News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

multiple product import?

Started by spid3r1987, February 29, 2012, 10:30:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spid3r1987

Hi there
Iv done quite a few searches now on this subject but it may be just me wording things wrongly as im used to a different system...

is there a way i can import 1000 products with images and descriptions from a excel file or csv etc????

i could do this on a different system but want to move to this...

regards
Mike

TITUS8

Depends, I know phpmyadmin will import a csv file, as far as structure, I would use a search engine for the details. Assuming it will have the url structure for the images is possible, then you would simply upload the actual images to the specific folder..., virtuemart puts the image files for products in Joomlas directory for stories:

public_html/images/stories/virtuemart/product

So if you drop all the images in there, and update the links in the csv(database) its possible. May take some work, and you may still have to add manually to virtuemart products page, or attempt to place the products data in:

-- Database: `your_database`
--

-- --------------------------------------------------------

--
-- Table structure for table `jml_virtuemart_products_en_gb`
--

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `jml_virtuemart_products_en_gb` (
  `virtuemart_product_id` int(1) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
  `product_name` char(180) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
  `product_s_desc` varchar(2000) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
  `product_desc` varchar(18500) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
  `metadesc` char(192) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
  `metakey` char(192) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
  `customtitle` char(255) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
  `slug` char(192) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
  PRIMARY KEY (`virtuemart_product_id`),
  UNIQUE KEY `slug` (`slug`)
) ENGINE=MyISAM  DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8 COMMENT='Language en_gb for products' AUTO_INCREMENT=21 ;

--
-- Dumping data for table `jml_virtuemart_products_en_gb`
--

INSERT INTO `jml_virtuemart_products_en_gb` (`virtuemart_product_id`, `product_name`, `product_s_desc`, `product_desc`, `metadesc`, `metakey`

I would maybe change the tables in your cvs to match the data you want to correspond to the virtue mart...

this is a tall order, ecspecially considering the amount of products...it could be done, but it would take some time, I would recommend doing it on a local machine, using xampp or the like first...

or you could copy paste all the info in each table manually in the tables directly through phpmyadmin...

hope this helps...

jenkinhill

Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum