News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Adding ordering to Manufacturers (new feature)

Started by balai, October 08, 2012, 19:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

balai

Hi

I was thinking that in some shops there are some dozens or even hundreds of Manufacturers.
In this case it would be really important to have the manufacturers ordered in a way where the most important are on top and the less at the bottom.

This would be really helpfull for the backend and the front-end where this ordering can be used in the Manufacturers module or any other extension like a filtering one.

sirius

Hi all,

I think height years are enough to consider adding this feature (?)
It's a really needed one for lots of people.
For example I have big partners from well known brands that must be put in first place, so I can't because o f the VM core.
So again we must install another module that will do a carousel for the logos and etc., so it mean more javascript again (often the case) and all of that.

Thanks to watch about this again
regards
J3.10.12 | PHP 7.4.33 + APC + memcached + Opcode
VM Prod : 3.8.6 | VM Test : 4.0.12.10777

pinochico

Yes, if you need, then hire some custom developers.

But I read, you are use 3d party solution and is ok, or not?
www.minijoomla.org  - new portal for Joomla!, Virtuemart and other extensions
XML Easy Feeder - feeds for FB, GMC,.. from products, categories, orders, users, articles, acymailing subscribers and database table
Virtuemart Email Manager - customs email templates
Import products for Virtuemart - from CSV and XML
Rich Snippets - Google Structured Data
VirtueMart Products Extended - Slider with products, show Others bought, Products by CF ID and others filtering products

sirius

(if you speak to me)

nop, because mine rely on the VM core, that's why it must be implemented.
We can reorder, products, categories, payment, deliveries, but not manufacturers ?  ???

Oh yes, if it become mandatory for me I will ask for dev, but I always try myself first. But was under VM 1.1.9, and now VM 3.8.4 so learn again.

AH

I doubt it "must" be implemented

For backend you can select for a specific manufacturer - sorting is pointless in such an instance

If you want something like that in the front end - pay for someone to do it for you
Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

sirius

Quote from: AH on October 08, 2020, 09:15:05 AM
I doubt it "must" be implemented

For backend you can select for a specific manufacturer - sorting is pointless in such an instance

If you want something like that in the front end - pay for someone to do it for you

As I said, it's not a problem to hire a dev if I really really need.
This apart I don't really post on a forum to have some reply like "pay for someone to do it for you"  ;D
But thanks anyway  ;)

AH

Glad we are on the same page then.

You dont want it for free and there is no free option for you.
Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

balai

QuoteIf you want something like that in the front end - pay for someone to do it for you
First of all, i suppose that this is a forum of the Virtuemart project and not a freelancer marketplace.
I am pretty confident that almost anyone knows that he can hire a freelancer and how to do that.
Hence what's the value of that post in that forum?

Secondly by replying in that way, you discourage users submitting their feedback.
What is the future of a project that does not listen to it's users?

QuoteFor backend you can select for a specific manufacturer - sorting is pointless in such an instance
How this is related with sorting, records?

Last but not least, a feature request is pointed to people related with the project and their role permits them to accept/deny it.

jenkinhill

@balai you make some good points here. I did come across a manufacturer order issue for one client who had around a dozen, but required the three most used ones to be top of the listing for his customers. Simply solved with a Joomla menu rather than get a third party coder. As that is the only time I have needed to look at this I'm not sure how many people would used an ordering facility if it were added to the core.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

AH

Balai

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
QuoteFirst of all, i suppose that this is a forum of the Virtuemart project and not a freelancer marketplace.

It supports both and freelancers are active in this forum.

QuoteI am pretty confident that almost anyone knows that he can hire a freelancer and how to do that.
I am less confident of such things - getting a freelancer and getting a good one that can work with VM is far more tricky!  Coming to this forum is a good start and seeking advice from active members would seem to me to be useful.

QuoteSecondly by replying in that way, you discourage users submitting their feedback.
Or it allows them to see that their request may not be seen as a core development and that they may wish to see if the Devs will provide core functionality if they pay.

QuoteWhat is the future of a project that does not listen to it's users?
As a third party developer yourself, I would think that you don't work for free - If everything is developed for free based on requests in this forum - there is no future.

QuoteHow this is related with sorting, records?
Yes apologies - agreed it is a poor response and a misunderstanding on my part. There is no sort order value for manufacturers

QuoteLast but not least, a feature request is pointed to people related with the project and their role permits them to accept/deny it.
Yep - and as an active member of the project - part of what I can do is help add my voice/view on proposed new developments. 

Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

pinochico

I think it's just an unfortunate verbal expression of the request.

We all know that VM 1.19 was programmed by someone other than the current DEV team.
We all know that it was not an upgrade as such, but a rewrite of the code - many old codes have been preserved for many years, many of the original code and functions have disappeared.

If you require something, it is better to request the return of the original functionality from VM 1.19 as a featured request and wait to see if the DEV team will include it in the next update. (I know a lot about this because we have reprogrammed VM1.19 to EASYVM 1.19 with many new features.)

We all know that if I support such a request by purchasing a support subscription, it will most likely be done. (I do not think about why this is so, even though I have my opinion - it is not the subject of this discussion).

Write this request in the form of:

It's a bug, it needs to be fixed because I want it (this is what this text says in my google translate)

obviously causes personal passion in the discussion.

Maybe because many people no longer want to respect the word: MUST and I WANT?

As I wrote, I think it's just an unfortunate verbal expression of the request.
www.minijoomla.org  - new portal for Joomla!, Virtuemart and other extensions
XML Easy Feeder - feeds for FB, GMC,.. from products, categories, orders, users, articles, acymailing subscribers and database table
Virtuemart Email Manager - customs email templates
Import products for Virtuemart - from CSV and XML
Rich Snippets - Google Structured Data
VirtueMart Products Extended - Slider with products, show Others bought, Products by CF ID and others filtering products

AH

Pinochio

Yes - maybe translation of must and want are a problem here.

Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

balai

Guys, users ask things when they need them.
This is the optimal way for a project/product to listen to it's audience and evaluate their requests.

Imho, we have to respect them and encourage their feedback.

AH

Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0