[Solved] Out of Memory Error Apparently Related to SEO

Started by cmb, November 27, 2012, 20:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bytelord

Sorry i don't have another answer on that, the only i can think is related to PHP or any joomla issue.
Did you try with localhost?
Production: Joomla 2.5.8 | VM 2.0.14 | PHP 5.3.13
Testing     : Joomla 2.5.8 | VM 2.0.16 | PHP 5.3.8
Testing     : Joomla 2.5.8 |    VM 2.1   | PHP 5.3.8

- Don't Forget to mark thread as solved when it is solved!
- Please do not PM with support questions, use the forum!

cmb

Quote from: bytelord on November 28, 2012, 04:34:31 AM
Did you try with localhost?
I took another run at the problem today. With the caches of my browsers cleared, I can get to my site's VirtueMart pages if the VirtueMart SEO and the Joomla SEF URLs are both disabled. When I enabled those options, VirtueMart gives me the same type of Fatal Errors as noted above.

I moved the site to my local XAMPP. Of course, everything works fine there.

Back at my own server, I reverted from VirtueMart version 2.0.14 to VirtueMart version 2.0.13a (also reported as 2.0.12g). The site now works well with no Fatal Errors with and without SEF/SEO enabled. Apparently something broke in the move from 2.0.13a to 2.0.14.

I can use 2.0.14 without SEF/SEO or version 2.0.13a with SEF/SEO.
Charles

bytelord

Hello,

I don't thing something is broke, router just have some new changes but is not causing the issue. Out of memory is related to PHP and as you said you have PHP5.3+. May be the the other vm version doesn't go over 29mb when you testing, just luck.
If is working just fine locally why on your live server causes issues? Is not related to vm/joomla. I still think is a PHP issue. Please ask your provider.

Regards

cmb

Quote from: bytelord on November 28, 2012, 23:11:00 PM
I don't thing something is broke, router just have some new changes but is not causing the issue. Out of memory is related to PHP and as you said you have PHP5.3+.

I forgot to mention that my XAMPP is at PHP version 5.4.4. My ISP is at 5.3.x.

QuoteMay be the the other vm version doesn't go over 29mb when you testing, just luck.
If is working just fine locally why on your live server causes issues? Is not related to vm/joomla. I still think is a PHP issue. Please ask your provider.

They say that my memory limit is 256 megabytes.
Charles

bytelord

I don't know really.
All my PHP installations with joomla 2.5 and vm2 are PHP 5.3.x, you shouldn't have issues with that. Do you any other host to test your site also there?

cmb

Quote from: bytelord on November 29, 2012, 02:49:59 AM
Do you any other host to test your site also there?
Now that you mention it, I could temporarily load the site on to one of my client's account. In fact, the site under development is destined for a different host in a week or two.

I have another client running VirtueMart at version 2.0.12f on still another host. I can put a copy of his site on a subdomain, move it to 2.0.14 and see what happens.
Charles

bytelord

Yes you can place it on a subdomain or subfolder. Use akeeba backup to backup and restore to the new location.
Remember to check the configuration on the new url (joomla live site, etc)

Regards

cmb

Quote from: bytelord on November 29, 2012, 03:16:56 AM
Yes you can place it on a subdomain or subfolder. Use akeeba backup to backup and restore to the new location.
Minutes ago I moved one of my client's sites from PHP 5.2 to version 5.3 just to keep Akeeba happy.

If you know what you are doing and have lived a clean and wholesome life, with Akeeba (and Kickstart), you can rule the world.
Charles

bytelord

Yes, is a great tool.

Keep in mind joomla 2.5 works better with php 5.3, the same with vm2.

Regards

cmb

Quote from: bytelord on November 29, 2012, 02:49:59 AM
Do you any other host to test your site also there?
I copied the troublesome site over to a different host. It will come as no surprise to you that the VirtueMart pages worked fine. My own host claims that there will be no problems if the memory use remains below 256 megabytes. Obviously that's not the case because the error always appears at 29.6 megabytes. Now I just have to get them to repair the misconfiguration.
Charles

bytelord

Hello,

Yes i think the override that price and block your php memory site limit ... hopefully they fix it

Regards

cmb

My host responded with, The server's php limit is set to 256MB, not 128 MB or 28 MB that your script is reporting. Please double check the script's setting to make sure there is no internal memory limit setup on the configuration.

I persisted, pointing out that the reported setting for the site in question was 128 MB. Whatever erroneous value was stuck in that site's configuration file was flushed out when they finally reset it to 256 MB.

At last I can bring VirtueMart up to version 2.0.14 without having it blow up in my face.
Charles

bytelord

Hello,

So it is working now? Probably the 128mb of memory is shared around the installed nodes or the didn't restart apache last time they increase it :)

but in any case try to search your source code (just saying) if any extension sets the limit from the script as your host provider mention, but i don't think that a joomla extension will reduce the php memory size

btw, the code is ini_set('memory_limit', '128M');

try to search inside the code for ini_set('memory_limit'

just in case...

Regards

cmb

Quote from: bytelord on November 30, 2012, 03:48:37 AM
So it is working now?
It's doing fine and I've marked this thread as Solved.
QuoteProbably the 128mb of memory is shared around the installed nodes or the didn't restart apache last time they increase it...
My host was once great but in the last six months they've botched a few things up. I no longer recommend them to my clients.
Quote...but in any case try to search your source code (just saying) if any extension sets the limit from the script as your host provider mention, but i don't think that a joomla extension will reduce the php memory size... try to search inside the code for ini_set('memory_limit'
Sometimes there's a space just inside the left parentheses. I didn't write a regular expression search. I just searched for the memory_limit part in the entire Joomla/VirtueMart directory structure. I found a few instances.

At line 56 of \administrator\components\com_virtuemart\helpers\migrator.php:
if($memory_limit<128)  @ini_set( 'memory_limit', '128M' );
so that's benign. The same line appears at line 49 of \administrator\components\com_virtuemart\helpers\tableupdater.php and line 20 of \administrator\components\com_virtuemart_allinone\script.vmallinone.php.

Line 59 of \components\com_virtuemart\views\orders\view.html.php is:
if($memory_limit<40)  @ini_set( 'memory_limit', '40M' );
Again, no problem.

Line 13 of \administrator\components\com_virtuemart\install\script.virtuemart.php has:
@ini_set( 'memory_limit', '32M' );
Why that's there without a conditional statement if front of it, I have no idea. I hope the memory limit gets reset to a higher value soon after that.
Charles

bytelord

Hello cmb,

No problem, all this running during installation/update/migration ... as you notice also of course.

So, is your host after! Glad you solved, sometimes the host providers reply's back without checking / validating the issue ...

Regards