News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

VAT (BTW) on products outside EU

Started by lleto, May 16, 2013, 15:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lleto

Hi,
I recently was asked to manage a VM2 shop, not having dealt with VM before. It seems to work reasonably well with one exception.

The shop is based in the Netherlands, so there is a rule 21% VAT:
- VAT tax per product
- product categories are selected
- shopper groups selected
- countries in EU selected

Under the products I have selected the 21% VAT rule and the VAT is correctly applied to products. However when someone orders from a country that is not in the tax rule country list I would expect VM not to apply the 21% VAT rule (so no tax). The problem is that this does not happen. Customers who order from the US (for instance) still get VAT applied.

Any help is appreciated.

jenkinhill

Set up a tax rule for zero% to apply to all and a 21% rate for EU listing those countries to which it should apply.  http://docs.virtuemart.net/manual/17-products-menu/30-taxes-and-calculation-rules.html

If selling to VAT registered businesses in the EU then there is a plugin to deal with that - http://extensions.virtuemart.net/vm-orders/eu-vat-checker-detail
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

lleto

Hi,

thanks for that. I have now added a 0% rate for all categories, all shopper groups and all countries. Left states empty.

I then changed a product from base price 'tax 21%' to apply default rules, only for the non anonymous shopper groups. This seems to work. My NL based account now still calculates VAT at 21% and my USA test account shows prices including VAT, but when they are added to the basked no VAT is charged.

Thanks!

lorartemis

I'm using J 2.5.11 with VM 2.0.20b.   I need vat to show for anonymous users (which I've done with a tax rule), vat to show for EU customers (again with a tax rule which works) but I need to have no vat for Non EU customers e.g. USA etc. 

I've setup a tax rule for all of 0% vat not assigned to any shopper group, country etc so it should apply to all, yes?
I've setup a tax rule for 20% vat per product for default with eu countries listed
I've setup a tax rule for 20% vat per product for anonymous with no countries listed

When I add to cart and select USA (or other non eu) vat is still charged. 

Is there something I need to change in the products to get this to work?  They are all set to 'apply default rule'.    I need everyone who arrives at the site to see the price including vat, which I've achieved, but I don't want non eu customers to be charged.

I can put the web address if anyone an help?
Thanks
Lor