News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Base or Original price is not showing in the product details?

Started by bilalk, March 27, 2013, 07:16:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bilalk

Hi,

Site Details:
Joomla 2.5.9
Virtuemart: 2.0.20b

the Price (Base price) in the product details is not showing! only the Sales price and discount value are showing? all the setting in the price are correct ( i enabled all the setting still no luck) kindly advice!

Thanks

Shibumi

I've noticed this as well - when a "guest" or "-anonymous-" shopper is on the website the baseprice is not visible, only the "Sale Price" even if the product is not on sale, but if you log in as a registered user "-default-" shopper it will now show the baseprice - I have tried a variety of settings, display and do not display various prices in the config page, setting -anonymous= and -default- shopper groups on and off for product, and nothing seems to change the displayed prices. Is VM not mapping -anonymous- to the Joomla! public group properly or something?
Jeff
=================================================
Scionergy.com - www.Scionergy.com
Scion Owners Club of Ottawa - www.ScionOwnersClubOttawa.ca
Capital Door Service - www.CapitalDoorService.com - VM2.0.20b, Joomla 2.5.11 PHP5.2.11 powered site

AH

Same problem here - Product price not assigned in backend.

Guest/Anonymous user cannot see base price since 2.0.20b

Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

jamo

Shibumi

Jeff
Capital Door Service - www.CapitalDoorService.com - VM2.0.20b, Joomla 2.5.11 PHP5.2.11 powered site

Maxim Pishnyak

You can support Community by voting for Project on the JED
https://extensions.joomla.org/extension/virtuemart/#reviews
Join us at
https://twitter.com/virtuemart

Shibumi

That is not the issue, the issue is that in most cases, the actual price does not show for guests (-annonymous-) shoppers, only logged in shoppers (-default-)
Jeff

Maxim Pishnyak

Quote from: Shibumi on June 17, 2013, 18:46:42 PM
in most cases, the actual price does not show
what??

in most cases clean and out of box Virtuemart shows sales (called by you "actual") prices
You can support Community by voting for Project on the JED
https://extensions.joomla.org/extension/virtuemart/#reviews
Join us at
https://twitter.com/virtuemart

T.A. Garrison, LLC

I know this is an old thread, but there is  LOT of controversy over why the "Base Price" (Baseprice) doesn't appear when there is a discount applied.

In "my" case, my client wants the "original" price (VM calls this the Baseprice) to show to all users - with a line through the number (strike-through).

To be clear - ex:
$89.00
Sales price $45.00
Discount $-45.00

In order to create the above I spent the better part of 6 weeks searching for a resolve. Many answers included template file overrides and CSS changes. I tried them all and was not able to make this work.
Every time I needed to make a change to something else so some other area would work, the number with the strike-through would disappear.

Today, I finally got what "I think" will not only resolve the issue, but remain when I make other changes as necessary.

The "Base Price" is directly related to the "Tax Affecting:" for each product. Why? I have no idea - you'll have to get that answer from the developers. The relationship of the default tax and the "Base Price" is completely illogical.
Much of what I have found in the current version of VM (2.0.6a) is based upon the mandates of countries "other than" the US. So, those of us in the US have been truly scratching our heads in order to figure out the "how" and "why" of so many aspects of the current VM.

I "get" that things must be done a specific way in other countries. But if 1 country, albeit the "bloody yanks", does everything backwards to the rest of the world, should we not have the options to enable or disable things?
Even though it's law in many countries to have certain parts of the shopping cart enabled, is it impossible to allow the ability to disable that which must be disabled in the US?

Ok. Here's what I did that fixed the issue - today, at least:
Admin > Configuration > Configuration > Pricing > Show Following Prices - Enable the following: Show Prices / Baseprice with Tax, but without discounts / Discount amount

Admin > Products > Tax & Calculation Rules
For the US, you will need to create a tax rule for the state where you have a physical presence. Meaning, if you have a building from which you deliver products or services, you will need to charge tax in every city of that state.
In addition to the necessary tax rules for the cities in your state(s), create a "default" tax rule.
New > name it whatever; publish; description (whatever); Type of Arithmetic Operation = Tax per product; Math Operation = +%; Value = 0
Other than those settings you'll need to make sure you add a "Start Date".
DO NOT select a country! If you do then the customer will need to be logged in before they see the strike-through price. (I don't understand that logic, but that's how it works.)

Now, in each product you must assign "Apply default rules" or this won't work:
Admin > Products > "item" > Product Information > Product Pricing > Tax Affecting: "Apply default rules"
Below that, leave the drop-down set to "Apply no rule".
Make sure you have your original or "Base Price" (Baseprice) entered into "Cost Price" (why in the world there are so many names for the exact same field I have no idea).
Then, enter the price you want to display as the actual selling price for the item in "Final Price".
For the amount of discount, enter the amount you are going to subtract from the "Cost Price" to make the "Final Price".
Select "Overwrite price to be taxed".
Save.
Now refresh your front end and you will see the original price with a strike-through, followed by the actual sales price, followed by the amount of the discount.

This is overly complicated and illogical, IMHO.
But it's the only way I was able to get the original price with the strike-through to show, followed by the actual selling price and also show the amount of discount.
If you also entered a tax for your state you will see that appear in the cart when the customer inputs their address and zip code.

HOWEVER....and this is important. You will need to do one of 2 things to get the correct tax for all the cities in your state.
Either, create tax rules for every city in your state, OR...use "TaxCloudLite". Contact GJC Web Design. It will make life simple.
The third option is absurd which is AlvaTax. The cost is surprisingly prohibitive.

I know that jenkinhill has responded several times to this issue, but I'm convinced that his instructions are assuming many steps as opposed to detailing the entire process. I followed a couple of his posts to the letter without any luck. And, yes, I knew that the instructions were about a year old. But since nothing was working I was trying everything.

Do I have overrides? Yes.
Is one of my overrides related to this issue? Not that I can tell.
I had the modifications added and the strike-through still didn't work.
But, to that end, here my default_products.php modification (found in /components/com_virtuemart/views/virtuemart/tmpl/default_products.php) which is copied to /templates/mytemplate/html/com_virtuemart/views/virtuemart/tmpl/default_products.php

(roughly around line 78)
                  if '<div class="price-crossed">' . ($this->currency->createPriceDiv( 'discountAmount', 'COM_VIRTUEMART_PRODUCT_DISCOUNT_AMOUNT', $product->prices )) {
echo $this->currency->createPriceDiv('basePriceWithTax', 'COM_VIRTUEMART_PRODUCT_BASEPRICE_WITHTAX', $product->prices) . "</div>";
               }

I hope that those who are still beating their head against the wall on this issue find this helpful.
T.A. Garrison, LLC
3150 Orleans St. # 28261
Bellingham, WA 98228

GJC Web Design

Pleased to annouce the VM2.0 TaxCloud Plugin has now been approved by TaxCloud (they will be announcing this shortly) and is available for download.
http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=113564.0
GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation

gsullins

LTCreations - Bravo for your post!  I never put it together that taxes had anything to do with creating the strike-through price - to help  show the price before a discount.  You saved me a lot of trouble, as I didn't see a ready solution in the forum.  What's strange is that VM 1 had this out of the box.  VM 2 seemingly does not, though it does connect with discounting somehow?   I don't have taxes in my shop, as it's b2b, for resale.  So I never thought to create a 0 tax rate, as you suggested, to help the baseprice show up in product details!  Thank you!

I do need to work on displaying a % discount though, versus a dollar discount.  Another day.

paulmin

Quote from: LTCreations on December 30, 2013, 22:55:10 PM

I hope that those who are still beating their head against the wall on this issue find this helpful.

Very helpful, Thank you.

Would you or anyone know where to edit the "Base Price with tax" label for it to just say "Base Price". As a small non profit organization we do not collect tax and it is stated elsewhere on the website. It looks silly then when it says on product page "Base Price with Tax".

jenkinhill

Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

estelleK

LTCreations - Bravo for your post!
You saved my life for something I was unable to solve for weeks, THANKSSSSSS

efocus

LTCreations — Thank you, thank you for your post! So many years later and this problems still exists on VM 2.6.18. I have no idea if it's been fixed in VM 3 as I haven't gotten that far. I'm in a no tax state so I would have never thought to enable taxes to get any of the base price fields to display. I spent hours on this issue until I found your post.