News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

joomla 3.0

Started by janis, October 04, 2012, 11:50:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milbo

Yes the plan is this time that we have a j3.0 compatible (at least test) version some months before they release the 3.5
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

jenkinhill

Current plan is for release of J3.5 in March 2014 and end of LTS for J2.5 at end of September 2014, at which time J4.0 should become available - and people start asking how long before VM will work on J4..............
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

lindapowers

I think they already had complains for the update philosophy in some of their conferences. (Joomla team im talking about)

We just launched our website in VM2 and joomla 2.5 so in 2014 is outdated?

Following their logic one should change website each year and a half or 2 years which is something I can't really understand and I say change cause updating means you assume all 3rd party developers will update their components/templates/plugins etc to work in newer versions which we all know usually never happens.

jenkinhill

The response to the frequency of update complaints from 3rd party developers and from people responsible for managing large or corporate Joomla sites was to go from 18 to 24 month cycle for Long Term Supported releases. I still think that is too short a period, and means that component developers spend a lot of time on making compatible code for the next J version, while continuing to support the last/current LTS version, instead of bug fixing and introducing new functions.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

lindapowers

Quote from: jenkinhill on May 01, 2013, 11:05:38 AM
The response to the frequency of update complaints from 3rd party developers and from people responsible for managing large or corporate Joomla sites was to go from 18 to 24 month cycle for Long Term Supported releases. I still think that is too short a period, and means that component developers spend a lot of time on making compatible code for the next J version, while continuing to support the last/current LTS version, instead of bug fixing and introducing new functions.

Yeah I agree. Is a ridiculous time. Both for developers and web owners feels like you are on a race to build a website with a limited life.

What they are gonna  make with that philosophy is that in 5 years time we have joomla websites in 5 different versions, cause at the end of the day what people want is to build a website that is nice and works ignoring if is version 1.5 or 4.5.

What is even more incredible is that when they declare the end of life of a version they don't even release security fixes so you have to think you are using an insecure and outdated version which forces you to update.

At least I hope the update from 2.5 to 3.5 is not like the one from 1.5 to 2.5 :o

RassinNL

Does anyone have a supposed date to get a J3 compatible version? If it's gonna be a long wait then I'll downgrade to j2.6, otherwise I'll convince my client to wait a bit.

kr

RassinNL

jjk

As mentioned above, the developers aim to provide stable J3.5 VM2 version around March 2014. Test versions might be available a few months earlier, but remember that test versions might still have problems in some areas. Also, keep in mind that after the release of a J3.x compatible version all the VM extension developers, i.e. payment extension providers, will need some time to catch up. So at present I would still beginn with the current Joomla 2.5 15 and VM 2.0.22a and start adding content. Installing Joomla/VM2 is done in a few minutes, but adding content and configure it to meet all legal requirements can take several months. Of course this will require some additional migration work later, which your client will probably will have to pay for.
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations

jshoeks

While i do understand why you are not going do to a "stable" release before Joomla 3.5, any info on when you expect to start the alpha/beta states of VM 2.2 (or what you are gonna call the version with this support) for J!3 would be nice info to put out there somewhere.... and as always with develop info, all info is approximations ;)

jjk

There might be a short info related to your question in the next news release  ;)
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations