News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Upgraded to VM2 but still on Joomla1.5 Now what

Started by mowlman, January 17, 2013, 18:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mowlman

I have a test site running joomla 1.5 & I went through the VM2 migration. (VM2.0.18a)

Now do I use SPupgrade to migrate joomla? OR
use Jupgrade?

It seems like for SPupgrade I will need to make another test site where Jupgrade will create a sub folder part of its migration.

I'm using my 65 item shopping site as a proof of concept before i attempt to migrate my 1000+ item site.  For this small site it would have been quicker to start from scratch, I am hoping to gain some knowledge here so my large site will migrate easier.

Thank you in advanced for any help.

jenkinhill

I have used SP Upgrade for that - you only need to create a subdirectory & install vanilla J2.5   Tutorial - http://www.ostraining.com/blog/joomla/sp-upgrade

I was not happy with Jupgrade - had some problems.

Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

mowlman

Thank you for replying.

I have been trying to find the instructions to complete my migration, including looking at the sp upgrade site.

Starting with Joomla1 and a VM2 site.   I created a j25 sub directory , installed joomla2.5 and then ran SP upgrade.  Now I am trying to find out how to get my VM2 into the new joomla 2.5 site?
Could it be as simple as installing VM2 on my new joomla 2.5 site.  Then using myphpadmin Export my joomla 1 VM2 tables, then importing them into my Joomla 2.5 / VM2 site?

If yes, then should I empty my j25 / vm2 new installation tables before I import from my joomla1 / vm2 tables?

Thank you for any help or link you can provide

jenkinhill

New J2.5, ran SPUpgrade to copy over data, then installed VM2 on the J2.5 with sample data, checked it worked (ie validated the install) and then exported each VM table as .sql from the J1.5 installation, dropped the equivalent table on the J2.5 install and run each exported file as sql query. Doing it one at a time was the way that suited me, making notes all the time - just in case.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

mowlman

After migration from joomla 1 /vm2 to joomla 2.5 / vm2  I no longer have product images being displayed (standard image not found)

If I manually go into a product and set a product images and its thumb in the admin backend, then the product image and thumbs shows. However , I am trying not to have to do this for 1000 images.
I spent all last week going through the different migration methods (vm first then joomla, joomla first then VM) however, the results seem to be the same, once I migrate joomla, I lose product images.

Installed on localhost , I have
joomla 1 site with VM2 (working) : C:\xampp\htdocs\elegant2\

besides the thumbnails images being too small, at least they are being displayed.

Also have Joomla 2.5 site with VM2.0.18a: C:\xampp\htdocs\elegant2\j25\

This time I used SPupgrade to migrate joomla.  Per instructions, I Exported my j1 VM2 site Virtuemart tables using PHPAdmin, then dropped the new j2.5/vm2 virtuemart tables, then imported the previously exported J1 / VM2 tables into my new j2.5/vm2.

Before any migration, I have duplicated all the stories/virtuemart images and subdirectories. Within VM Config / Templates tab, I have all of the images paths configured
##Paths
    assets_general_path=components/com_virtuemart/assets/
    media_category_path=images/stories/virtuemart/category/
    media_product_path=images/stories/virtuemart/product/
    media_manufacturer_path=images/stories/virtuemart/manufacturer/
    media_vendor_path=images/stories/virtuemart/vendor/

ALSO have thumbnail creation enabled:
    img_resize_enable=1
    img_width=160
    img_height=160
    no_image_set=noimage.gif
    no_image_found=warning.png

Verified all images are published, I do not have multivendor setup and I can see my images under my Shop - Media Files.

This image linking or , I should say losing it, is driving me crazy.  I know for this test sample site, I am only working with 65 products so starting from scratch would have been faster, but I have 2 others sites with around 1000 products.

I can't figure out what to try next. HELP

jenkinhill

Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

mowlman

YES,  I copied all images before any migrations.

I am able to get category pictures to display, but had to edit each category in backend and choose the proper image.  Is this what I have to do for each product?  I hope not since there are many products I have to deal with.

mowlman

Any further comments?

YES,  I copied all images before any migrations.

I am able to get category pictures to display, but had to edit each category in backend and choose the proper image.  Is this what I have to do for each product?  I hope not since there are many products I have to deal with.

jenkinhill

I also came across a problem this week where the cat images were not recognised and had to be manually edited. I put it down to long file names with many iunderscrores in them, but it was quick to fix with a manual edit.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK