News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

New Jewelry site: Need Feedback!

Started by marifer, June 17, 2005, 19:51:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marifer

hello everybody:
I am new to this forum and I am building a jewelry site using mambo-phpshop.  So far so good but I would like to get some feedback.  The url of the site is http://www.earringsetc.com - All feedback, ideas and comments are very welcome.

Thanks,
Marifer

ltllzrd

I can get on it now.

Congrats on getting it up and running!

Definitely set your site to be fixed width - it makes life much easier. I'm viewing your site in Firefox on a 1024 x 768 resolution. Your header is not long enough and your images are too large for the page and overlap - particularly when you click on "earings" from the shop menu.

I usually spend a good 2-3 days sorting out styles and table widths and image sizes to maintain a consistent look throughout the site regardless of what browser and what screen resolution. Once you get the styles and widths sorted out you can go nuts getting your products in.
Joomla 1.5.7 - VM 1.1.2
Saving the Internet from blinking text and animated dogs, one site at a time.

saint65

Congratulations on your site, i hope that you draw tonnes of traffic.
2 things to look at:

• Consider replacing the favicon.ico so that you have your own. There are lots of tools for making your own favicon- you can find out more at http://www.accessfp.net/faviconico.htm or just google it.
  • Also, you should note that your images overlap if the screen resolution is around 800 px wide, you may want to consider using images that are for fixed width screen.
  • [/li]

marifer

Thanks for the comments.... and pardon my ignorance but how do I set the width on mambo-phpshop?

Thanks again..I really appreciate it.

ltllzrd

The width is actually set in your Mambo template index.php file. Are you using an HTML editor like Dreamweaver?
Joomla 1.5.7 - VM 1.1.2
Saving the Internet from blinking text and animated dogs, one site at a time.

saint65

If you do your edits in Dreamweaver there are plugins that you can download that will allow you to modify your template with all the mambo elements that you want to include. http://www.mambosolutions.com/dw_tutorial/ this is good place to start.

You could simply insert below the </head><body> in your templates/yourtemplate/index.php something like a centred <div> or even <center><table.....</table></center> around your document.

The problem that i noticed with your site, was when i used 800 wide screen resolution, your page images started to pancake, by sliding close and on-top of each other. Suggest that you either use smaller "thumbnails" or go with fewer images per row in your category browse page- this can be set in the option under the shop where you created your categories- "show -x number of products per row...." but think about the size of the images. You are using a "popup enlarged" one anyway.

Hope this helps, you can download Dreamweaver tools from the link above too.
saint65

tendho

Congratulations !!

Your website looks really good. I viewed it on IE and Netscape. No problem. I was wondering about your FAQ page. Is it the module or component that you've used. If so then can you please tell me how can I get one like that.

Thanks a lot,

take care,

Tendho

pgreen

It looks nice with the Internet Explorer. When using the firefox browser the thumbnails seem to be too large: