News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

VM will not install!!!!

Started by Rookie232, May 24, 2012, 21:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rookie232

Very frustrated. Can not get VM to install. I have unzipped the first file but am unable to get the next file to upload and install. Page errors out to a blank page.

Running a clean Joomla install  2.5.2 Stable
Attempting to install virtuemart.2.0.6

Anyone having the same issue?

Rookie232

This kinda stupid. I am sure there is some cryptic reason that it is designed this way but why? You have to unzip the first archive. That gives you 2 files com_virtuemart.2.0.6_ext_aio.tar.gz & com_virtuemart.2.0.6.tar.gz. Unarchive each. Then zip each. Then install. Why is it so hard to add directions to a text file in the first archive?? One sentence would have saved me a few hours of poking around. Yes, there is a link in the text file to a url with "INSTRUUUUCTION". But they are not clear. Maaaan!

eiger

Ah! You solved it for me too then. Thanks bud  :)

Rookie232

I knew my rant would help someone. SUCH AN EASY PROBLEM TO FIX! One sentence and done. They have a  whole page  dedicated to confusing you. Hehehe

jenkinhill

The package name sort of gives a clue - com_virtuemart.2.0.6_extract_first.zip for the most recent stable version. And in that package is 3 files:

com_virtuemart.2.0.6.tar.gz
com_virtuemart.2.0.6_ext_aio.tar.gz
README-VIRTUEMART.txt   

The readme file gives a link to the install instructions.

Most decent Linux servers will install the tar.gz files with no problems, but you may need to convert to zip format for some low end shared servers or for some localhost setups.

If you did not have the readme file then you will have installed one of the development versions, eg 2.0.7d
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum