you are not well informed that can be restricted to the backend.

So the argument is that higher security, better performance and several enhancements do not concern your client?
If he does not want to undertake the cost that's his decision.