News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Character Set problem?

Started by toocool, April 29, 2015, 08:03:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toocool

Hello!

I use Joomla 3.4.1 and VM 3.0.8. Only in Vm, when I add text to anywhere, and i save it, It goes to weird characters. I'm from Hungary and we use á. When I save "á" It looks like this "
	á". I think It's not in UTF-8. How can I fix this?

THANKS!

Jörgen

Hello

Does it show correctly in the front end of the shop ?
Does it get translated into this html safe code in every place when saved in the back end ?

You have also a carriage return (#13), line feed (#10) and horsontal tab (#9) added to the line. The "á" = á

I use Swedish characters å,ä,ö,ü which also seem to be translated, but only in some places in the backend. It makes
it quite difficult to read the saved text strings. I don´t have any solution to this right now. I can understand the idea
of showing these strings if it is those that actually get stored in the database. These translated characters obviously
take more room than they would have in the UTF-8 format. You can check that You have fields long enough to store
these in the database. If the database for some reason only has room for 50 charcters for a field the text could get
truncated when You use characters that translate into these kind of expanded strings when stored.

As far as I know the 'á' is included in UTF-8 the decoded value is a HTML-safe translation of the character. Have You
checked with phpadmin what actually gets stored  in the database ? If the actual UTF-8 chracter value gets stored then
there is some kind of double html-safe translation that occurs when it is displayed in the back end.

I could show some examples from my back end, just have to look for them first.

regards

Jörgen @ Kreativ Fotografi
Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x
Olympiantheme Hera (customized)
This reflects current status when viewing old post.

toocool

Thanks!

When I see the page's source code, It is wrong too. Only in the page good.

GJC Web Design

QuoteWhen I see the page's source code, It is wrong too. Only in the page good.

it can't be called "wrong" -- it is an encoding and display thing
The browser understands this encoding and displays it (as you see) correctly..
GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation