News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Strange Category links behaviour

Started by Freddo, March 22, 2022, 08:04:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freddo

Using the rc version of Virtuemart 3.8.9 10607 on a Joomla 4 clean install, with 2 languages, I got a strange behaviour on the category links... I don't know if this problem is because of Joomla 4 routing changes or because of Virtuemart.
The problem is generated when I want to add categories to a joomla menu, then the category links are showing parent category in category view... So to explain a bit better

I have for example main categories fruits, places and the subcategories bananas, apples peaches in fruits and mountains, villages in places, all saved in both languages.
I create in the menu the primary categories as virtuemart category layout so i have 2 menus (category layout) pointing to fruits and places and another 2 in the other language.
when I click on those menus i can see the subcategories in the page and the links to those are working corectly in both languages.
Then I add the sub categories to my menu. This is when the problem starts... the submenus are working correctlty but when I am in the primary category pages the links in the subcategories are pointing to the same category i am and the menu links still working correctly...
for example i go to fruits category... the menu items showing bananas apples etc working correctly but the image links in this page to bananas apples etc are showing fruits category.

This is very strange... I also tried this with 1 menu using language all and pointing with alias from other menus for different languages but the problem remains...

whenever i add a subcategory in a menu the links from the page are messed up...

Jumbo!

Yes, it is a problem with the VirtueMart router, which is still not fully compatible with Joomla 4. The issue should get fixed in future updates.

Freddo

pinochico

What's great about releasing broken rc versions and admitting a bug only after being notified? : D

Which of course should be fixed first - view in administration or router?

It's useless, it's useless, it's useless and it won't get any better, as Nicholson said.
www.minijoomla.org  - new portal for Joomla!, Virtuemart and other extensions
XML Easy Feeder - feeds for FB, GMC,.. from products, categories, orders, users, articles, acymailing subscribers and database table
Virtuemart Email Manager - customs email templates
Import products for Virtuemart - from CSV and XML
Rich Snippets - Google Structured Data
VirtueMart Products Extended - Slider with products, show Others bought, Products by CF ID and others filtering products

Clonners

Quote from: Jumbo! on March 22, 2022, 09:09:37 AM
Yes, it is a problem with the VirtueMart router, which is still not fully compatible with Joomla 4. The issue should get fixed in future updates.
How fast will this bug fix come out? But what are the solutions at the moment?

GJC Web Design

the dev is worked on constantly ... 3.8.9.10619 is the latest
GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation

Milbo

Quote from: pinochico on March 22, 2022, 15:09:25 PM
What's great about releasing broken rc versions and admitting a bug only after being notified? : D
If you assume, that I am god. You are right. But I am NOT god, so I do NOT know bugs until someone tells me.

The answer of Jumbo was a general answer, not that we know anything about that bug. And even if someone told us about this bug 2-3 hours before, what is the difference? Nothing, we have no duty to tell any bugs, which we find. Btw a RC version means "release candidate" version. It is not the offical release, it is a candidate for a release. You should really lean a bit about Opensource Projects. One rule of OpenSource Software (OOS) is, "Release early, release often", this is exactly what we do. We release as long RC versions as long there are bugs we want to address. There are some bugs we wont fix for the next release, for example the ugly vm module menu in j4, we do that later.

Quote from: pinochico on March 22, 2022, 15:09:25 PM
Which of course should be fixed first - view in administration or router?

It's useless, it's useless, it's useless and it won't get any better, as Nicholson said.
Yes, it is useless to answer to you. I do not remember that we got real help from your side or team. For example, you could write a new router for VM, which works the new joomla way. for post a patch for your mysterious customfield type boolean bug.

And for any others reading here. I WOULD NOT USE J4 on real shop! A recent version may block your superadmin account on Backend. I just found a bug in the joomla router, which is 100% a joomla bug. The router does not handle layouts with the name "default" correctly. Silly!
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Freddo

I am very sorry for all the inconvenience I brought on the team. I just wanted to find out if it was a bug or something else... It wasn't my purpose to start up a fight. As a developer I know all the hard work needed to be done for a extension in the size of virtuemart and especially for supporting a new major release of Joomla. For the little I have found out J4 is more "compatible" with the "new way" of writing extensions with namespaces and specific folder structure. Sorry again for all the fuzz I created and thank you all for your hard work.

Milbo

You do not need to say sorry. All good with you.
Yes J4 is more symphony style, or in other words, we have now a symphony release by joomla. Install joomla/vm, create a menu item for the cart. It wont work (at least last release). Then add a dummy xml in the view, for example with name edit. Then create a cart menu item with the layout edit. Tada it works. The cart sets the layout back to default and so it works. Joomla4 has a problem to resolve links, when the layout is just "default". So from my point of view it is not ready for a real shop.

Btw pinochico, yes you work on the Cz translation, I think. But look, the point is, there is nothing to complain. If you can do it better, than support us. What you request is that others do whatever work. You can do that yourself, or help us with it, but ranting isnt helpful
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member