News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Tutorial on How To Config Manager Front End?

Started by Hammerhead, April 21, 2014, 17:42:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hammerhead

Howdy, folks.  Need to know if anyone can point me to a tutorial on how to set up a user to manage some basic functions from the front end.  All we really need is product and order maintenance, everything else (store config, etc.) will have been previously configured by me.  I'm trying to keep my customer away from the back end of the system if at all possible.

Thanks!

ETA:
Joomla 2.5.19
VM 2.6.0

Hammerhead

Still need help on this.

Reading these posts hasn't helped:
http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=107588.0
http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=99353.0

I've even tried twaddling with Joomla permissions, but for some reason I just can't seem to get it to work.  Hoping someone can point me in the right direction for documentation on how to implement a simple user-managed store inventory from the front end.

Thanks!

jenkinhill

You cannot manage the store from the front end. All that can be done is to admister products that have been added in the BE. You cannot add products, see orders etc from the FE.

You can, however, provide admin access to the BE and limit what can & can't be accessed using Joomla's ACL. (See the permissions icon top right of the VM config page)
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

Hammerhead

Kelvyn, thanks.  After reading your message, I tried it again.  Since I've never had to do this for anyone, it's my first experience - things have changed a LOT in VM since three years ago when I ran it for my own store.

Perhaps you can "look over my shoulder" and let me know if I'm on the right track?

- I created a new user group off of the Joomla 'Manager' permissions and called it 'Super Manager'.
- I created a new 'dummy user' account for testing and assigned the account to the 'Super Manager' group.
- I used the VM component ACL to allow access just enough to manage products, get reports, etc.
- When logging in to the back end, I see the permissions are prohibiting things that he really doesn't need or want access to, so that seems to be working.
- Presuming the above is correct, I will then assign the customers ID to the group and we should be good to go, yes?

Did I get it right?
Is there anything else I might do to simplify this, such having the VM admin panel appear in a wrapper, or would I be over-thinking it?

Thanks again in advance!