News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Paypal error with tax calculation

Started by franzpeter, September 28, 2010, 12:49:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

franzpeter

I have a strange problem with customer paypal payments (standard paypal, not the api). If a customer has to pay for example 100 Euro for the product and 6 Euro shipping cost ( so it is 81 Euro + 19 Euro VAT (19%) +6 Euro shipping) the sum gets wrong calculated, while transfered to paypal. Instead of paying 106 Euro (100 Euro + 6 Euro for shipping), the calculation on paypal is the 106 Euro + 16%. So there is a tax calculation (16% = 16.96) as additional charge. How can that be? Where is the 16 % coming from? In the shop backend the calculation is correct and the order confirmation to the customer has the correct amount. I called paypal help by phone and they did confirm me, that there is no possibiltiy to add something like 16 percent in the paypal account, so the problem must come from virtuemart by sending something wrong. Did already check the database via phpmyadmin about 16 or 16%. There is nothing except of ids with 16, so there is nowhere something defined with 16%.

franzpeter

Sorry, maybe someone has the same problem and I forgot to post the solution. There is a hidden feature in paypal merchant accounts where you can set a fix rate, even if a shop system does not send the tax information. It is possible to define a fixed rate for countries or even for states. Before I did use a shop system which did not sent the tax rate to PayPal, so the whole calculation was done in PayPal itself. And that rate was still in Paypal (so the calculation was wrong). For someone with the same problem or for people, who need a second calculation (for example additional state taxes), it can happen in the merchant account too. To do so, or to delete old entries the following link may help:
https://www.paypal.com/de/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_profile-sales-tax