News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

[Solved] Out of Memory Error Apparently Related to SEO

Started by cmb, November 27, 2012, 20:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmb

Quote from: bytelord on November 30, 2012, 16:20:34 PM
...sometimes the host providers reply's back without checking / validating the issue ...
I invariably get better service from my hosting when I'm dealing with the owner. His underlings often have a more perfunctory attitude. They read from the script and strive to clear trouble tickets as quickly as possible.
Charles

bytelord

Is the reason why i am running my own server hosted in a uk datacenter ... :)
Production: Joomla 2.5.8 | VM 2.0.14 | PHP 5.3.13
Testing     : Joomla 2.5.8 | VM 2.0.16 | PHP 5.3.8
Testing     : Joomla 2.5.8 |    VM 2.1   | PHP 5.3.8

- Don't Forget to mark thread as solved when it is solved!
- Please do not PM with support questions, use the forum!

cmb

Quote from: bytelord on November 30, 2012, 19:29:48 PM
Is the reason why i am running my own server hosted in a uk datacenter ... :)
I'm moving in that direction too. So far, though, I've only begun some experiments with an Oracle VM VirtualBox on my own computer.
Charles

Milbo

Quote from: cmb on November 28, 2012, 22:38:36 PM
Apparently something broke in the move from 2.0.13a to 2.0.14.

I can use 2.0.14 without SEF/SEO or version 2.0.13a with SEF/SEO.

Yes, we moved caching into the RAM. Our experience is that using more RAM to save calculation time is in most cases desired.

Quote from: cmb on November 30, 2012, 04:46:12 AM

Line 13 of \administrator\components\com_virtuemart\install\script.virtuemart.php has:
@ini_set( 'memory_limit', '32M' );
Why that's there without a conditional statement if front of it, I have no idea. I hope the memory limit gets reset to a higher value soon after that.

Thanks for finding this. in the new version I will add a standard function ensuring a set memory limit for special operations.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

cmb

Quote from: Milbo on December 17, 2012, 19:56:41 PM
Yes, we moved caching into the RAM. Our experience is that using more RAM to save calculation time is in most cases desired.
Does that mean that VirtueMart is chewing up my RAM even if I have all caching disabled?

On a related note, I'm still getting fatal out of memory errors at about 30 megabytes even though my maximum memory limit is set to 256 megabytes. It doesn't happen all the time. Usually an administrator has to be logged into the site. If a visitor to the front end then selects a VirtueMart page, they will often, but not always, see the fatal error. No other pages on the site are affected.

I have reloaded Joomla, jEvents, VirtueMart and numerous other extensions. It now appears that disabling URL Rewriting allows the visitor to see the VirtueMart pages without errors. The analysis continues.
Charles

bytelord

@cmb

I think this was related to your provider PHP memory size settings, cause as you test it local and on another server you didn't have this issue ... you could change this line to 128 or 256mb but will not affect it as you said previously.

cmb

Quote from: bytelord on December 17, 2012, 20:14:34 PM
I think this was related to your provider PHP memory size settings, cause as you test it local and on another server you didn't have this issue...
It may be that I didn't test it extensively enough on the other servers. I noticed recently that an administrator has to be logged in for the out of memory condition to be reached. It also doesn't happen all the time. I haven't yet pinned down all the conditions required. So far, disabling URL Rewriting seems to be the solution but not all the evidence is in. I'll leave URL Rewriting disabled for now and see if the fatal error reappears. Too many variables.
Charles

bytelord

This is something else, but as more functions your are using, more memory is needed (like making Apache changes or using sef), also when connecting as administrator more "stuff" is been loaded. As i told you, imho, this is related to your hosting provider, may be finally they increased your memory limit for PHP, but, does your box/account have enough memory?? If for example your node haves 256 memory for the whole node how to able to increase your php memory size up to 256? only Apache needs 128mb at least.  Check your memory consumption on your box if your provider lets you do it.

But anyway, if you are sure that is not related to your hosting provider, that's fine for me.

Regards

cmb

Quote from: bytelord on December 17, 2012, 20:52:48 PM
...imho, this is related to your hosting provider, may be finally they increased your memory limit for PHP, but, does your box/account have enough memory??
That's unknown. The report from PHP Info is that I have 256 megabytes available. The error occurs intermittently if I try to allocate any more than 30 megabytes. There is 226 megabytes of memory unaccounted for and in use by some anonymous processes.
QuoteIf for example your node haves 256 memory for the whole node how to able to increase your php memory size up to 256? only Apache needs 128mb at least.  Check your memory consumption on your box if your provider lets you do it.
Unfortunately, I cannot determine the total box memory allocation. Also, the error messages are not detailed and the Fatal Error - Out of Memory messages are not even logged.
Quote...if you are sure that is not related to your hosting provider, that's fine for me.
At this point, I suspect some anomaly in my hosting provider's configuration but the evidence is not conclusive. I can't make it fail consistently. So far it only appears when a VirtueMart page is called and then only intermittently.
Charles

bytelord

It comes in some vm2 pages because uses more memory and that because access the database, make calulations, etc ... If it stops then is related either to your htaccess (php.ini in other cases that have access to it) file configuration or your hosting provider. Please make a test with another provider or request more memory for your node ... is a vps node? shared hosting account? A cheap hosting?

Regards

cmb

Quote from: bytelord on December 17, 2012, 22:07:12 PM
Please make a test with another provider or request more memory for your node ... is a vps node? shared hosting account? A cheap hosting?
The Website in question is under development and will be moved to my client's hosting account within a few weeks.
Charles

balai

Hi

I have encounter similar problems with some hostings.
Could you please refer your hosting company to check if its the same?

Milbo

I am also interested in your the amount of products and categories you have.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

cmb

Quote from: balai on December 18, 2012, 10:23:01 AM
Could you please refer your hosting company to check if its the same?
Answered privately. There's no need to disparage my hosting company yet.
Quote from: Milbo on December 18, 2012, 12:58:32 PM
I am also interested in your the amount of products and categories you have.
The site in question has fifteen products in two categories. There are no custom fields and no child products. There is one manufacturer, a no shipping module and a PayPal payment module. There are just the anonymous and default shopper groups.
Charles